• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The G5 automatic NY6 bid

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU was ticked off? They played the game and got a P5 invitation unlike what UCF has done. BC and WV knew the Big East was folding so they lobbied to the ACC and Big 12. UCF and G5 schools choose not to lobby. Boise State doesn’t have to lobby the Pac 12 until California eliminates public schools (which isn’t too far away). Utah and Louisville both sucked it up and took less money than they should’ve received to become P5 members, either play the game or quit bitching.

Hasn't BC been in the ACC for quite some time?

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU was ticked off? They played the game and got a P5 invitation unlike what UCF has done. BC and WV knew the Big East was folding so they lobbied to the ACC and Big 12. UCF and G5 schools choose not to lobby. Boise State doesn’t have to lobby the Pac 12 until California eliminates public schools (which isn’t too far away). Utah and Louisville both sucked it up and took less money than they should’ve received to become P5 members, either play the game or quit bitching.

Kicked out. They were in the SWC which was a power league at the time and lost out with realignment then got their seat back with more realignment. They didn't play any game that UCF has not to get their seat back. But a P5 invite should irrelevant anyway. There should be rules that spell out what beats what before competition begins and then leave it up to the teams to post the best results according to those rules. Any possible rules can emphasize stronger scheduling such that teams in weaker leagues are compelled to pursue tough OOC games to compete for the playoffs.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn't BC been in the ACC for quite some time?

Ya, since they looked into the future and saw the Big East had no future. When the realignment happened UCF could’ve whored themselves out like Utah did and this wouldn’t be an issue. The only team in the country that has a legitimate gripe is Boise State and that is because a school that wants to drop sports in Cal Berkeley has veto power.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, since they looked into the future and saw the Big East had no future. When the realignment happened UCF could’ve whored themselves out like Utah did and this wouldn’t be an issue. The only team in the country that has a legitimate gripe is Boise State and that is because a school that wants to drop sports in Cal Berkeley has veto power.

I doubt in 2004 BC saw the end of the BigEast. They simply got a better offer from the ACC.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UCF could have bought an invite to the Pac-12? Many AAC teams and BYU tried to get into the Big 12 and that league decided against expanding further. There is nothing a G5 team can do to assure an invite. If the Big 12 stays intact, TCU and Utah are still in the MWC. There are plenty of P5 teams that have accomplished nothing in football but they have a seat at the big boy table because it is about much more than the idea that a G5 can buy its way in. And again, no one should need to be in a P5 league to know what it takes to make the playoffs as a matter of rule.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kicked out. They were in the SWC which was a power league at the time and lost out with realignment then got their seat back with more realignment. They didn't play any game that UCF has not to get their seat back. But a P5 invite should irrelevant anyway. There should be rules that spell out what beats what before competition begins and then leave it up to the teams to post the best results according to those rules. Any possible rules can emphasize stronger scheduling such that teams in weaker leagues are compelled to pursue tough OOC games to compete for the playoffs.

Dissolved not kicked out. TCU didn’t have the fans or donor support to join the Big 12. Just as Baylor didn’t have either when the Big 12/Pac 12 merger was close to happening. What are you talking about? TCU played anybody anywhere and didn’t turn shit down because they didn’t get pissed and say no because it wasn’t a straight one home and home. Terrible example dude. What rules would suffice to you? No rule could ever be implemented that would put the AAC on an even playing field with any P5 conference.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt in 2004 BC saw the end of the BigEast. They simply got a better offer from the ACC.

Every school that had a football team was looking for a better opportunity when it came to the Big East. It was a basketball first/only league.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dissolved not kicked out. TCU didn’t have the fans or donor support to join the Big 12. Just as Baylor didn’t have either when the Big 12/Pac 12 merger was close to happening. What are you talking about? TCU played anybody anywhere and didn’t turn shit down because they didn’t get pissed and say no because it wasn’t a straight one home and home. Terrible example dude. What rules would suffice to you? No rule could ever be implemented that would put the AAC on an even playing field with any P5 conference.

TCU got ranked in the top four in the BCS as a non power with one top 25 win vs a MWC rival. So how does a UCF with three top 25 wins get ranked 12th eight years later? So even if what you say is true, they clearly didn't have to beat multiple quality power teams OOC to get ranked that high. But I'm arguing for anyone to be invited into a P5 league. I'm arguing for rules that spell out what beats what so that G5 teams can pursue the schedules and results needed to compete for the playoffs without any concern for anyone's opinion of their team.

PSUTE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lmao

someone thinks that average home attendance plays a role in overall tv viewership

adorable

Your point is valid. I am very happy to be playing in the Alamo vs Texas instead of the Cotton vs Memphis. P5s playing G5s are in a no win situation, win, meh, lose and WTF? Pretender!!! Except of course for 'Bama in '08, they didn't want to be there... We recruit Texas. Our projected starting QB next year transferred from Texas. He'll play in the bowl game more likely than not, he completed his 2 semesters in residence and is now eligible. FYI, We have had attendance over stadium capacity for several years running. To the point where we are expanding while a lot are shrinking.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From 1996-2011, TCU played 30 OOC games versus power teams. They played 12 at home and 17 on the road with one "neutral" site game at the Cowboys' stadium. They were 1-6 vs ranked power teams and the one win came against Northwestern in 2000.

BTW, rules that apply equally to all FBS teams without regard to identity and perception meet my standard of an even playing field. I'm not sure what your concept of an even playing field is.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game featuring the G5 team in the NY6 really loses its appeal when the G5 team isn't undefeated.

I think they need to add a qualifier to the rule.

If there are no undefeated G5 teams, there is no automatic bid.

Penn State-Alabama or Penn State-Utah would have had much more appeal.

Penn State just won the Cotton Bowl and my opinion of them changed zero.

Not going to happen, nor should it happen. When they expanded to 4 teams, everybody got a little something they wanted. For the G5 programs, they were guaranteed that one of their CC would get into a major bowl game.

I don't really see why they have to be perfect either. Houston was 12-1 and they beat 10-2 Florida State. Boise State at 11-2 beat Arizona state at 10-3.

If anything, they should have expanded it even more. How about guaranteeing a major bowl spot to any G5 champion ranked in the top 25?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to put a capper on this for @gotigersgo ...

...the Cotton Bowl had its smallest crowd in 70+ years.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Additionally @gotigersgo , the game was down 34% in TV viewership from 2017 (2018 was a playoff year).

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish other sports would use attendance and television ratings to determine their standings and postseason opportunities. :rolleyes2:

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish other sports would use attendance and television ratings to determine their standings and postseason opportunities. :rolleyes2:

It doesn't really matter. My posts were directed at gotigersgo, who claimed that the bowls would be happy to have the great attendance from Memphis...and that ratings would be great because it was such a "competitive game".

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't really matter. My posts were directed at gotigersgo, who claimed that the bowls would be happy to have the great attendance from Memphis...and that ratings would be great because it was such a "competitive game".

I missed that part.......that said, I think bowls will continue to decline in interest because the games have no meaningful stakes beyond bragging rights. Coaches leave for other teams and players skip games. I think I have watched the majority of six bowl games.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last time BSU played Georgia, Boise kicked their asses.

That is all.

:rolleyes2:

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed that part.......that said, I think bowls will continue to decline in interest because the games have no meaningful stakes beyond bragging rights. Coaches leave for other teams and players skip games. I think I have watched the majority of six bowl games.

Some of the bowls this year had record attendance.