• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on trading up

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a reason after adding Tate a early to mid rd. WR should suffice. (2nd 3rd round)

That is what I've been getting at all along and why I hate hearing about trading up to draft a WR. The Lions need every pick they have and would benefit overall as a team to trade down to accumulate even more picks to add depth at many positions.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed the RIP Jalopy. I did not know he lost the fight. Cancer is a bitch...

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Secondary sucks? That's not like you TP....They just need more coaching up and time to season and grow into there role...Hehe..

Ok I'll stop busting chops here.....The secondary does in fact suck!...Correct it or suffer the same crap next year.

Haha true, true. Very untpaulish.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed the RIP Jalopy. I did not know he lost the fight. Cancer is a bitch...

Really did not know that, thats too bad. Was looking forward to good conversations with him this year.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shazier and Van Noy are some popular names and surely some of those teams at the bottom of the first or the top of the second have them on the radar. With a run on WRs and the best CBs, those will be the next guys to go.

I would be happy with van noy

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were tops at getting off the field on 3rd down too, which deserves a lot of credit, imo. For all they went through, that's pretty damn good.

The new coaching staff looks at the fact that the Lions were good against the run, really good on 3rd down and red-zone stops and builds from there. Looking at the secondary, all you really need is to regain healthy players back, get more consistent and of course a few of the guys need a bit more development. All those things can come together without panicing and forcing the issue to add another young prospect there. Though I like Gilbert, Im willing to see what Austin can do with Bently, Greenwood, Slay, Green, Quinn, and even Houston.

Why even panic with the LB situation? Adding one shouldn't be hard at all.

The defense is better but you said it yourself. They have no playmakers while the offense has quite a few. Lst year besides levy they had no one that did shit turnover wise. If they want to be a force they need to add at least one stud to the back seven. They can also draft a WR in later rounds. Momtcrief would be a nice addition.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amen.

Best 3rd down defense and best red-zone defense in the league last year. Great run defense as well, with the exception of the Philly snow game. Levy was a play-maker at OLB all season long. Basically we were really good everywhere except the secondary.

Our secondary sucks, our overall defense is decent, it's pretty much as simple as that. Keep adding playmakers and it will get even better.

I agree the defense has improved but they had an extremely soft schedule when it came to good offenses. Besides the philly game which they ot destroyed what good offense did they play? It was good to see the rushing defense much improved but that back seven against a good offense will get demolished.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what I've been getting at all along and why I hate hearing about trading up to draft a WR. The Lions need every pick they have and would benefit overall as a team to trade down to accumulate even more picks to add depth at many positions.

This. But ive said this way too much. Teams that are a piece away have the luxury of trading up. The lions are not a player or two away. The only move stupider than drafting a WR or TE at ten would be trading up to draft anybody.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things are heating up. Mayhew doesnt believe in smokescreens. They are a waste of time.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes, wastes of time are a good idea.

Truth.

Kind of like buying your wife or girl a valentines day gift. For us it is a waste of time, but it really is a good idea.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was saying some where else here, with the Titans not giving Locker 5th yr option to me means a QB of Wiz's likings to groom. Could see someone wanting to get in front of them if some QB's fall. Vikes play part here, don't see them passing one up if they all fall and have their choice.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was saying some where else here, with the Titans not giving Locker 5th yr option to me means a QB of Wiz's likings to groom. Could see someone wanting to get in front of them if some QB's fall. Vikes play part here, don't see them passing one up if they all fall and have their choice.

They were talking on the radio about a couple possible opportunities for the Lions to trade down. One was if a QB fell to #10 and a team wanted to jump ahead of Tennessee. The others were talks about a few teams being enamored with Beckham Jr. and could trade up to #10 if Watkins and Evans are both gone. They mentioned a few teams for this -- one being Philly at #22. If a run of QBs in the top 10 doesn't happen -- Detroit would be much better off trading down and accumulating picks.

They will still get one of the players they could draft at #10, if they traded down to the teens, all the way down to #22. Whether it be Dennard or Gilbert, Clinton-Dix or Pryor, there will be plenty of talent to be had. They could then use the extra picks to add some depth to the team.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustMeIamRight said:
They were talking on the radio about a couple possible opportunities for the Lions to trade down. One was if a QB fell to #10 and a team wanted to jump ahead of Tennessee. The others were talks about a few teams being enamored with Beckham Jr. and could trade up to #10 if Watkins and Evans are both gone. They mentioned a few teams for this -- one being Philly at #22. If a run of QBs in the top 10 doesn't happen -- Detroit would be much better off trading down and accumulating picks.

They will still get one of the players they could draft at #10, if they traded down to the teens, all the way down to #22. Whether it be Dennard or Gilbert, Clinton-Dix or Pryor, there will be plenty of talent to be had. They could then use the extra picks to add some depth to the team

:agree:... Which could very well turn out to be the best option for this team for years to come so long as they hit similar to last years draft, finding quality starters and especially in the damn 2nd rd.

I'll give Slay a break as being a CB takes 2-3 years to develop but the nightmare of LeShoure, Young and Broyles still haunts this team. You might as well through Jahvid Best in there as well seems as though he was a late 1st rd pick trade-up that should never have occurred (reason being significant concussions and RB's can be found in later rounds, even the speedy dynamic ones).

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They will still get one of the players they could draft at #10, if they traded down to the teens, all the way down to #22. Whether it be Dennard or Gilbert, Clinton-Dix or Pryor, there will be plenty of talent to be had. They could then use the extra picks to add some depth to the team.

I have seen some mocks havin 49ers moving up for Beckham as early as 11

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SF was another one of the team's they were talking about wanting to trade up to #10, but said because of how far down their are -- it probably wouldn't happen.

There was another team they mentioned in the 20's, that picked after Philly, but I can't remember who it was.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would absolutely do a trade with the 49er's, so long as we got their #30, #56 and #61 for our #10 and #76... In a damn nanosecond... Having four picks #30, #45, #56 and #61 is more appealing to me than just #10, #45 and #76. We might even be able to use one of those latter two, #56 or #61 to move back down a little and pick up a 3rd and 4th if we see better value after having a run on players at #30, #45 and one of #56 or #61..

This could mean almost guaranteed VanNoy then Bucannon or Ward (that would be considerable help for the back 7, IMO) and a quality 3rd WR, plus that extra late 2nd rd to drop down some into the 3rd round somewhere.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SF was another one of the team's they were talking about wanting to trade up to #10, but said because of how far down their are -- it probably wouldn't happen.

There was another team they mentioned in the 20's, that picked after Philly, but I can't remember who it was.

The new CBA has made the drafts more worth watching. Trades are easier and cheaper to pull off. The trade value chart is rarely right anymore. The top 5 or so picks still cost. Once you reach top ten and on seems a lot cheaper.