• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The G5 automatic NY6 bid

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the point?
Pointing out results from multiple coaches ago for both schools and from players who have already been in the NFL if they made it and some are already retired out. and from when current players were still in elementary school is no more relevant today than it is to talk about results from when my grandfather was a kid. as if the results of 1935 or 2011 have any relevance to how a game between UGA and Boise would turn out in 2020

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you could say they struggled, but my biggest takeaways from the game was Memphis couldn't do anything to even slow down Micah Parsons and every time Penn State ran the ball they were getting big chunks.

Really, Memphis was fortunate to "only" lose by 14 points.

I saw Memphis play USF in person, I was struck by how unimpressed I was with both teams....even though Memphis won by 40. I'm not sure USF could have beaten IMG Academy that day. It wasn't so much the players either, I thought the play calling was predictable in the extreme.

On a different note, I watched several other G5's play this year and was impressed, Memphis just wasn't one of them...and I saw them 3 times....each time was equally unimpressive.

I don't know how well Penn State fans travel, but Memphis appears to not have any that do. The Cotton Bowl had it's lowest attendance that I can remember.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it doesn't. I'm talking about the actual rules of the competition. I'm not suggesting you can make those things equal.

So, you want to make the rules of the competition equal, without actually making the competition equal. So, not equal, just unbalanced in a different direction.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you want to make the rules of the competition equal, without actually making the competition equal. So, not equal, just unbalanced in a different direction.

Having rules that apply equally to all teams does not mean teams won't be compelled to play strong schedules and reward for it. Power teams dominate the results under my particular idea just not to the extent that they do under any of the real world methods used to date.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having rules that apply equally to all teams does not mean teams won't be compelled to play strong schedules and reward for it. Power teams dominate the results under my particular idea just not to the extent that they do under any of the real world methods used to date.

Yeah, We all saw your list of BYU "Champions", lol. No thanks.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pointing out results from multiple coaches ago for both schools and from players who have already been in the NFL if they made it and some are already retired out. and from when current players were still in elementary school is no more relevant today than it is to talk about results from when my grandfather was a kid. as if the results of 1935 or 2011 have any relevance to how a game between UGA and Boise would turn out in 2020
I was giving Chewy shit. I've internet "known" him for ten years.

Incidentally, congrats on BSU not kicking Oregon's ass lately. Those were fun times.

:suds:

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My list of BYU champions?

You know, when you were asked for your list of "best" teams according to your rating system. I seem to recall an excessive dominance of BYU in the 80's and 90's. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I seem to recall some foolishness along those lines. You could repost your list of playoffs teams by year if I am mistaken.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, when you were asked for your list of "best" teams according to your rating system. I seem to recall an excessive dominance of BYU in the 80's and 90's. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I seem to recall some foolishness along those lines. You could repost your list of playoffs teams by year if I am mistaken.

I did list at one time the non power teams that made my top four over the previous 41 seasons which included five different BYU teams.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did list at one time the non power teams that made my top four over the previous 41 seasons which included five different BYU teams.

Close enough. Still not interested in a playoff that has 5 BYU teams in the last 35 years. Hell, I think the one title they have is the biggest sham championship of the poll era...and that includes the ones awarded pre-bowl when the AP champion lost their bowl game.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Close enough. Still not interested in a playoff that has 5 BYU teams in the last 35 years. Hell, I think the one title they have is the biggest sham championship of the poll era...and that includes the ones awarded pre-bowl when the AP champion lost their bowl game.

There is no guarantee any make it in 35 years. P5 teams could schedule and beat the better G5 teams and eliminate them that way.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw Memphis play USF in person, I was struck by how unimpressed I was with both teams....even though Memphis won by 40. I'm not sure USF could have beaten IMG Academy that day. It wasn't so much the players either, I thought the play calling was predictable in the extreme.

On a different note, I watched several other G5's play this year and was impressed, Memphis just wasn't one of them...and I saw them 3 times....each time was equally unimpressive.

I don't know how well Penn State fans travel, but Memphis appears to not have any that do. The Cotton Bowl had it's lowest attendance that I can remember.

It was the lowest in 70+ years.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And plenty do.

My point is that with my particular idea, top P5 teams have an incentive to play top G5 teams and they could just schedule and beat them and knock them out of that way. As things are, it seems like playing home games versus FCS teams and G5 bottom feeders is preferred to playing the likes of UCF and Boise State because there is no consequence of playing bad G5/FCS teams versus good G5 teams.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that with my particular idea, top P5 teams have an incentive to play top G5 teams and they could just schedule and beat them and knock them out of that way. As things are, it seems like playing home games versus FCS teams and G5 bottom feeders is preferred to playing the likes of UCF and Boise State because there is no consequence of playing bad G5/FCS teams versus good G5 teams.

Teams have no problem playing BSU/UCF in a 2 for 1 or a 1 and done.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams have no problem playing BSU/UCF in a 2 for 1 or a 1 and done.

The 2-1 and 1-0 deals are all about getting home games and nothing about value in the rankings. So, if those deals are rejected, it costs P5 teams nothing with the committee to pig out on cupcakes.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2-1 and 1-0 deals are all about getting home games and nothing about value in the rankings. So, if those deals are rejected, it costs P5 teams nothing with the committee to pig out on cupcakes.

The opportunities for the G5/P5 matchups are there. The onus is on the G5 schools to accept the offers. BSU has accepted a 2 for 1 with Oregon.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The opportunities for the G5/P5 matchups are there. The onus is on the G5 schools to accept the offers. BSU has accepted a 2 for 1 with Oregon.

Yes....the onus is on the G5 teams to accept lopsided deals because that is how the current format is set up. P5 teams have no more incentive to play strong G5 teams versus weak G5 teams except where getting home games is concerned.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes....the onus is on the G5 teams to accept lopsided deals because that is how the current format is set up. P5 teams have no more incentive to play strong G5 teams versus weak G5 teams except where getting home games is concerned.

Doing a home and home with most G5 programs is lopsided in the G5s favor