• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Case for trading Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields biggest weakness this season was being hesitant. He took sacks when he had open receivers and extended plays when he didn’t need to. He has to trust what he sees and deliver confident throws even when it’s not a perfect opening. Too often he’s looking for the perfect pass. The perfect pass rarely exists in the NFL.

He went to his 3rd and 4th read pretty often this season. A lot more than the average fanboy realizes.

Progression isn’t the issue. Trusting his eyes is.

His other biggest weakness this season was accuracy on really short throws as well as his deep ball seemed to regress from his first season.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The context was accomplishments.

TEAM accomplishments, I guess...but they're in the playoffs and his individual accomplishments are kind of insane.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with this is we're talking about a solution in search of a problem. Trading Fields at this point would indicate that the Bears feel he's a bust in the making. Why would a team want to trade a valuable 1st round pick for a player whose current team has no faith in him? But let's say for the sake of discussion the Bears are able to trade him to Indy for their 1st (#4) and 'change'. Here's what we'd accomplish:

*We'd lose three valuable spots in the draft order while also losing a starting QB.
*If we use that pick on a QB, would it be for the one targeted by the Bears brass?
*And assuming we use that 4th pick on a QB, we'd now have a rookie who has to learn from scratch, while also missing out on who knows how many other picks we might obtain if we were to trade the #1 instead.
*And what guarantee does our new rookie QB bring to the table?
*The draft capital we'd obtain in trading back from #4 would be significantly less than it would be from #1.....and we'd still be out a starting QB.

Sorry, but it just doesn't add up. Yeah, there have been a bunch of articles suggesting the Bears should look into this, but to me it smacks of writers attempting to create a self fulfilling prophecy than anything based in realism. As for Poles not completely ruling out such a trade, I prefer to use the term rope-a-dope, because that's exactly what it is.
We wouldn't trade the #1 pick. That's the whole point. We would trade Fields for draft capital and use the #1 pick on the QB of our choosing.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most we don’t trade Fields. However i dont believe it’s out of the question.

The most likely reason being:
* coaching staff and management who knows Fields best, think Fields will never be a good passer or get much better
* coaching staff and management believe B Young to have a higher ceiling than Fields
* and you reset the clock on having to pay your starting QB which hopefully is better in line with when Young will be ready

Furthermore I don’t believe just because you want to trade Fields that that means nobody would want him. Fields still has value and will command a 1st and +.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most we don’t trade Fields. However i dont believe it’s out of the question.

The most likely reason being:
* coaching staff and management who knows Fields best, think Fields will never be a good passer or get much better
* coaching staff and management believe B Young to have a higher ceiling than Fields
* and you reset the clock on having to pay your starting QB which hopefully is better in line with when Young will be ready

Furthermore I don’t believe just because you want to trade Fields that that means nobody would want him. Fields still has value and will command a 1st and +.
100% that other teams inquire about Fields.

Very very low % that Poles moves him.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We wouldn't trade the #1 pick. That's the whole point. We would trade Fields for draft capital and use the #1 pick on the QB of our choosing.
Ahhh, well that's different. Never mind. But also no to trading him as well.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's trade Fields because he hasn't accomplished anything.

But we want a team to give up a top 5 pick for him....even though he sucks.

And with that pick we will draft a QB......that hasn't accomplished anything.

This "logic" is astounding.
You missed my logic entirely. Reread the OP.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% that other teams inquire about Fields.

Very very low % that Poles moves him.
I tend to agree. I doubt we trade him, but it’s not off the table. What if some team values him like Deshaun Watson - the baggage and is ready to give up two first rounders plus for him?

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making up dumb ideas doesn’t generate conversation. It’s just making up dumb ideas.
We leave the responsibility of making up dumb ideas to you on this message board. You’re so good at it. I don’t think I’ve read something from you that wasn’t dumb.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys traded for a WR and didn't pay your LB. A team moving on from Fields would've done the opposite imo.

I do think there is some logic in taking the highest rated rookie QB normally but the Bears are sitting on a ton of cash and there is a big need at pass rusher in a draft that has at least 3 near the top

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We leave the responsibility of making up dumb ideas to you on this message board. You’re so good at it. I don’t think I’ve read something from you that wasn’t dumb.

Great retort. You really just did a I know you are but what am I. Well done. Pat yourself on the back.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys traded for a WR and didn't pay your LB. A team moving on from Fields would've done the opposite imo.

I do think there is some logic in taking the highest rated rookie QB normally but the Bears are sitting on a ton of cash and there is a big need at pass rusher in a draft that has at least 3 near the top

Don’t try to apply sound logic. It’ll just confuse folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.