• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Case for trading Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it’s not. You don’t like trading away the players you grew an affection for. A good GM doesn’t fall in love with players.

It’s not about affection. It’s about his skill set and his ceiling and production.

He proved he could lead an offense to score points this season. Imagine Fields on a roster like the 49ers or Eagles have….you think that’s not a threat to go all the way? Because it is.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zero. I played 4 seasons of college ball on a really bad team.

But you don’t see me forecasting players careers and calling for a restart when a guy is just getting going.
Well that explains the brain damage. I’m out. Enjoy getting pissed at random posters because they disagree with you. You’re a truly sad human being. Find a hobby.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that explains the brain damage. I’m out. Enjoy getting pissed at random posters because they disagree with you. You’re a truly sad human being. Find a hobby.

I’m the pissed one? Lol…..

And it’s not that you disagree. It’s that your logic is nonexistent.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, on to the idiots thoughts on the subject.

Why don't teams actually draft the player, then work on the trade afterwards? This always happens in the NBA. Then you start listening. Teams made their choices, you found where Anderson or Carter actually went, or some other stud that shows up at the combine, find out where they go and make the deal. At that point, you get offered a haul for Fields or a haul for Bryce Young. It blows up in your face, what is the damage, you let Bryce sit a year for sure, like the properly developed quarterbacks do, worst case 2 years like Aaron Rodgers when you have to make the decision on the fifth year option.

Everyone seems to support Getsy, you saying you cannot create a package for Bryce if you cannot make a trade? You dont want the same qualities as your starter when your starter goes down again? I can point to San Fran about having 2 "franchise" guys and watching Mr Irrelevant lead them to the super bowl.

I know, get the need................. but what really is the need? A 3-4 linebacker or a 330 pound DT that is not Aaron Donald (280).

Personally, I think the best pure passer in this draft is Levis. He has the Allen and Marino, possibly Elway quick release and wants to throw the ball, projected 5th, best DE to fit our 4-3 right now is Myles Murphy, slated around 10. You want to blow up the o line, best OT is Skoronski slated around 7.

Those are the needs. Yes, I think Tevin Jenkins can be a dominant tackle in this league, No, I do not think he will stay healthy enough. Jones is all rookie, biggest need (since they did not let Dieter play the position) is Center and those usually go late first or second.

So I am sure someone will dissect this, but maybe we just start with why dont they choose and then make the deal?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something that I think a lot of bears fans dismiss is trading Fields. I think there is a strong case for it. I’ll lay it out and then take the heat from the haters.

1. Salary- We have the most cap space in the league. Fields plays a position that is very expensive and he will be on the 3rd year of his contract. When we have to pay him, that will be significantly less money to go to the rest of the team. If we can trade him, we get Bryce young (Or maybe even trade back and take someone else) then that clock restarts. A broad idea I have heard and somewhat support is what I call the 0 qb strategy. Basically, use cheap QBs to run the team while building up the team around the QB. I think it’s worth a shot, but would take balls to implement. I would try it until we get a qb like Rodgers, Mahommes, etc. I don’t want to pay a mediocre qb a max qb salary. That hurts the team.

2. Passing- The Fields defenders will say he has no help. And I can agree with that, but I’ve seen this story told many times over the years. I also don’t expect a qb that uses his legs effectively to gain useful game experience passing the ball when he’s running for his life all of the time. Someone like Brady or Peyton Manning had to sit in the pocket and pass the ball. If they didn’t get rid of the ball, it was a sack. Passing was their only option. With fields, he can run at anytime. He’s learning to make a read or two and then run. When he loses his speed, he’s not going to have the proper experience to convert into an elite passer. Then we would be stuck with an expensive QB that can’t pass.

3. Value- I think we could get a first rounder for him this year. His value probably won’t remain that high for long. If we can get a nice haul for him, I say we do it.

Bryce Young has some red flags, most notably stemming from his size. We saw what could happen with that when we had Rex Grossman, but Young seems much more mobile. However, I don’t see Bryce young being much worse than Fields has been (Not that he’s been necessarily that bad).

If we could trade Fields for the 4th pick in the draft and some change, I say we wish fields the best and make the trade. It’s very rare that you can flip a player for a pick that is higher than what you selected the player at.

I’ve said my piece. There might be more arguments I’m missing for fields being traded, so fill them in if you noticed them. I think that should be a scenario that is on the table right now.
You are risking a lot with a new QB at 1, especially when the class of QB's coming out isn't that touted. There isn't a Luck or even a Lawernce in this QB draft class. The Bears have a known product in Fields. Young could be a Leaf. He is an unknown quantity and not a consensus sure thing.

Now, I have no ability to try to quantify an NFL ready QB or even a Fields at this point in time. Like you have posted, put a Tom Brady or a Payton Manning into this offense with these Wr's, TE and O line, I have zero confidence how things could turn out. Throwing a new rookie QB into this quagmire of a rebuild could mean many more seasons of learning and disappointing play. I don't believe the coaching staff has that luxury at this point. This coming year is year 2 of what's supposed to be a 3 year rebuild. A new QB might stretch that out to 4 or 5 years. Or perhaps not.

That's the problem with drafting a QB at 1 as I see it. Unknown v. the Known.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I am sure someone will dissect this, but maybe we just start with why dont they choose and then make the deal?

The NBA has the Stepien rule. The NFL does not. That's why one league does it one way and the other league doesn't.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also those draft rights trades in the NBA are predetermined. You don't draft a guy then dangle the rights to him to the highest bidder. A trade is already agreed upon and GM from Team A tells the GM from Team B who he wants and the team drafts that player then trades the rights to him.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are risking a lot with a new QB at 1, especially when the class of QB's coming out isn't that touted. There isn't a Luck or even a Lawernce in this QB draft class. The Bears have a known product in Fields. Young could be a Leaf. He is an unknown quantity and not a consensus sure thing.

Now, I have no ability to try to quantify an NFL ready QB or even a Fields at this point in time. Like you have posted, put a Tom Brady or a Payton Manning into this offense with these Wr's, TE and O line, I have zero confidence how things could turn out. Throwing a new rookie QB into this quagmire of a rebuild could mean many more seasons of learning and disappointing play. I don't believe the coaching staff has that luxury at this point. This coming year is year 2 of what's supposed to be a 3 year rebuild. A new QB might stretch that out to 4 or 5 years. Or perhaps not.

That's the problem with drafting a QB at 1 as I see it. Unknown v. the Known.
well, Clowney is showing that being number 1 is not just a problem with quarterbacks.

That is the problem with picking 1. Too high for OT, probably too high for DT, 3-4 edge LB does not fit.

I dont see Fields ever getting it. He has shown no improvement in making reads and delivering the ball, even when the biggest receivers in football are running towards him, he is always going to run. I see the same revolving door we have had for the past 20 plus years. Even if Fields improves, you use the fifth year option, going rate is 40 million guaranteed. That is what Poles is facing, get everyone around him and he still passes for 150 a game, then his career is on the line, going to bat for someone who was not his pick.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, Clowney is showing that being number 1 is not just a problem with quarterbacks.

That is the problem with picking 1. Too high for OT, probably too high for DT, 3-4 edge LB does not fit.

I dont see Fields ever getting it. He has shown no improvement in making reads and delivering the ball, even when the biggest receivers in football are running towards him, he is always going to run. I see the same revolving door we have had for the past 20 plus years. Even if Fields improves, you use the fifth year option, going rate is 40 million guaranteed. That is what Poles is facing, get everyone around him and he still passes for 150 a game, then his career is on the line, going to bat for someone who was not his pick.
That is one scenario, and certainly we've seen it play out for decades in Chicago. Poles did come out and say Fields was his guy going forward and he does, at least in his youth, present a problem of run ability to defenses. If he throws for 150 and runs for 200 that is still pretty productive, heh.
Let us get some pieces, see what happens. Fix the damn O line, Poles... Please.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many of the criticism levied on Justin were made about hurts last year.

If Chicago thinks fields can make hurts like evolution they should keep him.

If they don't, they'll never be better positioned to get assets for him and be able draft top QB prospect.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only problem with picking #1 is it means you sucked that season.

For fucks sake…this is gonna be a brutal offseason.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they don't, they'll never be better positioned to get assets for him and be able draft top QB prospect.

Only problem with that is this crop of QBs is much weaker compared to other drafts.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also those draft rights trades in the NBA are predetermined. You don't draft a guy then dangle the rights to him to the highest bidder. A trade is already agreed upon and GM from Team A tells the GM from Team B who he wants and the team drafts that player then trades the rights to him.
Point is, that you see who is left at seattles or indy's pick and you can choose your guy, along with the extra picks. You have the advantage.

That is the main point, might not be the best year for QB, but you get a little better you are picking closer to 10 unless you are giving up picks when you figure out whether fields figured it out or not.

The difference with Hurts is their offensive minded head coach and his willingness to use what Hurts does best. Sure, Hurts had a couple big rushing games, but more likely is throwing for 250-300 yards. We all know what Getsy sees as what Fields does best and its running.

That is the fear, you blow your wad on receivers and linemen and you have disgruntled receivers who are not getting theirs. Drop Claypool to WR3 or 4 and your blown pick just becomes a bigger mistake and no way you are going to resign him.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point is, that you see who is left at seattles or indy's pick and you can choose your guy, along with the extra picks. You have the advantage

Your point is totally wrong because you don’t even understand how why and what is happening.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ts had a couple big rushing games, but more likely is throwing for 250-300 yards. We all know what Getsy sees as what Fields does best and its running.

Hurts threw for less than 250 yards in 2 out of 3 games played this year.

And had more rushing attempts than Fields.

This is what happens when you don’t actually watch football, know nothing about it, but just like throwing out baseless opinions.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference in yards throw per game between Hurts and Fields in 22 is a little less than 100.

And are we gonna say that improving pass protection and adding a top tier weapon in the passing game wouldn’t close that gap a bit or even all the way?

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurts threw for less than 250 yards in 2 out of 3 games played this year.

And had more rushing attempts than Fields.

This is what happens when you don’t actually watch football, know nothing about it, but just like throwing out baseless opinions.
Einstein, he threw for less than 250 yards in 2 out of 3 games played this year? Are you counting the games he did not play. He threw for around 150 in 2 games, over 200 in 11 games, four of which were over 300.

Fields had one game at 208, one at 254, 7 under 160, including a 90, 119 and a 121 in the 14 games he played this year.

Those are football reference baseless opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.