• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 5,000 Posts for a Flyers Stanley Cup in 2016 Thread!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes fans have a right to boo and yes they paid for that right but booing your own product undeservedly is just counter productive to any team in a 2-1 game
I agree, but booing is acceptable (for whatever reason) at a professional sports venue; throwing objects at the players however is not.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think they performed that poorly though, not til the end. It was 2-1 going in to the 3rd. Not a bad effort against a far superior team. Then they took 44 minutes in penalties (aided by the fans 2 minutes) in the 3rd and it came off the rails. The expectations were and are unrealistic if they expect to do much better than 2-1 going in to the 3rd.

I guess my point is, they shouldn't be pissed off at the team. The current make up of the Flyers did a phenomenal job making the playoffs. Most pundits had them in the bottom 5 of the league this season, but they made the playoffs. The current roster played fantastic this year, they don't deserve the hate. They deserve more talent, and it's coming.

For me, the frustration lies in the special teams play. The Caps operated at 21.9% on their power play throughout the regular season. In this series, they are at 47.1%. That is nearly the equivalent of awarding T.J. Oshie a penalty shot for each of their power plays. And he is one of the best in the Nhl at that.

Then there's our power play that operated at 18.9% for the regular season and was much improved with Ghost at the point, but is 0 for 13 so far this postseason. In fact, we're the only playoff team yet to score a power play goal.

I know losing Couturier hurts in these areas, but these stats are absolutely insane.

Why aren't we sending a guy to Backstrom whenever he has the puck like every other team does to G when he has it? I'm just a little tired of sitting back in a passive box and never getting clears. We don't pressure enough on the penalty kill and it often burns us.

I think we've played pretty well against the Caps at even strength, but special teams has made this series look like a joke, which could definitely frustrate the hell out of some passionate fans. Nobody should be throwing anything on the ice, but we should definitely rethink our special teams strategies in the offseason.

Last edited:

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans have a right to boo, they paid for that right. It's unacceptable to throw objects at the players tho.

Obviously,those people are too fucking stupid to realize,you can get up and leave.

They probably watch a bad movie at home(again,too stupid to turn the channel),then piss on the t.v when it's over.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously,those people are too fucking stupid to realize,you can get up and leave.

They probably watch a bad movie at home(again,too stupid to turn the channel),then piss on the t.v when it's over.
Yeah, no kidding...

Leaving early & avoiding traffic > getting arrested & embarrassing your city

BTW, I've seen my share of jackass Penguin fans when I've left after a loss, so I feel for you guys.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the Philadelphia I left years ago. Booing is fine but disgracing a great owner like Snider by throwing wrist bands? Seriously? The rabid,stupid Philly fans have sunk to a new low.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, the frustration lies in the special teams play. The Caps operated at 21.9% on their power play throughout the regular season. In this series, they are at 47.1%. That is nearly the equivalent of awarding T.J. Oshie a penalty shot for each of their power plays. And he is one of the best in the Nhl at that.

Then there's our power play that operated at 18.9% for the regular season and was much improved with Ghost at the point, but is 0 for 13 so far this postseason. In fact, we're the only playoff team yet to score a power play goal.

I know losing Couturier hurts in these areas, but these stats are absolutely insane.

Why aren't we sending a guy to Backstrom whenever he has the puck like every other team does to G when he has it? I'm just a little tired of sitting back in a passive box and never getting clears. We don't pressure enough on the penalty kill and it often burns us.

I think we've played pretty well against the Caps at even strength, but special teams has made this series look like a joke, which could definitely frustrate the hell out of some passionate fans. Nobody should be throwing anything on the ice, but we should definitely rethink our special teams strategies in the offseason.

I agree with the bold 100%. The PP and PK need a serious overhaul. The PK has been the team's biggest weakness for two years now. The PP, teams have figured out. It was a killer PP for a few years, and not much has changed except for the people running it, but in some cases they have been an improvement (Ghost). However, other teams have figured it out. Pressure Giroux and the whole thing falls apart.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the PK has been so passive. They might as well throw out 4 traffic cones on the PK. They don't move at all. Just let the Caps pass wherever they want, and let the net front guy just chill there. The PK will get eviscerated again tonight if that strategy holds.

That being said, there's no question that the team is tired. Playing must win games for 2 months just to get in to the playoffs takes its toll. And there is probably some letting off now that they made the playoffs because that's a big achievement.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caps killing us on the PP and now we are without Couts and PEB on the PK. OUCH!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep awaz. I agree. We just stand there like "traffic cones". At least try something, anything instead of looking like a collective bunch of stiffs. And indeed they look tired. More development is needed and I suspect will be continuing after this series.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaw gets suspended for a slur, Letang gets off free for chopping someone in the throat with his stick.

I'm all for getting slurs out of society and promoting equality, but to me, that is an example of how out of whack our priorities are in this world. I'd much rather someone call me a name than axe my throat..

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaw gets suspended for a slur, Letang gets off free for chopping someone in the throat with his stick.

I'm all for getting slurs out of society and promoting equality, but to me, that is an example of how out of whack our priorities are in this world. I'd much rather someone call me a name than axe my throat..

I just saw this on my phone. While I know that there's a heightened level of sensitivity (as Steven A. Smith would say) these days bout these types of issues, I am completely shocked that he is getting suspended for a game. That's an enormous deal with the defending champs down 1-3.

That said, I actually did pick the Blues in this series.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sticks and stone can break your bones but names can never harm you

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an insane night of hockey. We shut out the high powered Caps, two games have gone to OT and possibly a third yet. There have been multiple penalty shots and two/three goal leads blown. The underdogs keep winning. Unreal stuff.

Thrilled that I took the night off to watch these games.

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Sharks finally get past their nemesis of the past two years and put the Kings away with a big win.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would've ever thought that after the midseason trade, L. Schenn and V. Lecavalier would be eliminated from the playoffs before their old teammates? I doubt anyone on the planet had that predicted.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would have thought after that trade that the Flyers will take the Caps to 6 or 7 games in a first round series? I love the unpredictability of hockey!

Last edited:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would've ever thought that after the midseason trade, L. Schenn and V. Lecavalier would be eliminated from the playoffs before their old teammates? I doubt anyone on the planet had that predicted.
The trade was brilliant you have to wonder if it actually hurt the kings? It obviously helped Philly get rid of a distraction and have they really missed Luke? Gudas has filled that role and Brayden has been better for it too...funny how things work out.