• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Case for trading Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 short months later, and it’s looking like fields is currently worthless on the trade market. Sure, he might be able to salvage his season, but is it possible I was right, and trading fields would’ve been genius at the time? It would’ve been highway robbery. Young doesn’t look like anything special, so drafting him would’ve probably been a mistake, but he has even more time to prove me wrong.

It sucks that we are terrible, but that’s what it is. I’m still hoping fields can turn it around.
It's just 2 games and Young has basically no speed at WR. They are utilizing a short passing game....they should be running it more.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 short months later, and it’s looking like fields is currently worthless on the trade market. Sure, he might be able to salvage his season, but is it possible I was right, and trading fields would’ve been genius at the time? It would’ve been highway robbery. Young doesn’t look like anything special, so drafting him would’ve probably been a mistake, but he has even more time to prove me wrong.

It sucks that we are terrible, but that’s what it is. I’m still hoping fields can turn it around.
I think I was spot on. I got shot down saying we should think about trading him.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what just happened? Fields blames coaching, then the bears release Peterman leaving only Bagent as the backup.

Was this a dont worry baby about being benched or a way to name Bagent QB2?

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what just happened? Fields blames coaching, then the bears release Peterman leaving only Bagent as the backup.

Peterman was re-signed this morning

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And they promptly resigned Peterman right back.

Fields clarified his statement and the coaching staff clarified his comments were in no way disparaging to them.

But that won't stop the idiots from overreacting.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've seen teams with less playmakers and worse QB gain yards. And score points. This is a constant Bears problem.

Maybe if we stop hiring rookie GM's, rookie head coaches to develope rookie QB we will have better results.

Paging Kevin Warren.... paging Kevin Warren.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Peterman cut/resign is embarrassing. No one at any level are on the same page it seems.
:gaah:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The opposite. Peterman was never a threat to subplant Fields. He's infamously bad, but a good mentor.

They seem to be making moves just incase they DO have to try to go another direction at QB - as a hail mary attempt to save their jobs.

Bagent is the only guy who makes even remote sense for that type of move. He's the ultimate "well, fuck it - let's see".

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Peterman cut/resign is embarrassing. No one at any level are on the same page it seems.
:gaah:
No, it makes sense. They wanted to elevate Bagent to backup. This was the only way. You have to let Peterman go through waivers before putting on practice squad.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something that I think a lot of bears fans dismiss is trading Fields. I think there is a strong case for it. I’ll lay it out and then take the heat from the haters.

1. Salary- We have the most cap space in the league. Fields plays a position that is very expensive and he will be on the 3rd year of his contract. When we have to pay him, that will be significantly less money to go to the rest of the team. If we can trade him, we get Bryce young (Or maybe even trade back and take someone else) then that clock restarts. A broad idea I have heard and somewhat support is what I call the 0 qb strategy. Basically, use cheap QBs to run the team while building up the team around the QB. I think it’s worth a shot, but would take balls to implement. I would try it until we get a qb like Rodgers, Mahommes, etc. I don’t want to pay a mediocre qb a max qb salary. That hurts the team.

2. Passing- The Fields defenders will say he has no help. And I can agree with that, but I’ve seen this story told many times over the years. I also don’t expect a qb that uses his legs effectively to gain useful game experience passing the ball when he’s running for his life all of the time. Someone like Brady or Peyton Manning had to sit in the pocket and pass the ball. If they didn’t get rid of the ball, it was a sack. Passing was their only option. With fields, he can run at anytime. He’s learning to make a read or two and then run. When he loses his speed, he’s not going to have the proper experience to convert into an elite passer. Then we would be stuck with an expensive QB that can’t pass.

3. Value- I think we could get a first rounder for him this year. His value probably won’t remain that high for long. If we can get a nice haul for him, I say we do it.

Bryce Young has some red flags, most notably stemming from his size. We saw what could happen with that when we had Rex Grossman, but Young seems much more mobile. However, I don’t see Bryce young being much worse than Fields has been (Not that he’s been necessarily that bad).

If we could trade Fields for the 4th pick in the draft and some change, I say we wish fields the best and make the trade. It’s very rare that you can flip a player for a pick that is higher than what you selected the player at.

I’ve said my piece. There might be more arguments I’m missing for fields being traded, so fill them in if you noticed them. I think that should be a scenario that is on the table right now.
This is looking pretty fucking smart right about now cistern by years end Chicago will be lucky to get a 3rd or 4th rd pick for Fields

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The opposite. Peterman was never a threat to subplant Fields. He's infamously bad, but a good mentor.

They seem to be making moves just incase they DO have to try to go another direction at QB - as a hail mary attempt to save their jobs.

Bagent is the only guy who makes even remote sense for that type of move. He's the ultimate "well, fuck it - let's see".
I just thought the timing was strange. Cut Peterman, Fields has his tirade blaming the coaching, sign back peterman.

I did hear Peterman was signed back to the active roster, I might be mistaken since I usually am.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it makes sense. They wanted to elevate Bagent to backup. This was the only way. You have to let Peterman go through waivers before putting on practice squad.

They didn't practice squad him though. They resigned him to the roster.

The reason this happened is because the Bears were gonna poach a player from another teams practice squad and they needed a roster spot. They missed out on the player and resigned Peterman.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They wanted to elevate Bagent to backup.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest this is true, just to be clear.

Because if this had been the case a Bagent signing to the 53 man roster would have come along with a Peterman cut. But it didn't.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2 whole games lol. Their idiot coaches are trying to turn him into Dan Marino lol. Let him play like what he is, Hurts or Lamar Jackson, and he will be fine

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 whole games lol. Their idiot coaches are trying to turn him into Dan Marino lol. Let him play like what he is, Hurts or Lamar Jackson, and he will be fine
This play resulted in a sack.

Attachments

• 379990181_1054277275942062_7182358328353367147_n.jpg
    379990181_1054277275942062_7182358328353367147_n.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.