• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The official No-call thread

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Pereira is saying as long as you begin holding the receiver within 5-yards you can continue holding him all the way down the field??? If so, then Periera is full of shit and is quickly becoming useless.

I mute Periera whenever they go to him during a Hawks game. Seriously.

Sucks about the no call. Even though I can't say I like the Niners, I respect your team and I was pulling for you guys to win it yesterday. As a Seahawks fan, I know exactly how you guys feel.

Looking forward to the next decade or so of Seahawks/49ers games and hopefully a few more meetings in the playoffs. They should be damn good.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was watching first take during my lunch and apparently there was TWO fouls on that 4th down.... I only knew and saw the Crabtree one but for those with DVR powers or youtube abilities, check out the other side of the formation and see what happens to Delanie Walker...

damn... we were hosed! I'm even more mad now...like mad-errrr

Quoting myself from another thread... yea... like a boss... ya know....

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mute Periera whenever they go to him during a Hawks game. Seriously.

Sucks about the no call. Even though I can't say I like the Niners, I respect your team and I was pulling for you guys to win it yesterday. As a Seahawks fan, I know exactly how you guys feel.

Looking forward to the next decade or so of Seahawks/49ers games and hopefully a few more meetings in the playoffs. They should be damn good.

Yeah, when it comes to the SB I have always rooted for our division or conference if we weren't in it. As for you guys knowing the heartache of bad SB officiating - aint that the truth!

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument that the officials don't want to decide the game on 4th down is and always has been a joke... because they are deciding the game by throwing the rulebook out. If Crabtree had broken the rules to get open I don't believe for a second that the officials would have let it slide. Not because it was the 49ers, but because all it would have done was backed the 49ers up and given them another try.

But, they won't throw a flag on the defense because it'll reset the downs and give the offense 4 more tries... it is a ridiculous double standard. The rules are in place for a reason and throwing them out in order to give one team an advantage does more damage to the integrity of the game than going after bounties or PED users. Really?? It is a fair and balanced game when the rules don't apply to the defense on the last series?? Pray tell...

Anyway, I accept that they won't flag the defense on 4th down 90% of the time because it is something they've done for what seems like forever... just letting them play. The 49ers arguably benefited from that against Atlanta in the NFC Championship Game when they could have flagged Bowman for illegal contact... but at least White still had a chance to catch that ball up until Bowman swatted it away. Crabtree on the other hand had absolutely no chance of making a play with that holding/PI

What I don't accept is that the officials ignored the rules on the last 3 plays of the series, not just the 4th down play. PI on Crabs on 2nd down and then the supposedly illegal helmet to helmet hit on 3rd down. They threw out the rulebook for the last 4 downs, now just the 4th down... that is something I've never seen before and it was BS. They took it to a whole new level.

Last edited by a moderator:

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can anyone post the last four plays in this thread? I'm getting just clutter on youtube (and about a million crappy madden video b.s.). I know someone has it readily available and that would be great to include in this thread.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Remember though the difference between Atlanta game and this one. In Atlanta the WR was within 5 yards. Crabs was past 5 yards.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the one hand, the refs hate to bail out a shitty play with a penalty at the end of the game; on the other, a foul is a foul no matter when it occurs in the game. I'm not sure what I think but I know it never should have come down to that play. They should have been running the ball at a minimum to kill clock or make them use their timeouts. The Niners were gashing them without Ngata in there and then they decide to try three horrible pass plays.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Simms had the right to call it the way he seen it. I too, believe it was the right call.Crabtree was pushing off at the same time as the holding was going on. They only showed it a dozen times.

When you are being tackled before the ball gets there you have to get the defender off of you. What's the receiver supposed to do when a defender latches on and is trying to drag you down from behind? Fall down or try to get loose and make a play?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got home so I'm late to this. In brief;

1) Cary Williams should have been ejected as well as the second Raven holding the ref back

2) T. Smith had an offensive PI

3) On our last drive there were fouls on 2nd, 3rd and 4th down that should have given us 1st's.

What can we conclude?

Ray Lewis had to retire with a SB victory. Pretty obvious.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Crabtree had broken the rules to get open I don't believe for a second that the officials would have let it slide. Not because it was the 49ers, but because all it would have done was backed the 49ers up and given them another try.

But, they won't throw a flag on the defense because it'll reset the downs and give the offense 4 more tries...

Hypothetically speaking, if it is a given that the refs will not call a defensive PI because of the 4 new downs reason, would you settle on a replay of down if it made it more likely that they call it? I am NOT suggesting this as a rule change, just wondering how much you'd compromise to ensure that refs would be more likely to call it right? They should call the play right, regardless of course. (And I know, this situation gives the defense no reason not to mug the targeted receiver unless they think it's not likely to be caught.)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How about the non call on the Balt CB who shoved the ref during the scuffle and didn't get ejected?

Super Bowl XLVII Video: Watch Ravens and 49ers Get into Brawl | Bleacher Report

Boger gets high marks from his doubter - NFC West Blog

NEW ORLEANS -- The officiating website footballzebras.com made headlines before Super Bowl XLVII by questioning Jerome Boger's appointment to the game as referee.

Despite complaints from San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, Boger and his crew members got high marks from the website for their handling of the game.

Footballzebras.com founder Ben Austro's only significant complaint was for failing to limit post-play antics. Austro thought the Ravens' Cary Williams should have been ejected for shoving an official. But the interference and holding penalties Harbaugh wanted called against Baltimore during the game's frantic final moments did not represent errors in officiating, according to the website.

"When a receiver runs a route right at a defensive back and bumps him, there is an acceptable amount of holding that does happen, because the receiver initiated the holding," Austro wrote. "In this case, there was mutual pushing, so it all waves off. There needed to be a more egregious restriction of the receiver in order to draw a foul."

Former NFL officiating boss Mike Pereira, now a Fox analyst, also supported the non-call in that situation. My own view was that throwing a flag would have been worse than not throwing one. The play was still frustrating from a 49ers standpoint. Anyone in Harbaugh's situation would have wanted a call as well.

"Together, it was an even-called game," Austro wrote. "The points of disagreement were true judgment calls; there wasn’t anything that really moved out of a gray area throughout the game."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ BS

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetically speaking, if it is a given that the refs will not call a defensive PI because of the 4 new downs reason, would you settle on a replay of down if it made it more likely that they call it? I am NOT suggesting this as a rule change, just wondering how much you'd compromise to ensure that refs would be more likely to call it right? They should call the play right, regardless of course. (And I know, this situation gives the defense no reason not to mug the targeted receiver unless they think it's not likely to be caught.)

There isn't a compromise in this situation because if you change the penalty for holding where you just give them 5 yards and replay the down then teams will just gladly hold guys like VD instead of letting him slip behind the slower LBs for 20 yard gains. It isn't the fault of the officials either, it is the league telling them to "let people play" which is a nice way of saying ignore the rules and turn the playoffs into the WWE football league.

Charlie Casserly said it best on NFL.com.
Penalties like that one should always be called, regardless of the circumstances
Absolutely -- they should have thrown the flag. The rules of the game are in place for safety reasons, as well as to make the game fair for both sides. The rules should be called the same whether we're talking about a regular-season game or a postseason game. (Teams should not play under one set of rules to get into the playoffs and another to win once they're there.) When you "let teams play," you risk injury and chaos, among other things. Also, how do coaches know what to tell their players if they don't know how the game will be called?

When I was on the competition committee, we discussed the concept of "letting them play" in the playoffs. None of the members -- myself included -- felt the rules should be called any differently in the playoffs.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't a compromise in this situation because if you change the penalty for holding where you just give them 5 yards and replay the down then teams will just gladly hold guys like VD instead of letting him slip behind the slower LBs for 20 yard gains. It isn't the fault of the officials either, it is the league telling them to "let people play" which is a nice way of saying ignore the rules and turn the playoffs into the WWE football league.

Charlie Casserly said it best on NFL.com.

Agree. There's no actual compromise. I said that the players will just start to hold/PI more. I was just trying to find out if you'd accept that over the refs not calling it because of the new set of downs. It's BS to not call the right call for any reason, if it's not ticky-tacky, or too debatable (we can't remove human judgment).

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. There's no actual compromise. I said that the players will just start to hold/PI more. I was just trying to find out if you'd accept that over the refs not calling it because of the new set of downs. It's BS to not call the right call for any reason, if it's not ticky-tacky, or too debatable (we can't remove human judgment).

I'd prefer a replay of the down over them simply not calling it and giving the defense the advantage of not having to play by the rules... which is obviously one hell of an advantage. That is just too hard to figure out though, the easy option is to just call the penalties as they exist... but the NFL isn't embarrassed by this so nothing will change.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious...about the non hold during the safety
Would they put back 5 or so seconds on the clock if the hold is called? I don't think I've seen that happen before

even if they didn't put time back on, maybe Dixon has a chance to tackle him faster giving us a few more seconds at least.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boger gets high marks from his doubter - NFC West Blog

NEW ORLEANS -- The officiating website footballzebras.com made headlines before Super Bowl XLVII by questioning Jerome Boger's appointment to the game as referee.

Despite complaints from San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, Boger and his crew members got high marks from the website for their handling of the game.

Footballzebras.com founder Ben Austro's only significant complaint was for failing to limit post-play antics. Austro thought the Ravens' Cary Williams should have been ejected for shoving an official. But the interference and holding penalties Harbaugh wanted called against Baltimore during the game's frantic final moments did not represent errors in officiating, according to the website.

"When a receiver runs a route right at a defensive back and bumps him, there is an acceptable amount of holding that does happen, because the receiver initiated the holding," Austro wrote. "In this case, there was mutual pushing, so it all waves off. There needed to be a more egregious restriction of the receiver in order to draw a foul."

Former NFL officiating boss Mike Pereira, now a Fox analyst, also supported the non-call in that situation. My own view was that throwing a flag would have been worse than not throwing one. The play was still frustrating from a 49ers standpoint. Anyone in Harbaugh's situation would have wanted a call as well.

"Together, it was an even-called game," Austro wrote. "The points of disagreement were true judgment calls; there wasn’t anything that really moved out of a gray area throughout the game."

This is a whole pile of bullshit concocted by people who have everything to lose by pointing out the game wasn't called legitimately.