• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The official No-call thread

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013 Super Bowl -- Jim Harbaugh criticizes officiating, non-call on Michael Crabtree of San Francisco 49ers - ESPN

Mike Pereira agrees with the officials, something to do with starting the holding before the 5 yards officials call it differently when it extends beyond the five yards? Clayton mentioned this, so I'm just assuming.

So Pereira is saying as long as you begin holding the receiver within 5-yards you can continue holding him all the way down the field??? If so, then Periera is full of shit and is quickly becoming useless.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw holding; it was pass intereference. All bets are off when the ball is in the air. The ball was in the air, and Smith was holding him with both hands.

I agree with you, just passing along what Pereira thought. Does he think that if you start the holding/PI before the ball is in the air or within five yards, that you can do what you want for the remainder of the play beyond five yards while the ball is in the air? If so, we should try that more often. :rollseyes:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Pereira is saying as long as you begin holding the receiver within 5-yards you can continue holding him all the way down the field??? If so, then Periera is full of shit and is quickly becoming useless.

To be clear, Clayton in the video segment said that referees call it differently when it starts before the 5 yards. I should have made that clear. I don't know why Pereira agrees with the call - it isn't necessarily in agreement with what Clayton said. Clayton just said it's different with different refs. Duh. The article just said: "Mike Pereira, the former NFL vice president of officiating, agreed with the officials' decision to not throw a flag on the play.

"Tough play that is really close both ways. Good job not calling anything," Pereira tweeted."

That was my fault for the way I said it.

Edit: My goodness, I just re-read what I posted. That's not what I meant to say. Man, this loss is making my mind wander. :rant:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear, Clayton in the video segment said that referees call it differently when it starts before the 5 yards. I should have made that clear. I don't know why Pereira agrees. The article just said: "Mike Pereira, the former NFL vice president of officiating, agreed with the officials' decision to not throw a flag on the play.

"Tough play that is really close both ways. Good job not calling anything," Pereira tweeted."

That was my fault for the way I said it.

I'm WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more upset with the play-call than the non-call but the holding on that play was blatant and should have been called, it clearly impeded Crabtree's ability to get to the ball. If these fucks need to make excuses to protect a Ravens victory they should be claiming "un-catchable pass" at least that is plausible.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Doesn't matter on a hold how catchable a ball is.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious...about the non hold during the safety
Would they put back 5 or so seconds on the clock if the hold is called? I don't think I've seen that happen before

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the non call on the Balt CB who shoved the ref during the scuffle and didn't get ejected?

Super Bowl XLVII Video: Watch Ravens and 49ers Get into Brawl | Bleacher Report

A poster on there made this comment:

Can't really blame the the 49ers for being so pissed. You're playing a team who's #2 in penalties, #1 in holding penalties and hardly get any in this game? Cary Williams shoves a ref to the ground in the scuffle and doesn't even get a flag?

So I looked and sure enough:
NFL Penalties - 2012 League Penalty Stats - NFL Penalty Stats Tracker - List/Statistics/Data of NFL Penalties - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just curious...about the non hold during the safety
Would they put back 5 or so seconds on the clock if the hold is called? I don't think I've seen that happen before

No, it was a smart play by the Ravens because a holding penalty would have made no difference, there was no downside to blatantly holding. All they wanted to do was keep the defenders away from the punter for as long as possible,

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just watched Eric Mangini break down that 4th down pass. He said that was a clear hold on Crabs and and even more blatant one on Delaney on the other side. Refs were scared to make a call and that stinks. None of that group should do a SB again.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I had not so thanks for that. NFL is making a huge mistake and hurting their integrity.

You're welcome bro. I put that article out there because the game was already being scrutinized before the first snap. It's interesting because it's an NY Times article and I'm shocked that not many, including myself, had read up on this before the game.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pereira is an employee of the NFL. He has a long history of backing up the wrong calls/no calls that the officials make/don't make. It's what he is paid to do.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pereira is an employee of the NFL. He has a long history of backing up the wrong calls/no calls that the officials make/don't make. It's what he is paid to do.

I thought he worked for FOX? Either way, if he is paid to support shitty calls & non-calls in defense of the idiots in stripes then he more than earned his pay-check with those comments.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he worked for FOX? Either way, if he is paid to support shitty calls & non-calls in defense of the idiots in stripes then he more than earned his pay-check with those comments.

If he works for FOX, that's a recent development.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pereira mentioned it's difficult to throw that 4th down flag in real time. He also mentioned that a flag should have been thrown on that helmet to helmet shot on Crabtree.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pereira mentioned it's difficult to throw that 4th down flag in real time. He also mentioned that a flag should have been thrown on that helmet to helmet shot on Crabtree.

Why? Because the flag was sewn into the refs' pants? Was the flag too heavy for the official to lift it?

I will say this, if that had been Brady throwing to Wekler (intentionally misspelled), that flag would have been on the ground before the ball landed.