• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on trading up

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate wouldnt come off the field that much and Im sure Watkins would see a lot of action. We dont know what the plays are or what the scheme is, so its kind of senseless to talk about playing time. Hell, the Lions have a slew of RBs and they already said each of them will have a role of some sort.

To me, you dont have to be great in every area, you just have to have something the other team doesnt. I think last year showed that the Lions can win with the defense they have as the offense crumbled the second half of the season. They need some more players but I dont believe the secondary could be worse than last year.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not the only one that recognizes Barr's areas for development(hell, doesn't every player coming out still need development?)

Per WalterFootball.com
Weaknesses:
Still somewhat raw
Needs to develop more pass-rushing moves
Needs to get stronger against runs coming straight at him
Needs to improve his ability to shed blocks
Not a natural fit in a 4-3; tweener end/outside linebacker

Per Rotoworld.com:
Three out of seven polled NFL.com draft analysts prefer UCLA's Anthony Barr to Buffalo's Khalil Mack.
So the other 4 nfl.com draft analysts prefer Mack.

Per SBNation.com:
Strength/Tackling: Barr needs to get bigger in order to get stronger at the point of attack. But his strength isn't as big of an issue as his tackling in space. He doesn't have incredible change of direction skills, so it's no surprise that he struggles to make plays in space. He missed too many tackles as a senior.
They even mentioned that his tackling skills need work.

About a month ago I would've preferred Barr over Mack, but after further research and video, I just personally think Mack will be the better player and would not mind if we moved up a few spots to grab him. I wouldn't wanna move up to the top 5, bc I think we could still land Shazier or VanNoy in the 2nd. I was just trying to point out that McShay isn't the only one that sees the things he saw.

Not sure what they are looking at then. Mack is an arm tackler with no authority on his hits. He is going to get bulldozered in the NFL. Personally I don't like UCLA players either, but what I saw from Barr looked like he could better handle the NFL level. I don't see that in Mack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Old Lion.....He's a LB......Respect the draft position.....We Draft at 10.....You don't draft kickers, Guards, LB's or for heaven sakes even RT's at 10.........

Give me a CB, QB, WR or DE at 10. I'll take a LT in Robinson, but that won't happen, he will be long gone.

I swear if Manziel falls to us take him.....Sure we suck this year but you have a trade chip and something you can barter for.

I agree. I would rather trade back to the mid to late teens and pick up one of the CBs. I think Chris Houston may have lost his mojo and could be done. We can get Van Noy or Shazier in Rd2 or Attaochu in Rd 3 plus have an extra Rd 3 pick.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I would rather trade back to the mid to late teens and pick up one of the CBs. I think Chris Houston may have lost his mojo and could be done. We can get Van Noy or Shazier in Rd2 or Attaochu in Rd 3 plus have an extra Rd 3 pick.

Van Noy and Shazier could be gone at the end of the first.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think last year showed that the Lions can win with the defense they have as the offense crumbled the second half of the season. They need some more players but I dont believe the secondary could be worse than last year.

We did? Which games did the Lions win with their defense? Granted the offense was mistake prone. So I agree, they were a turnover waiting to happen last year. I'm hoping we don't lose a million fumbles and throws a bunch of picks again though.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense didnt really win us any games but I dont think they lost many either. We needed them to get some turnovers and they failed. For as many turnovers the offense had, they did a good job holding up a lot of the time.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shazier and Van Noy are some popular names and surely some of those teams at the bottom of the first or the top of the second have them on the radar. With a run on WRs and the best CBs, those will be the next guys to go.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions would probably have to take Attaochu at 45 of they wanted him.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense didnt really win us any games but I dont think they lost many either. We needed them to get some turnovers and they failed. For as many turnovers the offense had, they did a good job holding up a lot of the time.

Yep.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did? Which games did the Lions win with their defense? Granted the offense was mistake prone. So I agree, they were a turnover waiting to happen last year. I'm hoping we don't lose a million fumbles and throws a bunch of picks again though.

The offense put the defense in many horrible positions last year, especially the second half of the season. Our defense held up quite well in the red zone when it mattered most, hence why we were tops in the league last year in holding opponents to scores at 38%.

Now don't go assuming I'm saying the defense was wonderful, it had its problems too. But we have some solid pieces to build around and I'm excited to see what Austin can bring. Our defense doesn't get enough credit for the things they do well.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were tops at getting off the field on 3rd down too, which deserves a lot of credit, imo. For all they went through, that's pretty damn good.

The new coaching staff looks at the fact that the Lions were good against the run, really good on 3rd down and red-zone stops and builds from there. Looking at the secondary, all you really need is to regain healthy players back, get more consistent and of course a few of the guys need a bit more development. All those things can come together without panicing and forcing the issue to add another young prospect there. Though I like Gilbert, Im willing to see what Austin can do with Bently, Greenwood, Slay, Green, Quinn, and even Houston.

Why even panic with the LB situation? Adding one shouldn't be hard at all.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions 7-9 with the 10th overall pick......Records speak volumes stats don't....But then again isn't a win-loss record a stat?

I'm going to have to rethink this for a while.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ravens game a good example. Pretty much dominated, albeit a struggling offense. Forced FG's on short field chances after TO's. The offensive TO hurt and cost them the game after the Lions forced a 60+ yard FG.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our defense doesn't get enough credit for the things they do well.

Amen.

Best 3rd down defense and best red-zone defense in the league last year. Great run defense as well, with the exception of the Philly snow game. Levy was a play-maker at OLB all season long. Basically we were really good everywhere except the secondary.

Our secondary sucks, our overall defense is decent, it's pretty much as simple as that. Keep adding playmakers and it will get even better.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amen.

Best 3rd down defense and best red-zone defense in the league last year. Great run defense as well, with the exception of the Philly snow game. Levy was a play-maker at OLB all season long. Basically we were really good everywhere except the secondary.

Our secondary sucks, our overall defense is decent, it's pretty much as simple as that. Keep adding playmakers and it will get even better.

Secondary sucks? That's not like you TP....They just need more coaching up and time to season and grow into there role...Hehe..

Ok I'll stop busting chops here.....The secondary does in fact suck!...Correct it or suffer the same crap next year.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Secondary sucks? That's not like you TP....They just need more coaching up and time to season and grow into there role...Hehe..

Ok I'll stop busting chops here.....The secondary does in fact suck!...Correct it or suffer the same crap next year.

I'll add that our pass rush needs to hit home more as well. They generate good pressure, but did not get enough sacks or force enough fumbles for the amount of talent they have.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much dominated, albeit a struggling offense.

Struggling is an understatement. Only St. Louis finished with fewer yards and Baltimore's rushing attack set a record for futility at 3.1 YPC on the season. Baltimore's offense was horrendous last year, which is why everyone believed it was only a matter of time before our new head coach was going to be fired by the Ravens.

That being said -- I do agree the Lions have some pieces in place. I like Quin. I like Ansah. I love Suh. Levy played like a man possessed last year, but we have to wait and see what happens in 2014 and can't rely on a LB picking off 6 passes again. I believe the Lions are about where they finished overall last year -- Middle of the road. Good enough to give bad offenses problems, but not good enough to slow down good offenses.

2014 -- Detroit is going to have to face some of the top offenses, with games against Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, and Aaron Rodgers twice. They will have to face the two headed monsters in Chicago twice (Marshall and Jeffrey). Detroit had everything under the sun go right for them last year with key players being hurt on basically every team in our conference (from Aaron Rodgers, to Cutler, to Adrian Peterson). Yet we still couldn't get it done.

That is why I don't want to see them trade away a bundle to draft a single player, with the exception of probably Clowney, as he has a chance to be a special player, but also has question marks too. Detroit needs every pick they have, not only to find upgrades at certain positions on defense, but also to add depth at almost every position. Detroit has been relatively lucky with the health of their team. Injuries happen and if Detroit is hit with a string of injuries, it will just kill this team.

The only position that was hit with the injury bug last year was WR, when we lost Young before the season started, then Broyles during the season, then Burleson, then Calvin Johnson. That is why I'm not excited about the prospect of trading up for a WR. Even with the Lions using 4th, 5th and 6th WRs at times -- We still finished with the 5th most passing yards in the NFL.

IMO -- adding players who can help the defensive get to the QB more frequently, can help force turnovers in the secondary and extend their coverage to give the DL time to sack the QB would make the Lions much better overall than any player they could draft for the offense. As TP pointed out -- Detroit had a lot of QB hurries, but they were way down in sacks. Our DL, which consists of 3 top 13 picks, finished like 15th in total sacks for DL's in the NFL. That is unacceptable when you have the type of talent the Lions have on the DL.

I've been reading more and more as the draft has been coming up and in all honesty -- the only player I would be good with the Lions drafting in the 1st round at a skill position is Mike Evans. Detroit's problem isn't moving the ball. They move the ball all game between the 20's. It is getting it into the end zone. Evans would give the Lions another huge target in the red zone, who will be a mismatch for any CB who tries to cover him. Stafford can do exactly what he does with Calvin and throw it up and let Evans make a play. I think Watkins is going to be a really good player, but I think he brings a lot of the same things to the table that Golden Tate already does.

I do know -- the NFL draft is going to be pretty damn exciting to watch to see exactly what the Lions are going to do. Any way we look at it -- Detroit is going to get a player who should be able to step on the field from day 1 and make them a better team. Hopefully with a new coaching staff, we can cut out a lot of the mental mistakes and bad turnovers. If we can do that -- this team should be able to get to the playoffs.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only position that was hit with the injury bug last year was WR, when we lost Young before the season started, then Broyles during the season, then Burleson, then Calvin Johnson. That is why I'm not excited about the prospect of trading up for a WR. Even with the Lions using 4th, 5th and 6th WRs at times -- We still finished with the 5th most passing yards in the NFL.

IMO -- adding players who can help the defensive get to the QB more frequently, can help force turnovers in the secondary and extend their coverage to give the DL time to sack the QB would make the Lions much better overall than any player they could draft for the offense. As TP pointed out -- Detroit had a lot of QB hurries, but they were way down in sacks. Our DL, which consists of 3 top 13 picks, finished like 15th in total sacks for DL's in the NFL. That is unacceptable when you have the type of talent the Lions have on the DL.

This is a reason after adding Tate a early to mid rd. WR should suffice. (2nd 3rd round)

With the lack of blitzing IMO adding to the lack of sacks. Some games teams can create pressure with front four. Then others you need to blitz. Talent or not, no team creates a ton of sacks with out blitzing. Would like to see the completion % within said hurries. Don't need the glory numbers to be effective.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll add that our pass rush needs to hit home more as well. They generate good pressure, but did not get enough sacks or force enough fumbles for the amount of talent they have.

Especially considering our best pass rusher will have GSH on his sleeve this year.