• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Toni Kukoc on the LeBron/Curry Debate

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree. The premise I was getting to, was it was unfair to say Steph could not be successful without a supporting cast, while Lebron has?

Lebron is a prodigy. He was physically ready for the game at a young age, which lead to success at a young age. Steph had a game that had to be nurtured and developed. Along the way of that development, players around him also improved their game. On it's face value, you can't say Lebron has succeeded while Curry has failed because the argument is the same for both. Both of their successes are predicated on their team.

Yeah, very well said. We don't know what today's Curry would accomplish on a mediocre roster, because we haven't seen it. Also.... its very possible that the roster of players around him wouldn't be seen as such a great roster without Curry leading the way. They both benefit from each other and its hard to know the extent to which each is benefiting. Same for LeBron and some of his supporting casts.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in terms of evaluating the 'success' of a player or a team I don't really like it. The Cavs had a lot of success in their first 7 years with LeBron. Ultimately, they failed to win the championship. But there were plenty of victories and successes along the way.

Not to be an asshole. But it is a history of not winning that leads to statements like this. Bottom line in sports is that there is ultimately 1 winner and only one team is truly successful at the end of the season.

Sure, there are levels of success and teams that don't win championships can have what they consider successful seasons. But that's based on things like player development, team progress over the previous season, etc. Heck, if a team wins the draft lottery, that can be considered a modicum of success.

End of the day though, those are all consolation prizes.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be an asshole. But it is a history of not winning that leads to statements like this. Bottom line in sports is that there is ultimately 1 winner and only one team is truly successful at the end of the season.

Sure, there are levels of success and teams that don't win championships can have what they consider successful seasons. But that's based on things like player development, team progress over the previous season, etc. Heck, if a team wins the draft lottery, that can be considered a modicum of success.

End of the day though, those are all consolation prizes.

Yeah, I agree with all of that. This is what is at the root of competition and it is ultimately what I think makes sports so great. I don't want to downplay that or look like I'm making excuses for anything.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its very possible that the roster of players around him wouldn't be seen as such a great roster without Curry leading the way. They both benefit from each other and its hard to know the extent to which each is benefiting.

:10: Bingo! I think when both ends of the spectrum are being met equally the end result is what we're seeing in this Warriors team. BALANCE on both ends.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, when I stop and think about it I think you're right. I think both teams would get worse. The positions get out of whack. Green & LeBron and Curry & Kyrie would make for odd starting pairs.

Now if you swapped Curry & Green for Kyrie & LeBron... that would be interesting.

I like Draymonds game.

But, would he put up those types of stats if he didn't play with 2 shooters?

I used to always say that Amare, Joe Johnson should have to pay Steve Nash 15% of their salary for the rest of their careers because he made them look like Superstars.

I think the same can be said about Curry.

Klay and Green deserve max/ near max money because he keeps the defense so honest that they have the room to do their thing.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry's the best player in the NBA now. LeBron's obviously an all time great but he's showing the miles and he's always held the ball for too long. Curry gets the ball, see's if there's something there, and then gives it up if there isn't. Bron has burnt too much clock just holding the damn rock his entire career and given his teammates tough choices with little time to work with. I'm not saying he's not awesome but he could have been better if he just rotated the ball quicker.