• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 5,000 Posts for a Flyers Stanley Cup in 2016 Thread!

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, was an ESPN Insider article so I couldn't just post the link.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, was an ESPN Insider article so I couldn't just post the link.

'Morning JBM, can you post Pronman's rankings of the prospects too? Having Konecny #1 is eye opening, that's for sure. Though I really do like him a lot.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Balanced Flyers prospect group topped by Travis Konecny

After ranking the top 100 NHL prospects for 2015-16 and ranking each team by organizational depth, ESPN Insider Corey Pronman ranks the top 10 prospects for each NHL team. Here is his entry for the Philadelphia Flyers. Extended write-ups on prospects ranked in the top 100 can be read here.

After many years of being in the basement of the NHL in terms of prospects, the Flyers have started to turn around their system the past few years. The public chatter is mostly concerning their elite group of defensemen prospects, but in my view, the system is well-rounded. It is strong at forward and goalie, though not as strong there as with the elite D group. Unsurprisingly, the Flyers have a large number of prospects represented in our top 100 overall prospects.

Samuel Morin is a prospect on whom I have been (and remain) conflicted. I hear from NHL scouts who see a top-end prospect, and though I'm not all the way there, I certainly see some things to like. His defensive play is very good. Morin has the huge, 6-foot-7 frame that is always noticed, along with his willingness to use it, but he's also a pretty smart player in his own end who can be a fantastic penalty killer. While he is mobile for his size, his subpar puck skills and offensive IQ give me cause for concern, and even among optimistic NHL scouts, nobody really sells him on being a point-producer.

Travis Konecny, C (18)
2 Ivan Provorov, D (31)
3 Oskar Lindblom, LW (46)
4 Travis Sanheim, D (68)
5 Samuel Morin, D (HM)
6 Robert Hagg, D (HM)
7 Shayne Gostisbehere, D (HM)
8 David Kase, C
9 Felix Sandstrom, G (12G)
10 Taylor Leier, LW
For a teenager, Robert Hagg was pretty effective in the AHL this past season. He's a mobile puck-mover who is smart in his own end. He has lowered the risk in his game and shown a calm, steady efficiency to the way he goes about his shifts. Still, Hagg doesn't stand out that much, and he hasn't shown a dominant level since his days in the Swedish junior league. But what he has shown the past few years has been impressive, even if he has never been a guy who demands your attention during a game.

Shayne Gostisbehere is a tough player for me to read, and a knee injury that knocked him out for the season after a few (very impressive) pro weeks didn't help. His skating is outstanding, and all indications from his work this summer show the ACL surgery hasn't hampered that aspect of his game. He projects to put up points in the NHL, but his size and average defensive IQ don't help his cause. Gostisbehere is not an overly risky player, despite his flashy tools, but the defensive projection causes me to hedge a bit on him.

David Kase is a quick, shifty skater who can lead a rush and be elusive in tight spaces. He's a great playmaker who can dictate the play on the man advantage with his skill and vision. He also shows the willingness and hockey IQ to be an effective defensive player; as he gains strength, that aspect of his game should improve even more.

Taylor Leier is a solid, two-way forward with above-average speed and hockey IQ. He plays the game hard, and though he won't put up 50-plus points in the NHL, he has some creativity to his game and will make a flashy play happen on occasion.
Pronman's NHL prospect rankings for 2015-16
A landing page for all of Corey Pronman's NHL prospect rankings ahead of the 2015-16 season, including the top 100, org rankings and top 10 by team.

Nicolas Aube-Kuberl (11th) had a very strong season using his above-average speed, puck skills and vision to generate a lot of offense. He's not great off the puck, but there has been some improvement there. Anthony Stolarz (12th), otherwise known as Stolie the Goalie, had a fine rookie pro season, though he was up and down. He's a huge, athletic goaltender who competes for loose pucks and makes unique saves for a big man, in terms of his movements and glove hand. He needs to work on a lot of the finer parts of his game, such as his reads and angles, as well as quieting his movements generally.

Noteworthy prospect
After he came into the campaign as a top prospect, Felix Sandstrom missed chunks of the 2014-15 season because of various ailments. Sandstrom has shown advanced play for several seasons and has impressive raw tools. He moves pretty well for a player of his size, while not being erratic. His goaltender IQ grades high, as he tracks the puck pretty well and stays ahead of the play.

2015-16 impact
It's a free-for-all among all those great defensemen for probably one open spot on the everyday roster -- at least to start the season. It will probably come down to Morin or Gostisbehere, but really, one could see a scenario in which any of those top guys pushes for a job. Hagg will be interesting to watch as a potential midseason call-up, but I think he's roughly a year away. My gut says it will be Gostisbehere. Top 2015 draft picks Travis Konecny and Ivan Provorov need more seasoning before they make a real push for the NHL.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Morning JBM, can you post Pronman's rankings of the prospects too? Having Konecny #1 is eye opening, that's for sure. Though I really do like him a lot.

Morning awaz, and welcome back! Yeah, Konecny #1 is quite a stretch...

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morning awaz, and welcome back! Yeah, Konecny #1 is quite a stretch...

Wow now that I see them, Lindblom at #3 seems like a significantly bigger stretch haha.

I would put Konecny in the top 3 three with Provorov and Sanheim though.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we'll see Morin and/or Ghost at some point this season. They'll be on the Phantoms and can move to and fro without waivers, so once a guy or two gets hurt, one of them will get the call I expect.

Streit.Schultz
MDZ.Schenn
MacDonald.Medvedev
Gudas

Manning will probably be the first call, but after that it'd be Morin or Ghost depending on style need.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we'll see Morin and/or Ghost at some point this season. They'll be on the Phantoms and can move to and fro without waivers, so once a guy or two gets hurt, one of them will get the call I expect.

Streit.Schultz
MDZ.Schenn
MacDonald.Medvedev
Gudas

Manning will probably be the first call, but after that it'd be Morin or Ghost depending on style need.

Yep, one of those two young guys will get called up due to what style they're looking for - I would say Ghost gets the first call because offense from the blueline is something that could help them, especially on the power play

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, one of those two young guys will get called up due to what style they're looking for - I would say Ghost gets the first call because offense from the blueline is something that could help them, especially on the power play

Could be Hagg too I suppose, but I expect Ghost or Morin to be in a more advanced position

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be Hagg too I suppose, but I expect Ghost or Morin to be in a more advanced position

Yeah, if it's a short term situation that might be the case - long term, then the latter two would get the call I think

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Fiers threw a no-hitter against the Dodgers(in Chase Utley's debut with them)

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles taking care of business against the Ravens tonight - Sam Bradford looked good in the one drive he was in

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christian Ehrhoff signed with the Kings - one year deal

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2