• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Case for trading Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RGIII made it one year before injuries began to derail his career. Well, that and he also never developed as a passer.

He completed over 65% of his passes with 3200 yards, 20 TDs, and only 5 INTs as a rookie.

Injuries piled up on him early....stemming from a non contact injury he sustained while attempting to throw the ball. And he pressed forward and tried to put a brace on his knee and keep playing when he was better off resting. He never recovered from it.

But all means revise history so it meets your narrative.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One factor people don’t consider in this argument is our cap space. We have about $118m in cap space. We are going to be bringing in a ton of free agents. With that kind of cap room, we can bring in 5 new starting caliber players on the oline and still have the most cap space in the league. We act as if getting a rookie QB is going to be tough behind our current oline, but we don’t even know what this offense will look like next year.

You just made a case for why they should keep Fields and you don't even realize it.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except it doesn't account for him as a passer. Which is the concern. You cannot sustain success in this league, as a quarterback, without the ability to pass the football at a high level. This should be obvious. Rushing being such a large part of his game also just leads to a future marred by injury. Vick, Newton, and now Jackson. RGIII made it one year before injuries began to derail his career. Well, that and he also never developed as a passer.

A QB that can only be consistently efficient running the football, is also a QB that you will struggle MIGHTILY to win with playing from behind. Fields had a never ending SLEW of opportunities with the ball in his hands. Two minute drill. Game on the line. Most times, he didn't even net a first down or move into opposing territory in those situations.

Rushing yards are more of an accessory for a QB. It's a nice trait to possess and can certainly help in a big way. However, it's not in the same stratosphere of importance as throwing the football is. You can't just lump all of it together.
A giant water is wet post.

Who on this planet believe you can be a successful qb in this league wout being able to throw??

Thank you captain obvious

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't find the article where I read that at the moment, but those were pretty much his exact words. I really don't think any QB wants to rush all that much, altho I'll say this again - I worry much less about Fields getting hurt while running the ball than I do him getting blindsided in the pocket. More often than not, this is where QBs get hurt.

I actually think I heard that on J-Mac with news on The Herd........

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That should settle it.

Good find....hopefully you didnt rack your brain searching.....lol

Too bad he didnt get that record tho......would of been a nice consolation prize to the season.....

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good find....hopefully you didnt rack your brain searching.....lol

Too bad he didnt get that record tho......would of been a nice consolation prize to the season.....
LOL, nah wasn't too much of a search. It just bugged me as I'm sure it bugged you that we both specifically recall JF saying that, but it's always nice to see a specific link. And yeah, in a sense it was too bad he couldn't bust the record, but from all reports, even tho he could have played, he wasn't at 100% and those are the situations where perhaps a minor injury or ailment becomes much bigger had he played. I was more than happy to see him sit that final game.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would also set the rebuild back at least 1 season at the very least and potentially longer.

The saving money aspect of drafting a new QB is completely overblown and overrated.

You're really gonna trade a good young QB now so you don't have to pay him later? Ridiculous.
It's not ridicules if you watched Fields in practice all year and don't think he can be an elite passer in the league. This isn't a guy that is a studier and student like Hurts. He isn't on the same trajectory. You might be able to find a sucker to take him.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only under 25 attempts in 3 games, Fields only over 25 attempts in 3 games.

He holds onto the ball, does not trust his receivers, before you know it he will be dressing funny two. The 5 carat studs he wears to games is just a warning sign.
Wow

This is uh... something else.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not ridicules if you watched Fields in practice all year and don't think he can be an elite passer in the league. This isn't a guy that is a studier and student like Hurts. He isn't on the same trajectory. You might be able to find a sucker to take him.

Make up some more bullshit and see how it goes. You have no idea what he looks like in practice and how hard he studies. You’re pulling things out of your ass. Do that shit elsewhere…we already have enough Bears fans that do it here.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone seen Justin Fields got a vote for MVP.......A 5th place vote,but-non-the-less,it was still a vote........
As bad as this season was,never figured he was even in the conversation.....

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone seen Justin Fields got a vote for MVP.......A 5th place vote,but-non-the-less,it was still a vote........
As bad as this season was,never figured he was even in the conversation.....
The fifth place votes are token votes. Some chick voter picked a team doctor. Most valuable player. :L

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fifth place votes are token votes. Some chick voter picked a team doctor. Most valuable player. :L
We get one goddamn little accolade this season and here comes Super Bowl boy in to kick us down again…

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a Bears fan. They lost my affection in the 1985 Superbowl. Most of you were toddlers or floating around dad's testicles. None the less.
In my opinion, the Bears would be foolish to trade Fields if they didn't have a QB in waiting. Is there a QB in this draft that guarantees them a spot in the playoffs? Maybe the Bears should trade some of the people in the front office who keep making stupid trades and continue to put the Bears on one of those little spinning mouse wheels.

The Bears have a pretty decent core and need to build the offense around the strengths of Justin Fields. Top teams build their offenses around their QB strengths. ie: Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, Hurts. Even the Vikings have done it around Cousins. Smart move would be to find a quality veteran (under 27 years) WR and deal for him. Swap first round picks with the Bengals and get Higgins would be something to consider. Then sign Jakobi Meyers as a FA. Use that first round pick to snag a WR like Rashee Rice or Cedric Tillman.

The Bears have a huge financial advantage in 2023 and not many teams can even begin to think about competing with them in free agency. That and there are sixteen teams in the minus cap situation who will be looking to dump salaries. A Bears 4th, 5th or 6th round pick is equal to a 3rd, 4th or 5th and cash strapped teams will be eager to take dimes on a dollar to get out of cap hell. Rolex at a flea market price.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a Bears fan. They lost my affection in the 1985 Superbowl. Most of you were toddlers or floating around dad's testicles. None the less.
In my opinion, the Bears would be foolish to trade Fields if they didn't have a QB in waiting. Is there a QB in this draft that guarantees them a spot in the playoffs? Maybe the Bears should trade some of the people in the front office who keep making stupid trades and continue to put the Bears on one of those little spinning mouse wheels.

The Bears have a pretty decent core and need to build the offense around the strengths of Justin Fields. Top teams build their offenses around their QB strengths. ie: Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, Hurts. Even the Vikings have done it around Cousins. Smart move would be to find a quality veteran (under 27 years) WR and deal for him. Swap first round picks with the Bengals and get Higgins would be something to consider. Then sign Jakobi Meyers as a FA. Use that first round pick to snag a WR like Rashee Rice or Cedric Tillman.

The Bears have a huge financial advantage in 2023 and not many teams can even begin to think about competing with them in free agency. That and there are sixteen teams in the minus cap situation who will be looking to dump salaries. A Bears 4th, 5th or 6th round pick is equal to a 3rd, 4th or 5th and cash strapped teams will be eager to take dimes on a dollar to get out of cap hell. Rolex at a flea market price.

:L

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The ongoing stories discussing the possibility or trading Fields have never amounted to anything more than clickbait. Poles did allude to such a scenario in one of his pressers, but it was nothing more than a feeble attempt at a rope-a-dope. Why some Bears fans ever thought there were any legs to this story is something only they can attempt to explain. Zero chance of this happening. Zero.

As to your suggestion that perhaps the Bears could swap #1s with Cincy for Higgins is to put it mildly, insane. We'd be trading the top pick in the draft for the Bengals #2 receiver. Yeah, we'd be getting their 1st as well, but that's more akin to an early 2nd. We could do a lot more damage trading our pick to one of the top 10 drafting teams and receive some quality draft capital in exchange. Our team needs a helluva lot more talent on this roster than a single WR, as good as Higgins is, would bring to the table.

And the only scenario I see the Bears taking a WR with our 1st pick is if we were to trade out of the top 10, more like into the teens or something like that. Again, we need too much help in too many other areas, particularly the DL & OL, to be worrying about wasting our first on a wideout.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's look at this practically

And break down each of these points

Over his 25 starts Fields in 5-20

Over they're past 25 games with any QB not naned Fields starting the Bears are 12-13

Fields is 2-10 in once score games in that time frame

Foles/Dalton/Trubisky/Siemian are 4-4 in one sure games

Bears average 54 more pass yards per game when Fields doesn't start with a 4.3 higher QB rating

Bears QBs not named Fields also have a higher % pct in that time frame

Now auxiliary stuff

Fields has been sacked 91 times in his 25 starts ( 3.64 per game )

Bears QBs not named Fields have been sacked 65 times in the past 25 games he hasn't started ( 2. 6 per game )

Darnell Mooney last 25 games with Fields

45 rec 505 yards

Darnell Mooney last 25 games without Fields

105 rec 1185 yards

My take

Justin Fields is superbly talented athletically. He's capable of many truly exciting and electric plays

BUT

He's also a 1 read QB who gets happy feet in the pocket as soon as that first read isn't open which leads to him holding the ball too long ( 33rd fastest release rate in the league ) which ends in sacks or QB runs because when he's moving behind the line of scrimmage its hit to look to pass its to look to run

This is why the OL gives up farrrr more sacks with him than other less mobile QBs and why his WRs perform much better with even mediocre QBs like Dalton/Foles/Trubisky/Siemian than they do with Fields

Could this issues be rectified? Maybe

Could they just be who Fields is? Yes

But ultimately in a parity league you cant win close games with a QB who, when forced to beat you with his arm, isn't capable of beating you with his arm

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question isn't whether Fields could possibly be traded in the coming offseasons of '24, '25, whenever. Minus the benefit of having a crystal ball, anything is possible down the road. The question is will he be traded this offseason, and that is a flat out, no-questions-asked no.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question isn't whether Fields could possibly be traded in the coming offseasons of '24, '25, whenever. Minus the benefit of having a crystal ball, anything is possible down the road. The question is will he be traded this offseason, and that is a flat out, no-questions-asked no.
I agree, but what we saw in Hurts is what we can hope to see with Fields, i.e. become a passing threat and get the bears to the super bowl.

Its hard to look at yesterdays game and not think that is about as far as Fields will take the team, to the dance, but not win unless the opposing team gets stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.