• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to get a goalie??

PhillyBoston781

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe it was fate the Flyers played Miller then Thomas this year.

You think losing three games because of the other team's outstanding goalie play (unless you'd prefer to blame Boucher's weak second goal last night), sprinkled in with a game lost due to terrible Flyers goalie play, will finally get the front office to find a goalie this off season? That's four of the five losses that can be attributed directly to goal tending.

The rest of the Flyers' team has no margin for error, and they still managed to pull out the Sabres series. I'm not sure it'll be enough after game one of this series. If they don't win both games in Boston, I can't see them making a historic comeback two years in a row against the same team.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many of the same threads are you going to do??? lol

Seriously though - I think we all can admit/agree that a top tier goalie HAS to be priority one in the off season. What we are bringing up isn't ready and if we hope to have any real success going forward, a solid, proven goalie must be acquired.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
its just unfortunate that every year we go through this. needless to say i don't think that bouch was bad by any means last night. but you need your goalie to steal atleast 1 game for you in the playoffs and we never have one that can.

indyflyr

Da Oracle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'm with you on this one tox.

there isn't anything that can be said that we don't already know. we need a goalie. we know it. holmgren knows it. boston knows it.

we win or lose by outscoring the opponent. simple as that.

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
front office didnt want to overpay last years goalies. Turco is now on the bench and Nabokov didnt want to play here. They tried atleast and to counter this they signed more firepower and Dmen. Boosh let in 1 terrible goal and 1 ok goal and 1 good goal. Lets not forget about the numerous scoring chances we had (briere breakaway) and we decided to go low on Thomas all night instead of high.

PhillyBoston781

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How many of the same threads are you going to do??? lol

Seriously though - I think we all can admit/agree that a top tier goalie HAS to be priority one in the off season. What we are bringing up isn't ready and if we hope to have any real success going forward, a solid, proven goalie must be acquired.

One after every game the goalie is the difference :P

Sorry to take it out on these boards, I'm just frustrated that we have the same problem this year as we did last. It's like a slap in the face when we lose games like this. Despite the huge slump the Flyers went through going into the playoffs, they really pulled it together and have been playing well (except game one). They did what I didn't think they'd be able to do! They're primed for a great run... except for one position, which they've been chasing for, what, twenty years?

And instead of going after the handful of goalies that were available and are ALL better than Boucher this last off season (and, yes, even Turco is better than Boucher), they got... Jody Shelly?

PhillyBoston781

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
front office didnt want to overpay last years goalies. Turco is now on the bench and Nabokov didnt want to play here. They tried atleast and to counter this they signed more firepower and Dmen. Boosh let in 1 terrible goal and 1 ok goal and 1 good goal. Lets not forget about the numerous scoring chances we had (briere breakaway) and we decided to go low on Thomas all night instead of high.

I think, at this point, it's time to overpay a goalie.

People thought they overpaid Briere. People thought they overpayed Carter. (I already mentioned Shelly.) But, for whatever reason, the organization doesn't think goaltenders are worth as much and I can't figure out why.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope the cap will go up a decent amount this year. I would love to get Vokoun and let Bob be his understudy. I guess I can hope, right?

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PhillyBOston, Turco may, or may not be better than BOosh at this point. BUt paying him 3-4 million per year to be marginally better would not have won them any more games. And it may have meant not being able to pay for Meszaros. Or re-signing a player like Giroux. I know that the Shelley deal is ridiculous, but there was no legit upgrade out there. I am all for a short contract for Vokoun next year, but nothing too long to hamstring the team. The problem is TIm THomas and Ryan Miller don't grow on trees. It's not like the Flyers had a chance to get Miller and chose Biron instead...

PhillyBoston781

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PhillyBOston, Turco may, or may not be better than BOosh at this point. BUt paying him 3-4 million per year to be marginally better would not have won them any more games. And it may have meant not being able to pay for Meszaros. Or re-signing a player like Giroux. I know that the Shelley deal is ridiculous, but there was no legit upgrade out there. I am all for a short contract for Vokoun next year, but nothing too long to hamstring the team. The problem is TIm THomas and Ryan Miller don't grow on trees. It's not like the Flyers had a chance to get Miller and chose Biron instead...

Turco may or may not have been better. Or even if got the next Ryan Miller, he might have gotten hurt. Who knows... The point is they knew what they had wasn't good enough. They knew it was a significant area of weakness on an otherwise solid, deep team. At least Turco would have been a chance at something better. Maybe 3-4 million per year was a steep price, but if you cut what they paid Leighton (two years, 3.1 mil), then you're only looking at an additional 1.5-2.5 million. Put Jody Shelly's 1.1 million dollars on top of that and... there you go.

The point is, there was money out there to be spent. 3-4 million on a goalie wasn't going to cripple the franchise. But the Flyers preferred to get the bargain basement goalie than risk overpaying, while at the same time they were willing to risk overpaying a forward like Shelly. That, to me, is backwards priorities considering how their season ended.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think, at this point, it's time to overpay a goalie.

People thought they overpaid Briere. People thought they overpayed Carter. (I already mentioned Shelly.) But, for whatever reason, the organization doesn't think goaltenders are worth as much and I can't figure out why.

We ARE overpaying Carter ... tremendously. Let me know when he decides to show up for just a single playoff game -- or when he gets rid of his habit of turning empty-netters into easy pad-saves.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vokoun,Bryzgalov,whomever...
This goaltending crap has been going on for way too many years.
The Flyers have a plethora of good young forwards(Carter)that can be used for trade bait.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vokoun,Bryzgalov,whomever...
This goaltending crap has been going on for way too many years.
The Flyers have a plethora of good young forwards(Carter)that can be used for trade bait.

I don't see the Flyers trading Carter. People talk about it every year but I just don't see it happening...especially for an aging player such as Vokoun. Like it or not, Carter is here to stay for a long time. People used to crap on Briere and his contract too. I imagine that over time Carter will win people over to his side too.

SantaMonicaFlyer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Carter has to (1) PLAY in the playoffs (I mean actually be on the ice) and (2) he has to PLAY in the playoffs (I mean make a POSITIVE difference rather than skating around doing nothing like he has done so far in his career.)

THEN he will win me over. Until then, he is a good regular season player who pulls a Keyser Söze come playoff time.

Jeff Carter come playoff time --->:rapture:

GO FLYERS!

PhillyBoston781

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We ARE overpaying Carter ... tremendously. Let me know when he decides to show up for just a single playoff game -- or when he gets rid of his habit of turning empty-netters into easy pad-saves.

You're probably right. I just don't want to turn this into a "are they overpaying Carter?" debate. The Flyers are willing to spend more than what people consider "market value" for forwards they think are important to the team, but aren't willing to do the same thing for a goalie. That philosophy has cost them multiple games in the playoffs so far.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You're probably right. I just don't want to turn this into a "are they overpaying Carter?" debate. The Flyers are willing to spend more than what people consider "market value" for forwards they think are important to the team, but aren't willing to do the same thing for a goalie. That philosophy has cost them multiple games in the playoffs so far.

they aren't overpaying him at all, in fact market value his contract will show long term he is underpaid. it is night and day, carter is here to stay so i just hope he develops a killer instinct in the playoffs sooner than later. it doesn't matter i don't expect him back before game 6, earliest.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Couldn't agree more. Carter and Carle are, IMO, our two most expendable pieces to trade (or clear cap space) for a legit goaltender. Hopefully Homer realizes this now.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's obviously never been more evident that we need a starting goalie. I'm not talking about a has been or a never was been. I mean a guy who has proven he can routinely get the job done. You can't move Carle and as much as I'd hate to trade away a 40 goal scorer, Carter is great trade bait. I still wouldn't move him unless we were to receive the perfect opportunity.

Regardless, our team hasn't played with enough desperation in this series. It is NOT the fault of our goalies that we're down 0-3.

Last edited by a moderator: