• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Toni Kukoc on the LeBron/Curry Debate

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry needs to sustain this level of success for another 3-4 years in order to be in the all-time, conversations.

Also debating who the better player is for this season is completely pointless. You could take any of the top 5, hell even top 10 players, and could make an argument for any of them if you were to build a team around them.

If you swap Lebron and Curry for each other, neither the Warriors, nor the Cavs are better.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you swap Lebron and Curry for each other, neither the Warriors, nor the Cavs are better.

Yeah, when I stop and think about it I think you're right. I think both teams would get worse. The positions get out of whack. Green & LeBron and Curry & Kyrie would make for odd starting pairs.

Now if you swapped Curry & Green for Kyrie & LeBron... that would be interesting.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know you would lick his balls and a little of the gooch then finger pop dat asshole. Settle down there.

Finger poppin that ass.. :tsk: Where u been man?

Pipp finger popped Ewing's head with his balls on that dunk.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, when I stop and think about it I think you're right. I think both teams would get worse. The positions get out of whack. Green & LeBron and Curry & Kyrie would make for odd starting pairs.

Now if you swapped Curry & Green for Kyrie & LeBron... that would be interesting.

That would be a massive win for the Cavs. Kyrie is overrated.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry is great, but it helps his cause when everyone else on his team can D Up like a mofo AND stretch the floor with incredibly efficient shooting. If Curry were on the Bobcats, I'm sure he wouldn't look near as good. He would definitely be a perennial all star player, but not Unstoppable like he is now.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry is great, but it helps his cause when everyone else on his team can D Up like a mofo AND stretch the floor with incredibly efficient shooting. If Curry were on the Bobcats, I'm sure he wouldn't look near as good. He would definitely be a perennial all star player, but not Unstoppable like he is now.

Also true. Situation and surrounding talent matter far more than most are willing to admit.

That is why I think it is crazy to base best of all time arguments solely off rings.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like an interior post defender isn't an exceptionally difficult thing to find. Tyson Chandler wasn't exactly a superstar.

Fact of the matter is that Dirk had 2 really good playoff runs with relatively little talent and after his title he had his team blown up. I think history is going to be really kind to Dirk.
Hmmmm....I know he's made the playoffs in his career more than not but when I think of him & history The thing that stands out to me was that Warriors team that was the 8th seed (first season in the playoffs after 13 year drought) went up against Dirk & his Mavs & sent them home. :D

CodeBreaker

Dismember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now: Curry
Career: LeBron obviously

Today's Curry or Prime LeBron
This one's tough but I take Prime LeBron.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree. Steph is great, but prime Lebron was a better all around player than Curry and because of his mix of size, strength and athleticism was able to do things that Curry can't because he's not big enough.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steph Curry is not near the complete player LeBron James is. Never has been- never will be. He is maybe the best shooter in the history of the game- but he does not nearly have the effect on the game that LeBron has.

Defense
Passing
Versatility
Scoring
Intelligence

LeBron could play any position on the freaking court- and the only person in the history of the game that could rival his size, basketball acumen and passing ability is Magic Johnson. LeBron has multiple All- NBA defensive teams. LeBron has LED his team in rebounding before - in addition to points, assists, steals, blocks ALL in the same season.

In no way shape or form will Steph Curry ever have the same- or close to- all around impact that LeBron James has had. I know for a 100% stone cold fact that there is no way on Gods Green earth Steph Curry could have taken that 07 team to the Finals that LeBron did...not even a chance. Ill guarantee you if the Cavs are at full strength- and Steph Curry is missing Klay and Draymond- that no way on Gods green earth does Steph steal 2 games and have one of the most prolific series in history....etc... etc... etc...i could go on.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ask me Lebron is better than Curry.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm....I know he's made the playoffs in his career more than not but when I think of him & history The thing that stands out to me was that Warriors team that was the 8th seed (first season in the playoffs after 13 year drought) went up against Dirk & his Mavs & sent them home. :D

Saddest League MVP presentation that I've ever seen :tsk:.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's just hard to compare the two. Lebron was the best at making the players around him better, he carried those Cleveland days back in the day with no much help. And then in Miami he had his best seasons IMO. He could have won more titles but it doesn't always work out like that.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steph Curry is not near the complete player LeBron James is. Never has been- never will be. He is maybe the best shooter in the history of the game- but he does not nearly have the effect on the game that LeBron has.

Defense
Passing
Versatility
Scoring
Intelligence

LeBron could play any position on the freaking court- and the only person in the history of the game that could rival his size, basketball acumen and passing ability is Magic Johnson. LeBron has multiple All- NBA defensive teams. LeBron has LED his team in rebounding before - in addition to points, assists, steals, blocks ALL in the same season.

In no way shape or form will Steph Curry ever have the same- or close to- all around impact that LeBron James has had. I know for a 100% stone cold fact that there is no way on Gods Green earth Steph Curry could have taken that 07 team to the Finals that LeBron did...not even a chance. Ill guarantee you if the Cavs are at full strength- and Steph Curry is missing Klay and Draymond- that no way on Gods green earth does Steph steal 2 games and have one of the most prolific series in history....etc... etc... etc...i could go on.

The difference between Steph and Lebron is Steph needs good to very good players around him. Lebron, as we have seen, doesn't. It's as simple as that. If Steph doesn't have his number 2 and number 3 guys, Draymond and Klay, like you said vs a Cavs team, it's a sweep. Especially, if they have the healthy team. Even with just Lebron and no Kyrie and Love, the Cavs win the series. Steph can takeover a game but if he is on an island by himself like Lebron he can only do so much, unlike Lebron who is used to it throughout most of his career.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between Steph and Lebron is Steph needs good to very good players around him. Lebron, as we have seen, doesn't. It's as simple as that. If Steph doesn't have his number 2 and number 3 guys, Draymond and Klay, like you said vs a Cavs team, it's a sweep. Especially, if they have the healthy team. Even with just Lebron and no Kyrie and Love, the Cavs win the series. Steph can takeover a game but if he is on an island by himself like Lebron he can only do so much, unlike Lebron who is used to it throughout most of his career.

Interesting take on Lebron considering his only two championships have come with the Heat when they had arguably 3 of the top 10 players in the game at the time, 2 of the top 5. He decided to leave the Cavs to join a super team, but he probably doesn't need good talent around him to win.

Also interesting that Lebron chose to jump ship once again, only with the stipulation that the Cavs keep Kyrie and trade for Love.

:kermit:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take on Lebron considering his only two championships have come with the Heat when they had arguably 3 of the top 10 players in the game at the time, 2 of the top 5. He decided to leave the Cavs to join a super team, but he probably doesn't need good talent around him to win.

Also interesting that Lebron chose to jump ship once again, only with the stipulation that the Cavs keep Kyrie and trade for Love.

:kermit:
u think Curry is taking that 07 team to the Finals? lol....or could have done what LeBron did in the Finals last year considering his teams injuries? I think its highly highly highly HIGHLY unlikely.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u think Curry is taking that 07 team to the Finals? lol....or could have done what LeBron did in the Finals last year considering his teams injuries? I think its highly highly highly HIGHLY unlikely.

I didn't say it was right or wrong. I was just pointing out its an interesting way to view the comparison, considering Lebron's only true success has come in the form of joining up with super teams.

If you want to cling to the 07 Finals, that's cool. But Lebron played in the East which was basically a cake walk. When he played against a real team, the Spurs, they were swept.

Other than that Lebron had mostly second round appearances in, again I can't stress this enough, the weakest conference at it's peak. He knew he had to play with a superior team to win, and that's what he's done.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say it was right or wrong. I was just pointing out its an interesting way to view the comparison, considering Lebron's only true success has come in the form of joining up with super teams.

If you want to cling to the 07 Finals, that's cool. But Lebron played in the East which was basically a cake walk. When he played against a real team, the Spurs, they were swept.

Other than that Lebron had mostly second round appearances in, again I can't stress this enough, the weakest conference at it's peak. He knew he had to play with a superior team to win, and that's what he's done.

Sports turns winning and losing into such a rigid dichotomy that results in statements like this. And I get it. In sports it all comes down to winning. How close you get doesn't really matter. You win or you lose, no in between.

But in terms of evaluating the 'success' of a player or a team I don't really like it. The Cavs had a lot of success in their first 7 years with LeBron. Ultimately, they failed to win the championship. But there were plenty of victories and successes along the way.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports turns winning and losing into such a rigid dichotomy that results in statements like this. And I get it. In sports it all comes down to winning. How close you get doesn't really matter. You win or you lose, no in between.

But in terms of evaluating the 'success' of a player or a team I don't really like it. The Cavs had a lot of success in their first 7 years with LeBron. Ultimately, they failed to win the championship. But there were plenty of victories and successes along the way.

I totally agree. The premise I was getting to, was it was unfair to say Steph could not be successful without a supporting cast, while Lebron has?

Lebron is a prodigy. He was physically ready for the game at a young age, which lead to success at a young age. Steph had a game that had to be nurtured and developed. Along the way of that development, players around him also improved their game. On it's face value, you can't say Lebron has succeeded while Curry has failed because the argument is the same for both. Both of their successes are predicated on their team.