• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on trading up

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL not nearly enough of a current need to take one at 10. I'd love to have Matthews' reliability on the line, but if he drops to 10 I'd rather get a haul from the Giants, or Pittsburgh (not their style), or Miami, or Carolina than take him. Same if the 3 QBs are there - let the bidding war begin.

No interest in trading up unless it's practically free.

This just may happen... Titans not giving Locker 5th yr. option, I could see that scenario for a QB playing out. Just not sure which teams would come up there to get in front of Titans at 10???

I also see the 49ers coming up for Odell Beckham. Just not sure when they pull the trigger. He is more mid round guy.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way I would want the Lions to trade up is if the Rams GM went to the owner and said, "You know, this is starting to get really good. Let's trade the Lions our #2 for their #10 straight up. That'll give them another top 2 pick. Let's see what kind of salary cap hell they can really get into."

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT is a position that translates very well to the NFL. The top rated OL, many more times than not, will be an instant starter based on talent alone over someone who has experience.

I am not even aware of what Luke Joeckel did last year, as I haven't read much about him, so I'd have to look it up. But over the last couple years -- the 1st OT off the board has become a pro bowl level player in the NFL. Here are the top tackles drafted over the past 7 or 8 years. Joe Thomas, Trent Williams, D'Brickishaw Ferguson, Tyron Smith, Matt Khalil, Jake Long. The one guy who hasn't is Jason Smith.

Thomas, Williams, Ferguson, Smith, Khalil and Jake Long have all been pro bowl Tackles. Some of them were pro bowlers their first year at the position. Others took a year or so to earn a trip. But the end result with the exception of Jason Smith is a top 10 talent at the LT position.

Eric Fisher was actually the #1 OT drafted last year and I don't think he fared too well last year, but I haven't read much on him either, so I could be wrong.

Almost all of these guys are much better pass blockers than run blockers. Robinson is not.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question -- Greg Robinson falls to the Lions at #10. You honestly believe the Lions pass on Robinson, because they have an undrafted FA, who took over the starting job, because the guy who beat him out in camp was injured?

If you have the chance to take a franchise OL, who they project could be one of the best OL in the NFL within a couple years -- you take him. Especially one they are talking about being athletic enough to play LT, but also could be the best run blocking OT in quite some time.

IMO, Detroit could draft Robinson and he could take his pick on what tackle position on the Lions he'd like to play and he'd be a monster upgrade.

If Waddle is your cup of tea -- leave him at RT, move Reiff inside to G and put Robinson at LT. If you want to wait till Sims is gone -- move Reiff to RT, Waddle can be ready if someone is injured and Robinson takes over LT. If you want to run the ball down people's throats -- Leave Reiff at LT, put Robinson at RT next to Warford and force teams to move their safeties closer to the line of scrimmage.

It would depend who else is left. If Barr is still there then I take him over Robinson. Barr has the highest ceiling of anyone in the draft not named Clowney.

I agree it would be hard to pass otherwise, but I would still rather trade out to someone who is desperate for a Tackle.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When has Millen drafted a elite WR besides CJ?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barr is a one trick pony. I dont like him at 10.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming soon.

Lionstop1's expert analysis of what will go down in the 2014 draft. Watch for weekly updates of the latest news.

Dont miss it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question -- Greg Robinson falls to the Lions at #10. You honestly believe the Lions pass on Robinson, because they have an undrafted FA, who took over the starting job, because the guy who beat him out in camp was injured?

If you have the chance to take a franchise OL, who they project could be one of the best OL in the NFL within a couple years -- you take him. Especially one they are talking about being athletic enough to play LT, but also could be the best run blocking OT in quite some time.

IMO, Detroit could draft Robinson and he could take his pick on what tackle position on the Lions he'd like to play and he'd be a monster upgrade.

If Waddle is your cup of tea -- leave him at RT, move Reiff inside to G and put Robinson at LT. If you want to wait till Sims is gone -- move Reiff to RT, Waddle can be ready if someone is injured and Robinson takes over LT. If you want to run the ball down people's throats -- Leave Reiff at LT, put Robinson at RT next to Warford and force teams to move their safeties closer to the line of scrimmage.
Two thoughts here:

1.) Robinson is sweet and would be better than anyone on our o-line 'cept for Warford.
2.) You're still selling Waddle way short. Who gives a fuck that he wasn't drafted? I promise if there was a re-do draft he doesn't make it past the 2nd round. Let's go by his play, rather than his draft status. He was far more than just a 'capable' RT last year, which for a rookie is very promising indeed...

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Besides, offensive tackles never get hurt.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spearing?

Suckers? Idk what schedule the fish run on way down there...

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are always talking about how other teams hit on late round gems and the Lions never seem to. Now we hit on one in Waddle and now we want to draft a replacement? With all the heavy contracts we have, we get some relief by having an UDFA starting for us and now we should Fuck that up by paying an OL top 10 money? Even if he were there @ 10 I'd let someone trade up to get him.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true LP.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two thoughts here:

1.) Robinson is sweet and would be better than anyone on our o-line 'cept for Warford.
2.) You're still selling Waddle way short. Who gives a fuck that he wasn't drafted? I promise if there was a re-do draft he doesn't make it past the 2nd round. Let's go by his play, rather than his draft status. He was far more than just a 'capable' RT last year, which for a rookie is very promising indeed...

This..

To add to that. I'm in camp with Old Lion in that Waddle might be better served at LT over Reiff. He was a 40 game starter at LT for Tex Tech (granted they ran a LOT of quick release 3, 5 step drops) but he has quicker feet, better kick-slide, longer arms, better initial punch and mirrors DE's as well as Reiff, JMO. He didn't receive many reps last year in camp due to Hilliard/Fox yet still performed admirably when called upon. He is not the mauling, run blocking RT. He is more finesse which suits his style for LT. He will now have a full NFL off-season under his belt and should be given "the opportunity to derail Reiff at LT", even being a UDFA. I will not profess that he will do it but he should be given the opportunity. JMO.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spearing?

Suckers? Idk what schedule the fish run on way down there...

Yeah, suckers.(Way down there.... Hahahaha. I hear Superior is still half covered in ice, that's nuts.) They might already be done running idk. Basically my buddy wants to drink and take turns holding a latern.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You start soaking in THC again? This is the nice one liner of a toking Smitty...:noidea:

Im working on tricking my brain into thinking were blazed. It's kinda working. (Im getting the Indica Itch. Pretending wont cut it for long.) But he's on to my little game.