• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bears 2021 Offseason

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Derek Carr is possibly in our mix now...

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does anyone think Mitch gets an opening day starting job in the NFL for the 2021 season? I mean...Some of you guys think (however improbable) that he's still legit...Which team is going to give him this opportunity off the FA pile?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does anyone think Mitch gets an opening day starting job in the NFL for the 2021 season? I mean...Some of you guys think (however improbable) that he's still legit...Which team is going to give him this opportunity off the FA pile?
Unless he goes somewhere and the starter ahead of him gets hurt? I doubt it. Maybe he gets a chance to compete with a rookie somewhere on a team that is rebuilding? I don't really see it, though. No one is going to bring him in saying that this is our guy now. That is for damn sure.

He'll get another shot somewhere down the road when a starter sucks or gets hurt. I am quite sure of that. But I would be surprised if he is anyone's Week 1 starter.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we just hired Pettine from the Packers. The guy who got roasted after the NFCCG.

This is going to be the biggest WTF offseason in history isn't it?

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we just hired Pettine from the Packers. The guy who got roasted after the NFCCG.

This is going to be the biggest WTF offseason in history isn't it?

I guess others seem happy about this from what I'm reading...Guess I shouldn't judge the man on one bad game...and that he's got the stench of cheesehead on him.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some rumors floating around regarding Russell Wilson.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some rumors floating around regarding Russell Wilson.

Not gonna happen...

Nor is JJ Watt...

I guess this offseason is just gonna be a complete sh*tfest.

Carson Wentz isn't a Bear yet...so we've got that going for us.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna happen...

Nor is JJ Watt...

I guess this offseason is just gonna be a complete sh*tfest.

Carson Wentz isn't a Bear yet...so we've got that going for us.
The Colts have offered two 2nds for Wentz, which is reportedly the best deal on the table. Props to Pace for not overpaying for the guy.

Best not to expect anything big this offseason. You've quite likely got a lame duck coach and GM so players aren't going be lining up to come here as long as they have other options available.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Colts have offered two 2nds for Wentz, which is reportedly the best deal on the table. Props to Pace for not overpaying for the guy.

Best not to expect anything big this offseason. You've quite likely got a lame duck coach and GM so players aren't going be lining up to come here as long as they have other options available.

We're in a corner because our ownership blew it with Mitch, Nagy and Pace (whatever % you want to assign for blame...It lies at the 3 of theirs' feet...and then ultimately the ownership that rode their train) ..It just is what it is. I would just ride with Foles and a rookie pick...or a retread free agent that doesn't completely cap destroy us. That can be salvaged when Nagy/Pace get the heave ho at the end of this season. We'll see.

Nelly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're in a corner because our ownership blew it with Mitch, Nagy and Pace (whatever % you want to assign for blame...It lies at the 3 of theirs' feet...and then ultimately the ownership that rode their train) ..It just is what it is. I would just ride with Foles and a rookie pick...or a retread free agent that doesn't completely cap destroy us. That can be salvaged when Nagy/Pace get the heave ho at the end of this season. We'll see.
If we're looking for a re-tread then might as well just toss Foles in there. The O line was at it's worst when he was put in so if he has decent protection then Foles can maybe be a decent QB... at least not really any worse than any run-of-the-mill QB we'd otherwise get anyway. If that's the plan then I'd take a QB in the 2nd to at least see if we could catch lightning in a bottle. We need to start drafting QBs until we have one.

There's not a lot of middle ground as a Bears fan this upcoming year. You're either hoping for a lot of things to break in our favor and make a run in the playoffs or you're hoping for a spectacular failure so the impetus is there to make the changes that need to be made. After back-to-back 8-8 seasons Pace/Nagy are still here, so you'd have to think that they'd need a sub .500 season to be ousted, which would be miserable to watch considering we still have some talent on the team (especially defensively).

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're looking for a re-tread then might as well just toss Foles in there. The O line was at it's worst when he was put in so if he has decent protection then Foles can maybe be a decent QB... at least not really any worse than any run-of-the-mill QB we'd otherwise get anyway. If that's the plan then I'd take a QB in the 2nd to at least see if we could catch lightning in a bottle. We need to start drafting QBs until we have one.

There's not a lot of middle ground as a Bears fan this upcoming year. You're either hoping for a lot of things to break in our favor and make a run in the playoffs or you're hoping for a spectacular failure so the impetus is there to make the changes that need to be made. After back-to-back 8-8 seasons Pace/Nagy are still here, so you'd have to think that they'd need a sub .500 season to be ousted, which would be miserable to watch considering we still have some talent on the team (especially defensively).

God if we went 8-8 in 2021 and both Nagy/Pace survived...I would blow a gasket. Especially if it was the same ol' "can't sniff the endzone vs any team that isn't complete dogsh*t" stuff that got us there....which it probably would be.

Nelly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God if we went 8-8 in 2021 and both Nagy/Pace survived...I would blow a gasket. Especially if it was the same ol' "can't sniff the endzone vs any team that isn't complete dogsh*t" stuff that got us there....which it probably would be.
I doubt they would still survive. But consider this scenario:
  1. Desai is just what this defense needed: injection of life and a return to the Fangio style of doing things. As such:
  2. Eddie Jackson returns to 2018 form.
  3. Roquan Smith becomes an undisputed top 3 ILB
  4. Goldman's return means we become quite good at stopping the run again
  5. Khalil Mack becomes dominant again thanks in part to Goldman being back
  6. Quinn shakes the foot issues and becomes a force again
  7. Jaylon Johnson follows up his rookie year with even more growth
Because the defense is back to top-5 territory, the offense doesn't need as much help. Still, things break accordingly:
  1. Pace grabs an OT with the first round pick and another in free agency for depth.
  2. Whitehair/Mustipher/Daniels solidify the interior line.
  3. With the O line performing better, Foles turns back into a functional QB.
  4. With Foles as a functional QB who can throw a deep ball, Mooney becomes that much more of a threat, following up on a really promising rookie season.
  5. Kmet takes a step to be a reliable target over the middle along with being a good blocker.
  6. Robinson is back doing what Robinson does.
  7. With Montgomery solidified as a workhorse, Cohen is integrated back into the offense in a way that reclaims some of that past glory.
  8. The offense takes steps to be around a league average unit with at least some capability to win games.
Paired with a top 5 defense, that type of team easily makes the playoffs and could even do some damage, basically being what we were in 2018 with perhaps more upside since Trubisky could never win games with his arm. We'd also be dangerous in the return game with Patterson/Cohen still.

If that happens, Pace and Nagy probably get extended while the underlying issues remain: pressed to the cap, aging defense, no long-term QB and so on. Is that ideal? Or would it be better to see a spectacular failure, assuring a change of GM/Coach and plenty of the personnel, leading to at least another year of bad play before we have some hope at seeing the team compete again in 2023?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are not gonna go get a coveted QB, and just settle on a lame-duck year, then they should just fire sale it all and rebuild.

Get tired of watching great defenses get wasted. Sell Mack, sell em all if that's the plan.

If we are not blowing it up, then they need to get someone better than fucking Foles in there. PERIOD.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are not gonna go get a coveted QB, and just settle on a lame-duck year, then they should just fire sale it all and rebuild.

Get tired of watching great defenses get wasted. Sell Mack, sell em all if that's the plan.

If we are not blowing it up, then they need to get someone better than fucking Foles in there. PERIOD.

There's nothing for us out there man. There's no answer. Watson is the only option but at too high of a cost. Unless it's a miracle rookie, we're screwed. Funny thing is Brady was our most legit chance between last season and this one...and that obviously didn't happen....still doubt he was ever going to consider us....but Brady/Gronk would have been the answer over Foles/Graham/Quinn. Outside of that 2020 and 2021 have nothing for us at QB as far as available QB's go.

Nelly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but with Pace/Nagy still here and the talent they've acquired the last 3 years, it feels like they've got something of a green light to go for broke one last time.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt they would still survive. But consider this scenario:
  1. Desai is just what this defense needed: injection of life and a return to the Fangio style of doing things. As such:
  2. Eddie Jackson returns to 2018 form.
  3. Roquan Smith becomes an undisputed top 3 ILB
  4. Goldman's return means we become quite good at stopping the run again
  5. Khalil Mack becomes dominant again thanks in part to Goldman being back
  6. Quinn shakes the foot issues and becomes a force again
  7. Jaylon Johnson follows up his rookie year with even more growth
Because the defense is back to top-5 territory, the offense doesn't need as much help. Still, things break accordingly:
  1. Pace grabs an OT with the first round pick and another in free agency for depth.
  2. Whitehair/Mustipher/Daniels solidify the interior line.
  3. With the O line performing better, Foles turns back into a functional QB.
  4. With Foles as a functional QB who can throw a deep ball, Mooney becomes that much more of a threat, following up on a really promising rookie season.
  5. Kmet takes a step to be a reliable target over the middle along with being a good blocker.
  6. Robinson is back doing what Robinson does.
  7. With Montgomery solidified as a workhorse, Cohen is integrated back into the offense in a way that reclaims some of that past glory.
  8. The offense takes steps to be around a league average unit with at least some capability to win games.
Paired with a top 5 defense, that type of team easily makes the playoffs and could even do some damage, basically being what we were in 2018 with perhaps more upside since Trubisky could never win games with his arm. We'd also be dangerous in the return game with Patterson/Cohen still.

If that happens, Pace and Nagy probably get extended while the underlying issues remain: pressed to the cap, aging defense, no long-term QB and so on. Is that ideal? Or would it be better to see a spectacular failure, assuring a change of GM/Coach and plenty of the personnel, leading to at least another year of bad play before we have some hope at seeing the team compete again in 2023?

You know what's sad? Most, if not all, of that list I can get on board with and at least be like "yeah I could see it"...You know a handful won't happen because, well, that's just how it goes. Not everything goes your way. But there's some reasonable takes.

The one I think is least likely? Robinson. He's gone man. That ship has sailed.

If you do step back, though, something truly unexpected is going to have to happen to save Nagy and/or Pace. One of them will have to go if we hit year 3 in a row of The Bullsh*t Bears.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just a hunch, you guys will end up with matt ryan

Nelly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what's sad? Most, if not all, of that list I can get on board with and at least be like "yeah I could see it"...You know a handful won't happen because, well, that's just how it goes. Not everything goes your way. But there's some reasonable takes.

The one I think is least likely? Robinson. He's gone man. That ship has sailed.

If you do step back, though, something truly unexpected is going to have to happen to save Nagy and/or Pace. One of them will have to go if we hit year 3 in a row of The Bullsh*t Bears.
Yea, nothing I listed is out of the realm of possibility. Thing is, you'd need basically all of them to come true and have really good team health in order to have a team that could actually maybe do some damage in the playoffs.

I saw something that said the Bears would be willing to tag Robinson. If they're trying to get this roster one last run then it makes sense.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, nothing I listed is out of the realm of possibility. Thing is, you'd need basically all of them to come true and have really good team health in order to have a team that could actually maybe do some damage in the playoffs.

I saw something that said the Bears would be willing to tag Robinson. If they're trying to get this roster one last run then it makes sense.

He's gonna hold out if we tag...

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya know...It's highly likely that we're going to have the worst QB in the north again next year...and that makes me sad...Would be nice if that wasn't the case once in a while...
Very sad considering Geoff is in the same division :pout: