• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Case for trading Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is trading Fields, not a known commodity Fields. Especially, for which one of the Ryan Leaf qb's the Bears would probably pick with the #1 selection. I mean, the Bears are not exactly known for developing HoF quarterbacks. RB's sure, MLB's definitely, QB's not so much. Particularly with our current Defensive minded Head Coach.

If I was Bryce Young I would pray, beg, borrow and steal my way to Denver to play under Sean Payton who knows exactly HOW to coach a short QB.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are teams desperate for a qb upgrade.....
But what does Carr have to do with Fields.....??....Carr is a fa and will have a home long before JF will be traded.......same as Rodgers.

The market for both Carr and Rodgers (As a trade target) is slim.

Carr is only gonna want to go somewhere he can win now. He’s not a rebuild QB. Rodgers is only gonna approve a trade to a team SB ready.

The teams attracted to Fields are completely different than the teams attracted to those two guys.

It’s not even a discussion.
Bears draft a qb and we still have Fields.......??......teams will be low balling us to get Fields.........
The Colts would rather draft one of the qbs and start him their own way with that qb,rather than TRY to fix JFs problem.....they dont want to fix a qb that is now entering his 3rd season.......not too mention the cost of him once that rookie contract runs out in another year......and now theyre stuck paying upwards of what 40 mill for a qb whos passing needs fixed........they are smarter than that

There’s no lowballing in that situation because multiple teams are bidding against each other. With the clock ticking.

You have absolutely no idea what the Colts would rather do. So just stop pretending you do.

And if the Colts are smarter than that….explain Carson Wentz and Matt Ryan. The Colts have made bad desperate moves at QB and their GM has already openly said he’s gonna be aggressive and do it again.

It’s cool that you think you know what GMs think but you don’t. None of us do. Let history and common sense be the guide.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is trading Fields, not a known commodity Fields. Especially, for which one of the Ryan Leaf qb's the Bears would probably pick with the #1 selection. I mean, the Bears are not exactly known for developing HoF quarterbacks. RB's sure, MLB's definitely, QB's not so much. Particularly with our current Defensive minded Head Coach.

If I was Bryce Young I would pray, beg, borrow and steal my way to Denver to play under Sean Payton who knows exactly HOW to coach a short QB.
Just because Payton succeeded with Brees, does not mean he did anything coaching wise specific for his height. I would want to go to Denver simply because Payton is a proven HC. However, the height of the QB he succeeded with, doesn't mean a whole lot. If anything, I am more impressed at Brees success coming in spite of his subpar arm strength. As opposed to his height.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brees had subpar arm strength?

Lol. Why do you silly fucks just insist on making stuff up?

In his prime Brees probably had a top 5 arm as compared to his peers.

Coming out of a college it was considered a weakness that he quickly quieted everyone on and then it only declined at the end of his career. Prime Brees whipped the ball all over the field with amazing accuracy on top of it.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be Wilson’s backup?
After what Wilson managed last year, I would be surprised if Payton doesn't look to go another way, but again, it is more about a coach being used to a short QB and not afraid of the notion. Coaches and GM's are all about the metrics... The "prototypical" statistics... blah blah blah.

And believe me, there are anomaly's, just look at D. Henry... 6'3, 250lbs doing what he's doing? Lead the league in rushing, what? 4 times now? How many great RB's where his size? Perhaps one? Oilers, Earl Cambell who didn't last nearly as long or have as many rushing titles.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After what Wilson managed last year, I would be surprised if Payton doesn't look to go another way, but again, it is more about a coach being used to a short QB and not afraid of the notion. Coaches and GM's are all about the metrics... The "prototypical" statistics... blah blah blah.

And believe me, there are anomaly's, just look at D. Henry... 6'3, 250lbs doing what he's doing? Lead the league in rushing, what? 4 times now? How many great RB's where his size? Perhaps one? Oilers, Earl Cambell who didn't last nearly as long or have as many rushing titles.

Denver is too invested in Wilson. Who….is also short. Even though you’re blowing size out of proportion. Coaches and GMs draft based on metrics sure. But the NFL is all about production.

Also I’m shocked you’ve never heard of Jim Brown Eddie George Eric Dickerson or Larry Csonka.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The market for both Carr and Rodgers (As a trade target) is slim.

Carr is only gonna want to go somewhere he can win now. He’s not a rebuild QB. Rodgers is only gonna approve a trade to a team SB ready.

The teams attracted to Fields are completely different than the teams attracted to those two guys.

It’s not even a discussion.

There’s no lowballing in that situation because multiple teams are bidding against each other. With the clock ticking.

You have absolutely no idea what the Colts would rather do. So just stop pretending you do.

And if the Colts are smarter than that….explain Carson Wentz and Matt Ryan. The Colts have made bad desperate moves at QB and their GM has already openly said he’s gonna be aggressive and do it again.

It’s cool that you think you know what GMs think but you don’t. None of us do. Let history and common sense be the guide.

From what I remeber reading,Poles will trade Fields if he gets wowwed.....well Fields will be a Bear next season then,cause nobody is giving up top picks for him......

And please tell me you didnt just compare Wentz and Ryan to JF......

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.well Fields will be a Bear next season then,cause nobody is giving up top picks for him......

How often do you speak to the GMs around the league?

Exactly. Please stop making absolute statements that you can’t possibly backup with anything because you’re just one of millions of ultimately clueless fans. Like the rest of us.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And please tell me you didnt just compare Wentz and Ryan to JF.

If you could read, which clearly you can’t, you’d see I compared what the Colts are willing to do for a QB to you saying they wouldn’t possibly give up a first round pick for Fields.

Comprehension that difficult?

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you could read, which clearly you can’t, you’d see I compared what the Colts are willing to do for a QB to you saying they wouldn’t possibly give up a first round pick for Fields.

Comprehension that difficult?

No they wont give up a first........

If Fields is still a Bear,which I know he will be because Poles isnt wowwed enough,then I told ya so......

And its not my fault you cant tell the difference between JF and Wentz/Ryan........you may,you just wanna argue the fact.....

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you trade fields if houston offered two firsts? What if they offered this years first? What about Indy?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver is too invested in Wilson. Who….is also short. Even though you’re blowing size out of proportion. Coaches and GMs draft based on metrics sure. But the NFL is all about production.

Also I’m shocked you’ve never heard of Jim Brown Eddie George Eric Dickerson or Larry Csonka.
Eddie played at 230, Eric 220, Larry 237, and Jim at 232. Eddie and Larry never led the nfl in Rushing. Derrick led the NFL in rushing 2017-2021. Aside from Jim Brown, no one else on that list can claim that. And at 250lb.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you trade fields if houston offered two firsts? What if they offered this years first? What about Indy?

This is one of those "performing the experiment in a controlled environment and not considering all the potential factors" moments...Sounds good...in theory...

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion but once Getsy found out Fields could run, the offense got exciting. I'd rather we discuss trading Getsy.
:trash:

Keep Fields.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with this is we're talking about a solution in search of a problem. Trading Fields at this point would indicate that the Bears feel he's a bust in the making. Why would a team want to trade a valuable 1st round pick for a player whose current team has no faith in him? But let's say for the sake of discussion the Bears are able to trade him to Indy for their 1st (#4) and 'change'. Here's what we'd accomplish:

*We'd lose three valuable spots in the draft order while also losing a starting QB.
*If we use that pick on a QB, would it be for the one targeted by the Bears brass?
*And assuming we use that 4th pick on a QB, we'd now have a rookie who has to learn from scratch, while also missing out on who knows how many other picks we might obtain if we were to trade the #1 instead.
*And what guarantee does our new rookie QB bring to the table?
*The draft capital we'd obtain in trading back from #4 would be significantly less than it would be from #1.....and we'd still be out a starting QB.

Sorry, but it just doesn't add up. Yeah, there have been a bunch of articles suggesting the Bears should look into this, but to me it smacks of writers attempting to create a self fulfilling prophecy than anything based in realism. As for Poles not completely ruling out such a trade, I prefer to use the term rope-a-dope, because that's exactly what it is.

Im not into wanting to trade Fields........Get him players.

Why would Poles wanna start over,other than to have a qb that HE actually drafted....but if he did that and JF went on to greener Fields so to speak and his draftee was a bust,that gets him fired and very hard to find another job.....

Colin Cowherd brought up a great point the other day.......(and this is assuming we most likely trade down);

Whatever extra picks we get,we will be getting their no.1 next season,that gives us two......two no.1s,with a better qb class coming out next season,we should be able to right the ship at qb.......

Best idea Ive heard yet......

I think if y'all trade Fields, it's a bone head move. Fields had zero talent around him. That kid can play, will be better than Hurts in a couple of years. Trade down to 3 or 4 overall and then trade down again. Add 4-5 rookie starters and sign some FA help and build around this kid

I agree with most we don’t trade Fields. However i dont believe it’s out of the question.

The most likely reason being:
* coaching staff and management who knows Fields best, think Fields will never be a good passer or get much better
* coaching staff and management believe B Young to have a higher ceiling than Fields
* and you reset the clock on having to pay your starting QB which hopefully is better in line with when Young will be ready

Furthermore I don’t believe just because you want to trade Fields that that means nobody would want him. Fields still has value and will command a 1st and +.

Justin Feilds is loved in the locker room. He is a hard worker, first one in, last one to leave sort. He isn't going anywhere. And if you are going to talk about yards as a QB, you really do need to toss in his rushing yards per game. That is part of his total package as well. Would I rather he threw for those yards rather than rush for them, sure, but he still gets the yards, no matter how you look at it.
8 short months later, and it’s looking like fields is currently worthless on the trade market. Sure, he might be able to salvage his season, but is it possible I was right, and trading fields would’ve been genius at the time? It would’ve been highway robbery. Young doesn’t look like anything special, so drafting him would’ve probably been a mistake, but he has even more time to prove me wrong.

It sucks that we are terrible, but that’s what it is. I’m still hoping fields can turn it around.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 short months later, and it’s looking like fields is currently worthless on the trade market. Sure, he might be able to salvage his season, but is it possible I was right, and trading fields would’ve been genius at the time? It would’ve been highway robbery. Young doesn’t look like anything special, so drafting him would’ve probably been a mistake, but he has even more time to prove me wrong.

It sucks that we are terrible, but that’s what it is. I’m still hoping fields can turn it around.

I know,crazy isnt it.......

And to tell you the truth,with all the bullshit with worrying about if Fields makes it or not,Id still take a qb with our first pick,just because we will always wonder if he went back to his old ways........

Kinda sad......

Status
Not open for further replies.