• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 QBs at this point

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,921.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol why are a # of people listing Andrew Luck? His team is terrible, he is entirely overrated. Good passer, but completely turnover prone. He has ZERO pocket awareness and is sacked constantly. 33 sacks this year already.

Can we all just admit Luck was NOT the next Manning coming, more like a Cutler, and just move on?

Great point.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol why are a # of people listing Andrew Luck? His team is terrible, he is entirely overrated. Good passer, but completely turnover prone. He has ZERO pocket awareness and is sacked constantly. 33 sacks this year already.

Can we all just admit Luck was NOT the next Manning coming, more like a Cutler, and just move on?
Let's think about this for like 10 seconds

1. The entire premise of the Colts offense is built on going downfield, and deep at that. It's not an accident their offense has guys like TY Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett. Very obvious theme there.
2. Luck's INT% despite this fact is 2, which is actually slightly above average. That's not exactly turnover prone.
3. Zero pocket presence? Dead wrong, he has some of the best in the entire league. You're mistaking pocket presence for an offense that is a dinosaur, and belongs in the early 2000's; similarly to McCarthy in GB, but Luck is performing much better due to better WR's.
4. What happens if you have a bottom 5 O-line in an offense specifically designed to go downfield? Sacks, lots of sacks. And sure enough, the Colts are near the bottom in sacks allowed.
5. Lower completion %, higher INT%, etc can at least partially be explained by the design of the offense.

The Cutler comparison is goofy at best. Luck does much, much more than Cutler does.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan
Brees
Carr
Rodgers
Prescott
Staff
Brady
mariota
Luck
Big Ben

Same guys, different order.

If Rivers could get thru the next three weeks with only a pick or two Id put him in there.

Drugs are good Smitty

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He missed four games for that horrible injustice to the integrity of the league.

His power rankings MUST reflect that.

I didn't mean Brady just a few others. Your just a homer and put Joey Harrington on top and Rodney Pete #2

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get used to Carr guys.....he's gonna be the best QB in the league very soon. Kid's a great leader and a player.
Carr is my fantasy league QB... :yes:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's think about this for like 10 seconds

1. The entire premise of the Colts offense is built on going downfield, and deep at that. It's not an accident their offense has guys like TY Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett. Very obvious theme there.
2. Luck's INT% despite this fact is 2, which is actually slightly above average. That's not exactly turnover prone.
3. Zero pocket presence? Dead wrong, he has some of the best in the entire league. You're mistaking pocket presence for an offense that is a dinosaur, and belongs in the early 2000's; similarly to McCarthy in GB, but Luck is performing much better due to better WR's.
4. What happens if you have a bottom 5 O-line in an offense specifically designed to go downfield? Sacks, lots of sacks. And sure enough, the Colts are near the bottom in sacks allowed.
5. Lower completion %, higher INT%, etc can at least partially be explained by the design of the offense.

The Cutler comparison is goofy at best. Luck does much, much more than Cutler does.

Andrew Luck currently holds the ball longer than any other QB in the NFL not named Tyrod Tayler..

Ranking all 32 NFL offensive lines entering Week 11

The Colts have allowed the most total pressures in the entire league, at 159, in 409 pass-blocking snaps. Only two lines have been asked to pass protect on more snaps (Green Bay and Jacksonville), but that still is the worst rate in the league, and a total that would be one of the worst we have seen over the past decade. The issue, though, is that Andrew Luck holds the ball longer than any QB in the league outside of Tyrod Taylor, averaging 2.75 seconds per attempt, so this line is pass blocking longer than nearly any other unit. The starting five is less of an issue than the depth, but any time they have been forced to the bench, things have been ugly. Jack Mewhort has yet to allow a single sack or hit across 298 pass-blocking snaps at guard.

And he doesn't do nearly the scrambling that Taylor does.

He currently ranks 18th in Air Yards/attempt

Quarterback Air Yards: 2016 NFL Season

It seems like there are always other people to blame when it comes to Andrew Luck(coached have a bad game plan, GM picks bad players, OL is terrible, running game is terrible). It's everyone's fault except for Andrew Luck.

Are those factors somewhat relevant? Sure. But a great QB should overcome that. IMO, he has degraded. He still has the ability but his performances should be getting better in his 5th season.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a bet is a bet.
sure like their kool-aid

These kids sure like their kool-aid. Whats the flavor this month?[/QUOTE]
Oh, Hambombs thought Alex Smith would outscore Phil Rivers over a five week span. He basicly got doubled up, but won't pay up.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mean Brady just a few others. Your just a homer and put Joey Harrington on top and Rodney Pete #2
Staff really is having an excellent year.

Year 8, bout time.

Always been a huge yardage guy, he's making good decisions now. Only one real dumb turnover out of him. And no force feeding without Calvin.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Luck currently holds the ball longer than any other QB in the NFL not named Tyrod Tayler..

Ranking all 32 NFL offensive lines entering Week 11
As implied, he holds onto the ball for quite some time... because that's what the offense inevitably produces with its scheme, predicated on going downfield, well, tries to go downfield. I don't really buy the Colts' OL being 22nd, but I digress about PFF grades.

And he doesn't do nearly the scrambling that Taylor does.

He currently ranks 18th in Air Yards/attempt

Quarterback Air Yards: 2016 NFL Season

It seems like there are always other people to blame when it comes to Andrew Luck(coached have a bad game plan, GM picks bad players, OL is terrible, running game is terrible). It's everyone's fault except for Andrew Luck.
I'd argue the scheme is still predicated on going downfield, but the OL doesn't allow for it thus cutting down on air yards per attempt. It's a poorly constructed scheme with poor route combinations, or perhaps stale would be a better word to describe it. It's a symptom of failure, not a refutation of the description. Is Luck at fault for some of the problems? Sure and he probably is overrated to an extent, but it's also worth noting the Colts are 7th in PPG. Using Cutler as a comparison is just an overreaction in the other direction.

Are those factors somewhat relevant? Sure. But a great QB should overcome that. IMO, he has degraded. He still has the ability but his performances should be getting better in his 5th season.
I tend to question this given the state of Packers at the moment. But it certainly is something to consider.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As implied, he holds onto the ball for quite some time... because that's what the offense inevitably produces with its scheme, predicated on going downfield, well, tries to go downfield. I don't really buy the Colts' OL being 22nd, but I digress about PFF grades.

Point being that they aren't particularly good but there are other bad OLs as well. The Vikings are playing a MASH unit. The Seahawks have a rookie LT who played basketball in college.

Excusing his mistakes because they are a downfield team only goes so far.

I'd argue the scheme is still predicated on going downfield, but the OL doesn't allow for it thus cutting down on air yards per attempt. It's a poorly constructed scheme with poor route combinations, or perhaps stale would be a better word to describe it. It's a symptom of failure, not a refutation of the description. Is Luck at fault for some of the problems? Sure and he probably is overrated to an extent, but it's also worth noting the Colts are 7th in PPG. Using Cutler as a comparison is just an overreaction in the other direction.

On a previous there was a Niner fan I would argue with who ADAMANTLY said that the only thing holding back Colin Kaepernick was Greg Roman. He believed that Roman limited Kaep. Turns out that Roman protected Kaep and he hasn't been the same since Roman left.

You can blame the coaches for some things. But ultimately it is the responsibility of the players to succeed. He holds onto the ball too long. You can't really argue against that when he holds the ball longer than anyone besides Taylor. It's not like he's a scrambler.

I tend to question this given the state of Packers at the moment. But it certainly is something to consider.

Aaron Rodgers is playing well below his normal level. And their defense is atrocious right now.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excusing his mistakes because they are a downfield team only goes so far.
Right, but It's not as though the Colts offense for all of its flaws is helpless exactly. It's 7th in PPG. Probably not as good as that number in truth, but I am not really attempting to exalt or exonerate Luck here (except maybe in the sense that I think a Cutler comparison is dubious) merely contextualizing some of the claims Shark was making. While I myself like Luck quite a bit still, it's completely rational to argue he's overrated. Reasonable arguments for that.

On a previous there was a Niner fan I would argue with who ADAMANTLY said that the only thing holding back Colin Kaepernick was Greg Roman. He believed that Roman limited Kaep. Turns out that Roman protected Kaep and he hasn't been the same since Roman left.

While an instructive thought experiment (IIRC that leaked over here and may even remember a couple of the commenters involved) It seems fairly rational to think the Colts system puts quite a bit of stress on Luck to produce for the team, and does very little to protect him; or at least so it would appear that way outside looking in. They aren't exactly trying to avoid the hits (or at least not competently if they are) via scheme. Asking a QB to consistently be accurate deep down the field isn't exactly protecting the QB or asking him to 'manage' the game either. That to me is an important qualitative difference between what Roman was doing with Kaep and what the Colts have been doing with Luck.

Aaron Rodgers is playing well below his normal level. And their defense is atrocious right now.
That's true, but it's also true the Colts defense is well below par themselves. I don't think it's completely out of bounds to ask if the surrounding cast limits Luck for vaguely similar reasons, even if not for the exact same reasons.

It's not like he's a scrambler.
Luck ran a sub 4.7, he might not be a scrambler per se, but he's plenty mobile and can scramble on an as need basis. Not exactly a viny build at that. Seems pretty fleet of foot on an as need basis every time I've seen him. Certainly not Tyrod Taylor or anything, but plenty capable.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For this season:
  1. Brady
  2. Ryan
  3. Brees
  4. Prescott
  5. Rivers/Mariota/Luck
if you removed all 3 from the 5th spot & inserted Derek Carr, this would be a very hard list of top 5 (so far) to argue with.

Brady has been bad ass since coming back (& no I am not a pats fan , not even close)
Matt Ryan seems to be putting it all together (Killer season)
Drew Brees is being Drew Brees, but honestly not even his best season.
Prescott might be one bone head play away (WR not getting out of bounds) from being undefeated.
Derek Carr needs some serious Props. He completes an offense that can beat a bad ass Denver Defense. Outscored a Bad ass Saints offense. He definitely deserves to be in the top 5 QBs this year so far.
Really 1 & 2 should be 1 & 2 on everyones list right now (this year so far)
3,4,5 I wouldn't argue in any order, but I believe this is the ticket for the top 5 so far as a group.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wins are an important stat certainly. But not the only one.

Colin Kaepernick was 7-2 in his first year as a starter.
except he did it with one of the baddest defenses there was that year.

Dak & the Cowboys offense is protecting the Cowboys defense.