• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Urban Test: JTB Cited for OVI

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The line itself may be arbitrary, but it's no secret that over-21 people drive better and handle their liquor better. I see more Careless and Imprudent Driving tickets leading to accidents from people under 21 than I do from people over 21. Same for Public Intox.

It's hilarious to watch Ohio State fans argue that he wasn't that drunk when, you know, he tried to escape from a DWI checkpoint. JT obviously thought he was intoxicated enough that when an officer asked him "how much have you had to drink tonight," asked for his license, and shined a flashlight in his eyes, it would reveal that he was intoxicated. That's a pretty clear sign that he was intoxicated (in his own mind), and yes, he was a risk to others.
I've twice avoided a DUI checkpoint when sober, most recently just about a month or so ago in Columbus. Depending on the area you're in, you can end up sitting there in line and it's a pain in the ass.

Also, no, there is nothing at all that backs up your thought about "it's no secret that over-21 people drive better and handle their liquor better". 33% of DUIs involve people between the ages of 21-24. The next two largest age groups? 25-34 and 35-44.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, this guy is the densest motherfucker I think I've ever seen on here.
Nah. Just when you think you've reached the zenith of idiocy, there's always someone to top it.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've twice avoided a DUI checkpoint when sober, most recently just about a month or so ago in Columbus. Depending on the area you're in, you can end up sitting there in line and it's a pain in the ass.

Again, either you are lying or your officers are inept. The only reason checkpoints don't violate the Fourth Amendment is that they are uninvasive. If you are waiting at a checkpoint for more than ten minutes, it is likely unconstitutional and any arrests can be challenged. So I'm dubious.

As for the driving thing, I'm not sure what the DWI totals would have to do with that. I'm talking about causing accidents by bad driving. Vehicular manslaughter or C&I driving are much more telling. And of the dozens of those I've filed, a majority are under 21. Maybe my jurisdiction is a fluke, but I sort of doubt it.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, either you are lying or your officers are inept. The only reason checkpoints don't violate the Fourth Amendment is that they are uninvasive. If you are waiting at a checkpoint for more than ten minutes, it is likely unconstitutional and any arrests can be challenged. So I'm dubious.

As for the driving thing, I'm not sure what the DWI totals would have to do with that. I'm talking about causing accidents by bad driving. Vehicular manslaughter or C&I driving are much more telling. And of the dozens of those I've filed, a majority are under 21. Maybe my jurisdiction is a fluke, but I sort of doubt it.
Believe what you want. It's not a big deal to avoid a DUI checkpoint. The fact that he was barely over means he thought it was a toss-up. I would've tried to avoid it too, as would anyone else on here if they were in that circumstance.

As for the driving thing, that's what we're talking about right now - driving. JT wasn't even exhibiting any real reasons to be pulled over other than that he supposedly avoided the DUI checkpoint. In this circumstance, what he was doing wasn't any different than if a 21 year old was in his same shoes. If you think 3 months from now what he would be doing would be 4x less dangerous, then I really have nothing to say because you clearly don't live in reality.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this serious? So, you're telling me what he did would be significantly less dangerous if it was 3 months from now when he's 21?

Yes, your not defending him at all. An it doesn't matter, he would be over the legal limit at ethier age. Remember, Buzz Driving is Drunk Driving! :D

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, your not defending him at all. An it doesn't matter, he would be over the legal limit at ethier age. Remember, Buzz Driving is Drunk Driving! :D
If you're asking me if I think driving at a .084 or whatever he was at is a big deal, then no. I don't think it is.

Is it stupid and should he have planned ahead better so he wasn't risking getting himself intro trouble? Sure. Was he putting lives at risk substantially moreso than even a sober driver? No. Studies have shown the difference between a sober driver and a driver at .08 in terms of reaction time is about 4 feet. Compare that to a sober driver and a sober driver reading an email, and it's about 36 feet. Texting and driving? 70 feet. Yet if he simply got a ticket for texting and driving, we wouldn't even know about it. Society is wildly ignorant when it comes to this topic.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was me, and you were. Someone said Minnesota was going to honor Kill by winning out and you rather arrogantly dismissed it. That was my point - you guys were extremely lucky to win, so I wasn't sure why you needed the arrogant response.

I did not dismiss any such thing. I knew emotions would play a part in this game for Minnesota. As for luck. . . well, THAT was my point about Ohio State barely escaping a couple of losses as well. And that's if you can call good hard play "luck." Michigan's goal line stand was remarkable. To pretend that they were simply "lucky" is your attempt to rain on Michigan's parade.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not dismiss any such thing. I knew emotions would play a part in this game for Minnesota. As for luck. . . well, THAT was my point about Ohio State barely escaping a couple of losses as well. And that's if you can call good hard play "luck." Michigan's goal line stand was remarkable. To pretend that they were simply "lucky" is your attempt to rain on Michigan's parade.
Minnesota taking 13 seconds of running clock to snap the ball and burning time for an additional play is lucky. Run the ball with 19 seconds. Take 5 seconds off the clock. Take last time out. Fade route to corner of the endzone 5 seconds off the clock. Quick slant to monster tight end, 5 seconds. Run on fourth down. Them only getting two plays in is lucky for Michigan.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're asking me if I think driving at a .084 or whatever he was at is a big deal, then no. I don't think it is.

Is it stupid and should he have planned ahead better so he wasn't risking getting himself intro trouble? Sure. Was he putting lives at risk substantially moreso than even a sober driver? No. Studies have shown the difference between a sober driver and a driver at .08 in terms of reaction time is about 4 feet. Compare that to a sober driver and a sober driver reading an email, and it's about 36 feet. Texting and driving? 70 feet. Yet if he simply got a ticket for texting and driving, we wouldn't even know about it. Society is wildly ignorant when it comes to this topic.

We can agree to disagree. The law is the law. Him breaking it, twice does not matter how bad of a law it is. An there is a difference between driving sober and driving with alcohol in your system. Even if it is a little, it impairs your judgement. Maybe not to the point of crashing but making quick decisions your judgements impaired. Texting and driving is very bad too but that is totally illegal in the state I live in and most of the surrounding states. But unlike alcohol, texting doesn't have any wiggle room such as alcohol (being under .08 is legal) does.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota taking 13 seconds of running clock to snap the ball and burning time for an additional play is lucky. Run the ball with 19 seconds. Take 5 seconds off the clock. Take last time out. Fade route to corner of the endzone 5 seconds off the clock. Quick slant to monster tight end, 5 seconds. Run on fourth down. Them only getting two plays in is lucky for Michigan.

Okay. It was "lucky" that Minnesota made such bad calls for their last plays. But, as I said, good hard and a remarkable goal line stand won the game for Michigan.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can agree to disagree. The law is the law. Him breaking it, twice does not matter how bad of a law it is. An there is a difference between driving sober and driving with alcohol in your system. Even if it is a little, it impairs your judgement. Maybe not to the point of crashing but making quick decisions your judgements impaired. Texting and driving is very bad too but that is totally illegal in the state I live in and most of the surrounding states. But unlike alcohol, texting doesn't have any wiggle room such as alcohol (being under .08 is legal) does.
I also don't look at every single law as being absolutely perfect, and I certainly don't use every single one to define someone's morality or character. As I said before, if someone got a speeding ticket for 60 in a 55, you wouldn't think poorly of them. In fact, you'd probably be shocked they got the ticket. However, the law states the speed limit is 55 and with the unflappable trust you have in the laws, that person was reckless. There's obviously an enormous difference between driving 60 and driving 120, but the law is the law in your mind. That's where we disagree. There are far, far worse things a person can do while driving than be a hair over the legal limit in terms of how dangerous of a driver they are to themselves or others.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay. It was "lucky" that Minnesota made such bad calls for their last plays. But, as I said, good hard and a remarkable goal line stand won the game for Michigan.
As did putrid play-calling and time management in the final seconds while being inches from the goal line. There isn't a single game OSU has played this year that comes close to that.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also don't look at every single law as being absolutely perfect, and I certainly don't use every single one to define someone's morality or character. As I said before, if someone got a speeding ticket for 60 in a 55, you wouldn't think poorly of them. In fact, you'd probably be shocked they got the ticket. However, the law states the speed limit is 55 and with the unflappable trust you have in the laws, that person was reckless. There's obviously an enormous difference between driving 60 and driving 120, but the law is the law in your mind. That's where we disagree. There are far, far worse things a person can do while driving than be a hair over the legal limit in terms of how dangerous of a driver they are to themselves or others.
Didn't I tell you to stop replying to these buffoons? Damn, I swear you're as dumb as me mixing it up with these dunces.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two words: Northern Illinois
You mean the team we beat by a TD that was never closer than their own 20 to even tying the game late? Yeah nowhere near the same. Poor effort on your part.