• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 Coaches Most Likely to Win Their First Title

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why I always felt that Tulane, yes Tulane in the Big 12 would be a great fit being located in Nawlins. I too, feel that GaTech could be a school, with the right coach, that could compete at a high level in the ACC. If they could somehow admit more women, it would be a great sell being in Atlanta and all.
Maybe I'm wrong, but the only private school I see ever having a chance at a natty is USC. I think Tulane would end up about like TCU or Baylor. Those two have reached their ceiling IMO.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm wrong, but the only private school I see ever having a chance at a natty is USC. I think Tulane would end up about like TCU or Baylor. Those two have reached their ceiling IMO.
I'd add Notre Dame too.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Bob Stull was a good coach at UTEP. Then, he went to Mizzou and flopped. Should have stayed in El Paso and built a WAC power!
I agree. He and Mike Brumbelow are the ONLY decent ones we've had.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Miami is a private school also. (ND, BYU, and Northwestern are the big ones).

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd add Notre Dame too.
True. I forgot about them.

But, I'm not sure kids today even care about "storied" pasts. Notre Dame has at least made a CFP appearance. (Although their performance in it calls into question their placement.) That's why I think USC better do something quick or they'll be an afterthought as well...ala Nebraska.

I'll bet none of us old farts would ever see the day that kids thought more highly of Clemson than USC, Notre Dame or Nebraska!

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami is a private school also. (ND, BYU, and Northwestern are the big ones).
Do you think Miami, BYU or Northwestern have a legitimate shot at a natty in today's environment?

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. I forgot about them.

But, I'm not sure kids today even care about "storied" pasts. Notre Dame has at least made a CFP appearance. (Although their performance in it calls into question their placement.) That's why I think USC better do something quick or they'll be an afterthought as well...ala Nebraska.

I'll bet none of us old farts would ever see the day that kids thought more highly of Clemson than USC, Notre Dame or Nebraska!
Clemson clocked Alabama too. Right year and right opponents, ND is very capable of winning the CFB Playoff.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Miami, BYU or Northwestern have a legitimate shot at a natty in today's environment?

Miami I’ll never understand, they play in a weak conference and have had 4 of their last 5 recruiting classes in the top 25 with 3 of those in the top 13. They should be a yes to your question but they probably are a no at this point.

The other 2 I see no shot.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami I’ll never understand, they play in a weak conference and have had 4 of their last 5 recruiting classes in the top 25 with 3 of those in the top 13. They should be a yes to your question but they probably are a no at this point.

The other 2 I see no shot.

Even crazier they actually develop talent at a level well above their records. Hard to say what happened there. Seems like the admin wanted to clean up the image and de emphasize football. Student body is 18-20k, so it’s a very large private school. Compare that to TCU at ~10k.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying Tulane would be a title contending school but they could be competitive like Baylor or TCU. Plus who doesn't want a road trip to Nawlins every other year?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even crazier they actually develop talent at a level well above their records. Hard to say what happened there. Seems like the admin wanted to clean up the image and de emphasize football. Student body is 18-20k, so it’s a very large private school. Compare that to TCU at ~10k.

If you think about it too their coaching hasn’t been amazing since Butch Davis left. Cocker success was obviously a product of Butchs teams, Randy Shannon underachieved badly on offense, Al Golden looked in over his head, Richt just up and quit and now they have Diaz. That has to have something to do with it. With that schedule they had last year and those recruiting classes I mentioned 6-6 last year was awful.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think about it too their coaching hasn’t been amazing since Butch Davis left. Cocker success was obviously a product of Butchs teams, Randy Shannon underachieved badly on offense, Al Golden looked in over his head, Richt just up and quit and now they have Diaz. That has to have something to do with it. With that schedule they had last year and those recruiting classes I mentioned 6-6 last year was awful.
Diaz is a bad HC, he made a smart hire with Lashley but I'm sure he will goof it up anyways

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diaz is a bad HC, he made a smart hire with Lashley but I'm sure he will goof it up anyways

I think you are a bit tainted by the Texas experience. Diaz is a solid DC. The Akina/Diaz feud destroyed the defenses

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are a bit tainted by the Texas experience. Diaz is a solid DC. The Akina/Diaz feud destroyed the defenses
Yeah he screwed it so bad that Gregg Robinson was able to come in an immediately turn around the defense ..during the season.

I'll never forget _iaz face on the sideline vs BYU where he told Mack "I got this" and proceeded to not stop Taysom Hill. But maybe Akina worked his magic while _iaz was under Richt at Miami too?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he screwed it so bad that Gregg Robinson was able to come in an immediately turn around the defense ..during the season.

I'll never forget _iaz face on the sideline vs BYU where he told Mack "I got this" and proceeded to not stop Taysom Hill. But maybe Akina worked his magic while _iaz was under Richt at Miami too?

are you surprised that Akina was happy with a coach the came in and went blitz happy and 0 coverage? Akina hates zone, Diaz is a zone blitz guy, and he was vocal with his disagreements. Defenses don’t work when they aren’t coordinated. Take a look at Diaz’s defenses at every stop outside of Texas. It won’t take long to realize that Texas is the outlier in his resume.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are you surprised that Akina was happy with a coach the came in and went blitz happy and 0 coverage? Akina hates zone, Diaz is a zone blitz guy, and he was vocal with his disagreements. Defenses don’t work when they aren’t coordinated. Take a look at Diaz’s defenses at every stop outside of Texas. It won’t take long to realize that Texas is the outlier in his resume.
he was part of a toxic locker room at Miami too. He did well at Texas his first year because it seems they all do well during their first season. He did well, Vance Bedford did well, Todd Orlando did well. But it's crazy how he got humiliated vs BYU and that had nothing to do with zone or man to man coverage

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was part of a toxic locker room at Miami too. He did well at Texas his first year because it seems they all do well during their first season. He did well, Vance Bedford did well, Todd Orlando did well. But it's crazy how he got humiliated vs BYU and that had nothing to do with zone or man to man coverage

his defenses at MSU, la tech, and Miami have all been good. Problem at Miami is a brutal offense and more to the pt a speed bump OL. Texas is the only place his defenses were bad. It was a terrible fit and a poor hire by Mack. It’s 1 reason I don’t like when people hire Coordinators and don’t let them bring in position coaches. I was told about the issues from a former player. Just like stories of Koenig and Watson being pulled apart. People talk about team chemistry, but coaches being on the same page is just as important