• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 5,000 Posts for a Flyers Stanley Cup in 2016 Thread!

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer:

* Hextall said after practice that, in an ideal scenario, the team would carry seven defensemen on the NHL roster but that "we're not going to give someone away" to get down to that number and enable the team to carry a 14th forward. The GM declined to discuss anything regarding trade discussions except to once again reiterate that, if he feels it will improve the team, he will make a move.

* The GM acknowledged that figuring out if Vincent Lecavalier has a role in the lineup is still one of the issues that needs to be determined over the next week. Hextall also said it's too early to make judgments on Sam Gagner's role -- right wing, left wing or center -- because he is still a newcomer to the team.

* Hextall was more complimentary of Brayden Schenn's preseason performance than he was last week when he said the player had been "OK". The GM also praised Schenn's ability to play all three forward positions as needed. In terms of Schenn on right wing, Hextall said (as he did last week) that there's still been a small sample size of games but said the player thus far looks like he can be successful if he plays there.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer:

* Hextall said after practice that, in an ideal scenario, the team would carry seven defensemen on the NHL roster but that "we're not going to give someone away" to get down to that number and enable the team to carry a 14th forward. The GM declined to discuss anything regarding trade discussions except to once again reiterate that, if he feels it will improve the team, he will make a move.

* The GM acknowledged that figuring out if Vincent Lecavalier has a role in the lineup is still one of the issues that needs to be determined over the next week. Hextall also said it's too early to make judgments on Sam Gagner's role -- right wing, left wing or center -- because he is still a newcomer to the team.

* Hextall was more complimentary of Brayden Schenn's preseason performance than he was last week when he said the player had been "OK". The GM also praised Schenn's ability to play all three forward positions as needed. In terms of Schenn on right wing, Hextall said (as he did last week) that there's still been a small sample size of games but said the player thus far looks like he can be successful if he plays there.
Last night Vinny looked old and slow and like he didn't belong on the team but its still early. What do we do with Vinny if he doesn't have a role in the lineup?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think i would go with..

Raffl.Giroux.Schenn (Scoring Line 1)
Read.Couturier.Voracek (Scoring Line 2, also very defensively responsible)
Umberger.Gagner.Simmonds (Scoring Line 3, extremely sheltered minutes due to defensive reliabilities)
White.Laughton.Bellemare (Checking Line)

Vinny, VDV

Streit.Schultz
Medvedev.MDZ
Schenn.Macdonald

Guads (Manning gets sent down)

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night Vinny looked old and slow and like he didn't belong on the team but its still early. What do we do with Vinny if he doesn't have a role in the lineup?

I think "healthy sratch" as everyone seems to be doing that to their heads,wondering when ,or if,he'll ever come out of his funk.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad the injuries aren't serious but I cant believe the refs missed the slew foot on Nash to Voracek.
That was pretty bad and then Philly gets called moments after. You don't need some shit injury to happen like that in preseason....

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think "healthy sratch" as everyone seems to be doing that to their heads,wondering when ,or if,he'll ever come out of his funk.
I was hoping that Vinny would pleasantly surprise us but in reality where would he play anyway? Hopefully he can be that vet that comes in when needed and does the job.

Could Medvedev be our saviour on D this year? He's looked good on the PP but can he be solid defensively....that will probably be the key.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping that Vinny would pleasantly surprise us but in reality where would he play anyway? Hopefully he can be that vet that comes in when needed and does the job.

Could Medvedev be our saviour on D this year? He's looked good on the PP but can he be solid defensively....that will probably be the key.
I haven't seen Medvedev before this preseason but from what I have seen of him this year he looks like a solid player. Hopefully he could help Provorov as well since they are countrymen

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we healthy scratch him maybe he demands a trade or maybe he retires. I'm hoping for the latter.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we healthy scratch him maybe he demands a trade or maybe he retires. I'm hoping for the latter.

That's the sole reason why I'd scratch him.
Some players just don't get the message that they're useless to the team,but won't swallow their pride for a demotion,or scratch.

Vinnys' had a hell of a career,but it's time for some self reflection,and a reality check.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Philly has one more cut to make to get down to the 23-man limit. Per the Inquirer, it’s believed that last cut will either be Laughton or defenseman Brandon Manning."

I think we saw with Coots what playing extended time on the 4th line does for your offensive development. I'd rather see Laughton logging big minutes in the AHL again, considering he hasn't been very impressive thus far in the pre-season. Then again, I stand behind the prediction I made a year or more ago about him being a bust so it probably doesn't really matter what they do with him.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Philly has one more cut to make to get down to the 23-man limit. Per the Inquirer, it’s believed that last cut will either be Laughton or defenseman Brandon Manning."

I think we saw with Coots what playing extended time on the 4th line does for your offensive development. I'd rather see Laughton logging big minutes in the AHL again, considering he hasn't been very impressive thus far in the pre-season. Then again, I stand behind the prediction I made a year or more ago about him being a bust so it probably doesn't really matter what they do with him.

I actually think the role Coots has played is the future that Laughton has in the NHL. I've never really seen him as a potential top 6 guy. So I'd rather see him centering the shutdown line for the Flyers than playing top line minutes in the AHL.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richards and Konecny i think are decent comparables for Laughton, if you look at their junior points numbers Laughton is probably the least offensive of the trio, and I never though Richards was much more than an elite checking center (a la Bergeron now). I haven't ever really expected Laughton to be very significant offensively for the Flyers.

Laughton
.365 ppg
1.6 (overage)

Koncecny
1.1 ppg

Richards
.892 ppg
1.3 (overage)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coots for reference:

So there's a little more expectation offensively for him, at least from me.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richards and Konecny i think are decent comparables for Laughton, if you look at their junior points numbers Laughton is probably the least offensive of the trio, and I never though Richards was much more than an elite checking center (a la Bergeron now). I haven't ever really expected Laughton to be very significant offensively for the Flyers.

I hear you, but your opinion was in the minority after Laughton's last year in Junior and that includes the media hacks. I also think a 3rd line center on a Cup winning team needs to be able to contribute offensively, in the 30-40 point range at least. I see nothing in Laughton's play that leads me to believe he can do that at the NHL level, so I do think he'd be better served attempting to improve his offensive play in the AHL rather than being stuck in a defensive role on the 4th line in the NHL with little chance of improving his offensive output. Bust for me means his ceiling is as a 4th line player. If that IS his ceiling, the Flyers would have been better off trading him early last season when his trade value was at a high, which is what I was arguing at the time. His value has done nothing but drop since then.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you, but your opinion was in the minority after Laughton's last year in Junior and that includes the media hacks. I also think a 3rd line center on a Cup winning team needs to be able to contribute offensively, in the 30-40 point range at least. I see nothing in Laughton's play that leads me to believe he can do that at the NHL level, so I do think he'd be better served attempting to improve his offensive play in the AHL rather than being stuck in a defensive role on the 4th line in the NHL with little chance of improving his offensive output. Bust for me means his ceiling is as a 4th line player. If that IS his ceiling, the Flyers would have been better off trading him early last season when his trade value was at a high, which is what I was arguing at the time. His value has done nothing but drop since then.

I agree

I'm not saying he isn't going to be a useful contributor to a successful team but if the expectations are going to be that high for him then we need to see that potential now - he was drafted in 2012 and here we are just over three years later and he still hasn't made a legitimate impact - Couts put up similar numbers in juniors and he made an impact immediately in the NHL

I hope Laughts can be a better point contributor than what he's shown but until he shows that, I'm not sure he has it in him

Shawn Sheffield

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are going to need much more than 5,000 posts to win a Cup....lol

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Medvedev is one of the few (He and Streit) legitimate top 2 pairing dmen on the team. The other 6 are all decent 3 pairing guys. Once again the problem is that 2 of the six will be playing 1/2 pairing match ups.

The only way Medvedev becomes a savior is if he takes a slap shot that hits MacDonald (breaking his foot) and deflects into Vinny (breaking his foot) which lands them both on LTIR for the season.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am beginning to think you may be correct.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Medvedev is one of the few (He and Streit) legitimate top 2 pairing dmen on the team. The other 6 are all decent 3 pairing guys. Once again the problem is that 2 of the six will be playing 1/2 pairing match ups.

The only way Medvedev becomes a savior is if he takes a slap shot that hits MacDonald (breaking his foot) and deflects into Vinny (breaking his foot) which lands them both on LTIR for the season.
:pound::thumb::heh::lol: