• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Those Hostage Videos

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have taken lately to watching the videos of Chip Kelly's news conferences. He clearly doesn't enjoy it and I can see why. Reporters ask good inciteful questions in many cases, and he has little choice but to dance around and not answer the question as best he can. A trueful answer will usually do one of several things...
1. Throw a player or a coach under the bus. Bad leadership there.
2. Give away too much information to an upcoming opponent.
3. Often its a good question at just the wrong time. While Chip Kelly may very well agree that they made a mistake on a player (say Sam Bradford as an example), it does him no good to admit that now. For better or for worse, he needs to make it work with the guys on the roster. Personnel decisions will almost always be deferred til after the season.

IMO, the NFL needs to give these guys a little more latitude on how to deal with the media. You end up with these 15 minute blocks of pain every day that do neither the reporter or the team any good. I could see this as being one of the factors that sends a guy like Chip back to college. In college, a guy like Chip is nearly worshipped by everyone around him, while at the pros, we subject him to daily floggings by the media after every game...win or lose.