• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 Coaches Most Likely to Win Their First Title

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And outscored and WON the game against the BEST offense the Big Xii had to offer TOO. Of course, they could have lost a game in the Xii like they did in the SEC that season (@ Auburn), but give the SEC Champion that BEAT the Big Xii Champion with the Heisman Trophy winning QB some credit. OU had a month to prepare for Georgia too! lol.
ou could have had 3 months.. it's defense would have gotten shredded regardless.. GA defense was supposed to be the nations best

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ou could have had 3 months.. it's defense would have gotten shredded regardless.. GA defense was supposed to be the nations best
That's a great point, and I get it. All I am saying is that OU's offense was supposed to be superior to Georgia's too, and it turned out not to be. That stuff goes both ways. At least, that was a GREAT game! I enjoyed the hell out of watching that one even though I wanted BOTH teams to lose! lol

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a great point, and I get it. All I am saying is that OU's offense was supposed to be superior to Georgia's too, and it turned out not to be. That stuff goes both ways. At least, that was a GREAT game! I enjoyed the hell out of watching that one even though I wanted BOTH teams to lose! lol

How exactly do you come the the conclusion that OU’s offense was not superior to Georgia’s?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year was a weak season of QB play in the conference. I truly believe that GA, Bama would have gotten clipped once in 2018 had they played a Big 12 schedule.

LOL, that's why people think you're dumb.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re basing the quality of a conference on the seed their best team gets? An you talk about others not being smart enough? LOLz

If you're the last guy picked every year, it's probably because you are not very good. But you could keep telling yourself otherwise:

iu

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't be serious... With Fromm?

That offense was very good. Finished 5th offensively in efficiency. Avg 35.5 PPG, and that was with playing 5 games against top 10 defenses. Also, the team was loaded with NFL players. Fromm, Michel, Chubb, Hardman, Wims, Ridley, 4 guys from the O-line were drafted, 2 in the 1st.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're the last guy picked every year, it's probably because you are not very good. But you could keep telling yourself otherwise:

iu

So because Clemson was a 3 seed and OU was a 4 seed the ACC was better than the B12? As I stated shouldn’t be commenting on the knowledge of others if this is your stance.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall? The Big Xii.

However, 2017 Georgia, 2018 Alabama and 2019 LSU were just as good or better offensively than any Big Xii team in those 3 years + they all had big, fast defensive lines - which is why they could beat OU (Alabama and LSU handily without being threatened). Alabama literally destroyed OU's O-line (which was considered the best in the country) in the Orange Bowl until they were up 28-0.

FWIW, Iowa State gives Big Xii offenses fits! I love my Cyclones, but if ISU can hang with Big Xii offenses, so can Georgia, Alabama and LSU!

:D
I totally get that certain teams from conferences in certain years are "just as good or better offensively" than the Big 12. But, no way they are like that up and down the whole conference over the past several years...sans last year. Seems like the Big 12 thinks they must sacrifice offense in order to play good defense. I don't buy it but many do...so what the hell do I know.

Last year was a bit different. Every conference may have had better offensive/QB play than the Big 12. Ohio State, Clemson and LSU were for sure. Even those are from three different conferences and in two of those three they were the ONLY one like that.

IMO, the only individual schools in the CFP era that have had better offensive/QB play than the Big 12 are:
2014 Ohio State and Oregon...and Ohio State did it with three QBs
2015 Clemson and Alabama
2016 Clemson and Alabama
2017 None - Georgia's offense only looked good because of how shitty OU's defense was. (OU was good but they are Big 12 so I left them out.)
2018 Clemson (Again OU was good but....)
2019 - LSU, Clemson, Ohio State (OU was not)

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So because Clemson was a 3 seed and OU was a 4 seed the ACC was better than the B12? As I stated shouldn’t be commenting on the knowledge of others if this is your stance.

That's great and all, but when one conference has been left out 4 times and one conference has been left out twice and given the 4 seed 3 times, they are definitely trying to tell you something. One instance is not a trend, 5 of 6 years is.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's great and all, but when one conference has been left out 4 times and one conference has been left out twice and given the 4 seed 3 times, they are definitely trying to tell you something. One instance is not a trend, 5 of 6 years is.

That’s nice and all, but a conference is made up of more then the top 2 teams. LSU winning the title is not what made the SEC the best conference in 2019. It was the depth the SEC had, just as I’m sure anyone with a brain wouldn’t argue the ACC was the 3rd or even 2nd best conference because of Clemson. Understand what I’m getting at?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that is just wrong. OU’s offense was superior than Georgia’s offense and that isn’t even a question. Flip the defenses in that game and the score would have been 70-13

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 10 coaches most likely to win first national championship

Very interesting list, I'll post it below. There is further detail in the link for each pick.

1. Ryan Day - Ohio State
2. James Franklin - Penn State
3. Dan Mullen - Florida
4. Lincoln Riley - Oklahoma
5. Kirby Smart - Georgia
6. Brian Kelly - Notre Dame
7. Mario Cristobal - Oregon
8. Tom Herman - Texas
9. Gus Malzahn - Auburn
10. Josh Heupel - UCF

1. Day.. it isn’t close
2. Mullen
3. Smart

after that I will say Malzahn or Herman and I don’t see that happening soon

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that speaks to talent. The Big 12 is kind of the little engine that could. I thinking the coaches in the league are arguably the best collection of any league. The issue is it is mostly fly over country that produces very little elite talent. Most the schools just don’t have the infrastructure to compete at the highest levels. It’s tough conference to play in with a week break, but in the end only OU and Texas has the ability to really compete with The top of CFB’s food chain. Texas is far from running near its historic highs

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that speaks to talent. The Big 12 is kind of the little engine that could. I thinking the coaches in the league are arguably the best collection of any league. The issue is it is mostly fly over country that produces very little elite talent. Most the schools just don’t have the infrastructure to compete at the highest levels. It’s tough conference to play in with a week break, but in the end only OU and Texas has the ability to really compete with The top of CFB’s food chain. Texas is far from running near its historic highs

Every team in the league with the exception of West Virginia recruits Texas heavily, hell we recruit Texas heavily, as it is some of the most fertile recruiting land in the country. There are plenty of good teams in equally shitty situations recruiting wise and plenty of shitty teams in great recruiting markets(looking at you Maryland).

I would also say that the B12 having the best collection of coaching talent is very arguable.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team in the league with the exception of West Virginia recruits Texas heavily, hell we recruit Texas heavily, as it is some of the most fertile recruiting land in the country. There are plenty of good teams in equally shitty situations recruiting wise and plenty of shitty teams in great recruiting markets(looking at you Maryland).

I would also say that the B12 having the best collection of coaching talent is very arguable.

What does ISU have to offer a kid from Texas? Kansas State? That was a knee jerk response without much thought given to it. Even Lubbock is an 8 hour drive to Houston. Tuscaloosa is 9 hours to put it in perspective. Those schools don’t have the history or resources to compete with national powers for Texas kids. They scrape together rosters of 3 star kids if they are lucky.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does ISU have to offer a kid from Texas? Kansas State? That was a knee jerk response without much thought given to it. Even Lubbock is an 8 hour drive to Houston. Tuscaloosa is 9 hours to put it in perspective. Those schools don’t have the history or resources to compete with national powers for Texas kids. They scrape together rosters of 3 star kids if they are lucky.
:dingdingding:
100% true...or for a natty. Nearly every conference really has only 2-4 schools that have the potential to compete for a natty year in and year out...and only then if they don't screw stuff up. (Currently looking at you USC, Texas, Michigan, etal) The SEC might stretch that number to five.

The lessers can catch lightening in a bottle every now and then. But, again, that is only if the ones previously mentioned are all shitting the bed the same year.

Tech can find a Mahomes occastionally, Same with Miss St and Prescott as examples. None are good enough to get a steady diet of that kind of talent in an abundant manner. JMO.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean we can go further back.. Did they have a great defense when they lost at home to ou? or getting blown out by Iowa?
Why are you leaving out when we smoked OU by even more in their own house the year before? How about Iowa beating Iowa State 5 years in a row now, holding them to 17 or fewer points in 4 of the 5 games?

Or how about the fact that over the last decade, the Big 12 only has a winning record against 4 of the 11 current B1G teams that they faced - michigan (1-0), Minnesota (3-0), Northwestern (2-0) and Purdue (2-0)?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Day.. it isn’t close
2. Mullen
3. Smart

after that I will say Malzahn or Herman and I don’t see that happening soon
I like Mullen, and I think he's a really good coach, but I'm not sure I'd put him over Smart, or even Lincoln Riley right now.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Mullen, and I think he's a really good coach, but I'm not sure I'd put him over Smart, or even Lincoln Riley right now.

I have Lincoln and Smart lower for the same reasons. Both need to figure out the other side of the ball. Smart needs to move the offense out of the 80s. Lincoln reminds me of Kingsbury. Both are great offensive minds, but maybe a bit too focused on their side of the ball. OU defense has been run over in the CFB playoffs, the answer to that problem was to bring in a guy that likes to run smaller stunting fronts. Aggressive philosophy that can be unsound, but looks to create turnovers and negative plays to compensate.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU defense has been run over in the CFB playoffs, the answer to that problem was to bring in a guy that likes to run smaller stunting fronts. Aggressive philosophy that can be unsound, but looks to create turnovers and negative plays to compensate.
Why this philosophy? I mean I like it at times. But, this sounds more like a philosophy that places like Texas Tech and Washington State are forced to adopt since they can't recruit like an OU or a USC can.

But, what the hell do I know!