• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The outlook for the NFC North in 2022 if Rodgers leaves: Bleak. 4 teams in a rebuild?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a hypothetical scenario where Rodgers does, indeed, walk from Green Bay...

Green Bay: They'll almost certainly let their big name free agents walk. The roster will have a very different look and Jordan Love will be their starting QB. I think we can all agree, if Rodgers leaves, they are entering into a total rebuild.

Minnesota: They fired their coach, they fired their GM, and it looks like a real possibility that Cousins will be traded. They have some pieces, but the QB situation becomes a question mark. That coupled with a first year coach/GM and a defense that ranked 30th overall in 2021? Signs point to a rebuild. Unless they decide to keep Cousins, the new GM decides he can win, and they are aggressive in free agency.

Detroit: They'll enter their second year under the new regime, but clearly... this team was in horrible shape last season. Question marks all over, including at QB. Goff will be on the final year of his deal. He has not looked like the answer, though. It's still VERY much a rebuild in progress.

Chicago: We all know that this one is easy. We will have a brand new GM, a brand new coaching staff, and we will likely be trading any of our key vets that garner a decent draft choice. Most notably, Khalil Mack and Robert Quinn. We will also lose a handful of impact players in free agency, such as Akiem Hicks. We only have one real weapon on the outside in Mooney. We have a decent looking young TE in Kmet and a good looking RB in Montgomery. However, despite the improvements over the course of the season, the line still needs a lot of work. This is a full blown start over around Justin Fields. Who will be entering his first season as the Bears starting QB. Full blown rebuild.

If Rodgers departs, this is going to be the short bus division in the NFL. Any arguments against that? Always a chance that one team surprises. One is bound to be better than we think. Perhaps good enough to at least beat up on the other three, en route to a winning record. But man... this could be a dumpster fire. To the point where a 7 or 8 win team claims the North crown.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit: They'll enter their second year under the new regime, but clearly... this team was in horrible shape last season. Question marks all over, including at QB. Goff will be on the final year of his deal. He has not looked like the answer, though. It's still VERY much a rebuild in progress.
You should reevaluate Goff. I know some Lions fans that wanna throw Goff under the bus too. I think we can safely say Goff is past the new couching staff and new playbook excuses. But, given the fact that he's only had three WR's (1 for 17 games and 2 for 16) to work with the whole season without TE's and RB's in every game isn't what I would call an arsenal to get on the same page to get the job done.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
, and we will likely be trading any of our key vets that garner a decent draft choice. Most notably, Khalil Mack and Robert Quinn.

Not sure how this can be said to be “likely”. It’s pure speculation and is going to depend on who is the GM, coach, DC and so on.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Rodgers departs, this is going to be the short bus division in the NFL. Any arguments against that?
No argument here. The East is still bad and the South has the Bucs, but yeah, the division will likely not prosper.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should reevaluate Goff. I know some Lions fans that wanna throw Goff under the bus too. I think we can safely say Goff is past the new couching staff and new playbook excuses. But, given the fact that he's only had three WR's (1 for 17 games and 2 for 16) to work with the whole season without TE's and RB's in every game isn't what I would call an arsenal to get on the same page to get the job done.
My evaluation of Goff isn't limited to this past season. Most (myself included) had given up on Goff ever being anyone's long term answer a while ago. His numbers were pretty much the same as they had been his final couple of years in LA (lower INT% and less Y/A being the exception). He looked like the exact same QB. He is going into his 7th year. He is what he is and that's not going to magically change in Detroit, of all places. He had a nice year and a half in 17/1st half of 18 when McVay showed up. After that, it's been exactly what we just saw. I'm sure the team isn't helping, but we've seen him with a good team and it wasn't much different, if any.

You guys will be better next year, but no one (I'm sure your fans too) could possibly be confident that you're done rebuilding and are ready to make a playoff appearance. No one will be saying come week 1 of 2022 "The Lions have a roster ready to compete". Could things fall into place quicker than expected? Sure. Surprise teams and quick turnarounds have happened. However, a leap from being the #2 overall pick to a winning season and the playoffs is a rarity. After going 3-13-1... it's clearly still a work (and rebuild) in progress heading into 2022.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a nice year and a half in 17/1st half of 18 when McVay showed up.
That's odd... Goff started all the games in 2018 and the Rams had the 2nd best offense in the league and lost to the Cheateriot in the Super Bowl. The Greatest Show Turf had the number one offense in the league and lost to the Cheateriot in the SB. Goff did have a better running game in 2017-'18. In 2020 IIRC he lead the league in 5 yard passes.
He is going into his 7th year.
I'm not saying Goff is elite, but how well did Tom Brady do in his first six years in the league?
that's not going to magically change in Detroit, of all places.
Granted the Lions are what I call a Schedule Filler. I wish it would, because I really hate rooting for an upset team... other fans bases get upset when the Lions win, I get upset when the Lions lose.
My evaluation of Goff isn't limited to this past season.
You said it in your opening post... the Lions have a new regime!! The last 6 games Goff started in he went 3-2-1 with 11 TD's and 2 INT's and a passer rating over 100 which is among the best in the NFL. Tim Boyle started in the Browns, Falcons and Seahawks games. I'm not trying to change your mind, but we can agree to disagree.
Surprise teams and quick turnarounds have happened. However, a leap from being the #2 overall pick to a winning season and the playoffs is a rarity. After going 3-13-1... it's clearly still a work (and rebuild) in progress heading into 2022.
LOL... the Seahawks went from 4-12 to 5-11 and winning the division and making the playoffs with a 7-9 record.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like what Minnesota has they just need to find the right coach and get the defense on track. They have a solid QB with a pro bowl back and two pro bowl WRs.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears hire Ryan Poles from KC. Nice! I like it!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's odd... Goff started all the games in 2018 and the Rams had the 2nd best offense in the league and lost to the Cheateriot in the Super Bowl. The Greatest Show Turf had the number one offense in the league and lost to the Cheateriot in the SB. Goff did have a better running game in 2017-'18. In 2020 IIRC he lead the league in 5 yard passes.

I'm not saying Goff is elite, but how well did Tom Brady do in his first six years in the league?

Granted the Lions are what I call a Schedule Filler. I wish it would, because I really hate rooting for an upset team... other fans bases get upset when the Lions win, I get upset when the Lions lose.

You said it in your opening post... the Lions have a new regime!! The last 6 games Goff started in he went 3-2-1 with 11 TD's and 2 INT's and a passer rating over 100 which is among the best in the NFL. Tim Boyle started in the Browns, Falcons and Seahawks games. I'm not trying to change your mind, but we can agree to disagree.

LOL... the Seahawks went from 4-12 to 5-11 and winning the division and making the playoffs with a 7-9 record.

Goff and that offense consistently tore up poor defenses. They struggled terribly against good ones. Down the stretch, he really faltered. That passing game declined all the way up until their poor performance in the SB (they were about the 5th or 6th best team in the league at that point and were lucky to get into that SB). He threw ONE TOUCHDOWN in that entire playoff run. That's less than Rex Grossman threw en route to his SB loss.

Then, that's who he has been ever since. He had a really good season and a half or so. His numbers are about average (even below) in every single category, across the board for his career.

It's not like he even has "form" he can return to. He was legitimately never good. He had a nice little stretch and the league figured out you can just blitz him and he folds like a lawn chair. Sean McVay agrees with me. Which is why he gave him up, plus multiple draft picks just to upgrade to a much older Stafford.

SIDE NOTE: The Greatest Show on Turf was the 99 Rams. Not 2018 Rams.

What? Lol. Brady led the league in TD's in his 2nd year starting. Yardage in his 5th. Was consistently pushing the top 5 or within the top 5 in most every category, every season after his first year. Oh, yeah... and he won 3 SB's. He was also 12-2 in the post-season with 20 TD's and 9 INT's across 14 playoff games. In his 2004 run; he had 5 TD's 0 INT's 8.6 Y/A and a 106 Rating. Good lord, dude.

You said it in your opening post... the Lions have a new regime!!

Oh, gawd. You must be really young, man. You know how many "regimes" they've gone through? This regime has started with a 3 win season. So far, no one is excited. You guys do not get the benefit of the doubt. You suck until you don't.

The last 6 games Goff started in he went 3-2-1 with 11 TD's and 2 INT's and a passer rating over 100 which is among the best in the NFL. Tim Boyle started in the Browns, Falcons and Seahawks games. I'm not trying to change your mind, but we can agree to disagree.

Oh sweet Jesus... Yeah, dude, and the Bears won two of their last three. You hear anyone saying that inspires hope for Nagy? Also, how many losing teams, backups, and teams resting starters were faced? Do you know how many 4, 5, 6 win type of teams over the years win 2-3 at the end?

You went 3-13-1 dude... and your QB looked the same as he always has.

You're the only one whose excited for Goff/Detroit right now. So, yeah, I'll let you live in your delusion. Talk to me after next year and I'll give you a pat on the head and say it's okay. Because Goff will never be anyone's "answer".

So, what you're saying is. You're inspired by the fact that a 5 win team, can make a MIRACULOUS JUMP to a 7 win team in a year? A net gain of two wins? I think that team also had a -100+ point differential. lol. That's your example?

Do you know how many better examples of a surprisingly quick turnaround there are? Dallas went from 1-15 to winning the SB in the early 90's. Rams went from 4-12 to winning the SB in 1999, Bears went from 4-12 to 13-3 and the NFC's #2 seed in 2001. There's a decent list of turnarounds like that, but holy hell man... the 2010 Seahawks?

Sure, you guys could make NFL history, but those are outliers. 99% of the time it doesn't happen like that. You're the Lions. No one is going to buy it until it happens. You are a 3 win team right now. That's what you are. With a QB who has proven to be no better than mediocre.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SIDE NOTE: The Greatest Show on Turf was the 99 Rams. Not 2018 Rams.
'99, '00 and '01 to be exact. The St. Louis Rams had the #1 offense in '01 against the Cheateriot.
What? Lol. Brady led the league in TD's in his 2nd year starting. Yardage in his 5th. Was consistently pushing the top 5 or within the top 5 in most every category, every season after his first year.
One man doesn't make a team. Only a 3 game difference in their first 6 years without the Post Season and Spygate. Once again I'm not saying Goff is Elite.

1643177407244.png
1643177606153.png

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If AR leaves Bears will keep all our guys and go for a Div championship. Rebuild will be on the fly and we trade no one. IMO.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If AR leaves Bears will keep all our guys and go for a Div championship. Rebuild will be on the fly and we trade no one. IMO.
Short sighted.

I'd be pissed if Vikings go for division and be happy

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a viking fan im hoping they unload veterans and rebuild.

Patching has lead to mediocre.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'99, '00 and '01 to be exact. The St. Louis Rams had the #1 offense in '01 against the Cheateriot.

One man doesn't make a team. Only a 3 game difference in their first 6 years without the Post Season and Spygate. Once again I'm not saying Goff is Elite.

View attachment 287594
View attachment 287596
Yes, and those numbers for Brady were very good, at the time. Goff matching that two decades later is extremely mediocre. You do realize how much the average numbers for QB's have inflated, right?

I also think it's hilarious that you intentionally included 2000 instead of 2006 (Brady did not play in 2000 so his first 6 years playing would have been 01-06).

Thank you for proving my point.

Also, if I find a bad QB that Goff's numbers compare to over 6 years. Would you be willing to admit he's going to be bad?

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, and those numbers for Brady were very good, at the time. Goff matching that two decades later is extremely mediocre. You do realize how much the average numbers for QB's have inflated, right?

I also think it's hilarious that you intentionally included 2000 instead of 2006 (Brady did not play in 2000 so his first 6 years playing would have been 01-06).

Thank you for proving my point.
Brady had 3 attempts with 1 completed pass for 6 yards in '00... So, yes he did play in '00. Not sure why your worried about it when there's only a 3 game difference with Brady still having a better win/loss record from '00-'05.
Also, if I find a bad QB that Goff's numbers compare to over 6 years. Would you be willing to admit he's going to be bad?
You'd only be finding another QB to compare to Brady too.
Would you be willing to admit he's going to be bad?
The Lions Organization only does enough to sell tickets... the Lions are Sandbaggers, Overpaid Actors and Schedule Fillers, I've been saying it for years.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if Harbaugh does indeed go to Minnesota, they are not going to be entering into any kind of a rebuild.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if Harbaugh does indeed go to Minnesota, they are not going to be entering into any kind of a rebuild.

I will laugh every time they audible out of a play. 100% of the time. It will never get old.