• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers Spring Training 2020

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you don't wait for the prospects to develop and then make moves.

Actually, that's exactly what good franchises have historically done. They wait til they have a core that can contend before adding the missing pieces in free agency.

Shitty teams playing at the top of the free agent market has pretty much never worked.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so he was like 4X better? Lol
He also had a +4 rating in 2018
Not sure why someone wouldn’t want to add Starling Marte who’s only owed 11 mil a year for 2 years.
I would have been totally ok with
Either
Bubba Thompson/Davis Wendzel
& Either
Brock Burke/Ryan Garcia
Going to the pirates for Starling Marte
That’s about what the D-Backs gave up
Shoot I would even throw in a 3rd player like Julio Pablo Martinez or Chris Siese

DDjr-CF-1.3 WAR
Guzman-1b. -.1 WAR
Total 1.2 WAR

2020-
Santana CF- 2.5 WAR
Guzman 1B- .5 WAR
3 total WAR

2020 w/ Marte
Marte-CF- 3 WAR
Santana-1B- 3 WAR
6 total WAR

when talking about the value of 2 positions I would always like to double my wins

Guzman May surprise us and put up 3.5 WAR? I dont know

Playing CF well takes time and reps, Santana hasn't had that luxury in years due to everyone wanting him to mediocre at a bunch of positions by being a utility player

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but JD and the owners were never seriously in on Rendon. It was all fluff to keep the fans thinking they were serious about improving the team

You have no way of knowing that, you can say they didn't go in serious enough and got dismissed but the rest is pure speculation on your part

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once they failed to get Rendon, I think they realized they had no shot to build a playoff team this year. JD said they had some win now moves on the backburner that no longer made sense after losing out on Rendon.

This team is projected to win 79.5 games. Signing Castellanos or trading for Marte doesn't really move the needle much. I personally think it would be stupid to spend $70 million on Nick Cast and still finish in fourth place.

We can/should be critical of what happened with Rendon if their entire plan was based around signing him. If you are to believe the Rangers reporters, they offered him 6 years at $32 million with a vesting 7th year. Boras never called the Rangers back to make a counter offer if you believe the reporting. Rendon signed for 7/$35. Was the Rangers initial offer such a lowball that Boras/Rendon were offended? I think it's fair to be critical of the Rendon negotiations.

But in general, spending a ton of money on a team that's projected to suck and try to spend your way to the playoffs does not work out well. Look how it worked out for the Phillies, Padres, and Mets last year. The Angels have been trying to do it for years.

I blame JD more for the position this team is in (only one good young talented player) than the lack of upgrades this winter. Their drafting and player development has been piss poor. They did admit to it and changed their entire drafting and player development strategy a year ago. They quit drafting athletes and moved towards more skilled guys.

I'm not convinced JD can still build a title worthy team. There are no more stupid front offices. The rest of the league has caught up and possibly passed him. But I feel like people are mad about the wrong thing.

The point of Castellanos was not this year but next year, he could be RH bat in LH heavy lineup and replace Choo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD pretty much publicly declared his man crush on Rendon. And he did not hide how disappointed he was after missing out on Rendon. I dunno how good of a GM he still is but he's always been honest and forthcoming.

We dont know exactly what happened there.

1. Was ownership not willing to go to $245 million?
2. Did JD offend Boras with his initial 6 year offer and completely misread his hand?
3. Did Rendon want to play with Mike Trout and live in Orange County?

Once that ship sailed, I think the offseason was pretty much a dud.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point of Castellanos was not this year but next year, he could be RH bat in LH heavy lineup and replace Choo
He's terrible in the field. Willie is terrible in the field. Solak is terrible in the field.

Would Castellanos make this team better? Yes. I agree with you. We need RHB.

Would he make it that much better that I would have given him $72 million? Hell no.

I'd rather save that DH spot for Willie or Solak and have an extra $70 million to bid on Mookie, Realmuto, Lindor, whoever in the future. You need 3-4 studs. Right now, we have maybe one. That's why they wanted Rendon. I just dont really see the point right now in spending money on MEH players that could hamstring you in the future.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, that's exactly what good franchises have historically done. They wait til they have a core that can contend before adding the missing pieces in free agency.

Shitty teams playing at the top of the free agent market has pretty much never worked.
Astros already had Correa, Altuve, Springer, Bregman before they spent on Verlander and Cole.
Nats already had Harper, Rendon, Strasburg, Soto, Turner before they spent on Scherzer and Corbin.
Cubs already had Bryant, Rizzo, Arrieta, Baez, Contreras before they spent on Lester, Heyward, Zobrist.
Royals had a home grown core of Cain, Moustakas, Hosmer, Gordon, Perez.

You need a core of 3-5 studs. Until the Rangers have that core, it's pretty much pointless. Everything they do should be with that goal in mind. That's why I am hoping Kluber, Lynn, and LeClerc go ape shit this year and are traded at the deadline.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing CF well takes time and reps, Santana hasn't had that luxury in years due to everyone wanting him to mediocre at a bunch of positions by being a utility player

It’s not like I hate Santana and love Marte
It just seems logical
Even Fangraphs has Santana with a projected wRC+ of like an 80
Danny Santana - Stats - Batting | FanGraphs Baseball
Marte with a wRC+ of like 109
Starling Marte - Stats - Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

I’m not being irrational for wishing the Rangers would have got Marte
It didn’t cost a ton..

how many of our starting 9 in the lineup would have a 109 wRC+?
Not many
Which is why the Rangers should have got Rendon and Marte
Those 2 guys could be the difference between a 92 win season and a 84 win season
Or better
Or worse of course
It’s never known

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once they failed to get Rendon, I think they realized they had no shot to build a playoff team this year. JD said they had some win now moves on the backburner that no longer made sense after losing out on Rendon.

This team is projected to win 79.5 games. Signing Castellanos or trading for Marte doesn't really move the needle much. I personally think it would be stupid to spend $70 million on Nick Cast and still finish in fourth place.

We can/should be critical of what happened with Rendon if their entire plan was based around signing him. If you are to believe the Rangers reporters, they offered him 6 years at $32 million with a vesting 7th year. Boras never called the Rangers back to make a counter offer if you believe the reporting. Rendon signed for 7/$35. Was the Rangers initial offer such a lowball that Boras/Rendon were offended? I think it's fair to be critical of the Rendon negotiations.

But in general, spending a ton of money on a team that's projected to suck and try to spend your way to the playoffs does not work out well. Look how it worked out for the Phillies, Padres, and Mets last year. The Angels have been trying to do it for years.

I blame JD more for the position this team is in (only one good young talented player) than the lack of upgrades this winter. Their drafting and player development has been piss poor. They did admit to it and changed their entire drafting and player development strategy a year ago. They quit drafting athletes and moved towards more skilled guys.

I'm not convinced JD can still build a title worthy team. There are no more stupid front offices. The rest of the league has caught up and possibly passed him. But I feel like people are mad about the wrong thing.

Can not disagree with much of this. Our farm minus Gallo has not produced the high caliber core needed. Maybe some of the younger guys may develop and do have hope but they surely are not there at the upper levels knocking at the MLB door currently.

The hope is we can move some of our real good to get a great guy we can keep like Arenado. We may have to move some our pitching at the break. Still hoping young guys get better.
Pipedream??

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have no way of knowing that, you can say they didn't go in serious enough and got dismissed but the rest is pure speculation on your part
That has been said by a number of people and I have just ignored it. How can you be the supposed 2nd best bidder and many act like he didn't step up to the plate. They offered 6 years and yes I know he wanted 7 with good money in a state with no state income tax and he or the ownership just may not have felt comfortable going more. Would I have liked for them to have gone 7? Most definitely. Was I upset? Very. But I am not going to act like they didn't offer something decent.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They went in knowing what Rendon wanted and what other teams were willing to offer and they stuck to their low-ball offer. They were never serious

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They went in knowing what Rendon wanted and what other teams were willing to offer and they stuck to their low-ball offer. They were never serious
You will never know for sure since Boras never countered. Looks like Rendon did not want to play in Texas.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the biggest scandals in baseball history is currently unfolding - involving the Rangers' bitter rival - and all this board can do is piss and moan about who has the best guess as to how the Rendon contract offer played out.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the biggest scandals in baseball history is currently unfolding - involving the Rangers' bitter rival - and all this board can do is piss and moan about who has the best guess as to how the Rendon contract offer played out.
Commented on the same thing earlier. Seems a little late to worry about that now. lol

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Astros already had Correa, Altuve, Springer, Bregman before they spent on Verlander and Cole.
Nats already had Harper, Rendon, Strasburg, Soto, Turner before they spent on Scherzer and Corbin.
Cubs already had Bryant, Rizzo, Arrieta, Baez, Contreras before they spent on Lester, Heyward, Zobrist.
Royals had a home grown core of Cain, Moustakas, Hosmer, Gordon, Perez.

You need a core of 3-5 studs. Until the Rangers have that core, it's pretty much pointless. Everything they do should be with that goal in mind. That's why I am hoping Kluber, Lynn, and LeClerc go ape shit this year and are traded at the deadline.

that’s what makes our 2nd base and 3rd base situation so infuriating. It seems we will never have a stud at either position.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what I am talking about.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you’re just willfully ignoring the dozens and dozens of posts on this board about the Astros scandal? There are whole pages with nothing BUT posts about the Astros scandal.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I am talking about.
Maybe it’s an overstatement to say they weren’t serious. But if you REALLY want a player like the Rangers supposedly wanted Rendon, you don’t mess around with middling offers, especially if that guy is the top-ranked free agent on the market. You negotiate and play hardball with guys like Castellanos... guys you want but can afford to miss out on. But Rendon and his camp stated before the offseason even started that he wanted 7 years. He even said so when he refused the 6 year offer the Nats made to keep him. So 7 years should have been the STARTING point and baseline for any offer. Period. Again, he was the #1 ranked free agent hitter. There was stated interest in him by multiple teams before the offseason even began. Every GM should have known from the jump that at least one team would give him the years and dollars he wanted.

Whether he’s worth the years and money is a different argument. If JD and the Rangers truly wanted Rendon badly and valued him as a future cornerstone of the franchise, as has been reported, then they should have started off with a dominant offer and made it extremely difficult for Rendon to choose another team. Say what you want about Arte Moreno and the stupid contracts he has given out over the years. At least he makes SURE he gets the guy he wants when he really wants someone. His mistake has been chasing the wrong guys.

Again, whether or not Rendon turns out to be a bad signing for the Angels or worth his contract remains to be seen. Maybe we’ll all look back on it one day and be thankful the Rangers missed out. But you HAVE to be willing to take some financial risks on certain players if you want to win in baseball. And by risks, I mean offering deals past your comfort point... deals where you are the highest bidder and ones which will make some people even question whether you paid too much. And it seems like the Fielder and Choo risks have now prevented ownership from taking any more high dollar risks in the future.

And that’s why people are saying things like the Rangers aren’t serious about improving... because they have not signed one single high-dollar player in seemingly forever. They’ve been conducting business like the A’s and Rays when they have enough money to be operating as a hybrid of a small market/big market team. When you are the 4th largest media market in the country with a brand new billion dollar stadium and a lucrative tv deal, and all you do is sign bargain bin free agents and trade for guys with mixed results, then fans will be questioning how serious you are about winning.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it’s an overstatement to say they weren’t serious. But if you REALLY want a player like the Rangers supposedly wanted Rendon, you don’t mess around with middling offers, especially if that guy is the top-ranked free agent on the market. You negotiate and play hardball with guys like Castellanos... guys you want but can afford to miss out on. But Rendon and his camp stated before the offseason even started that he wanted 7 years. He even said so when he refused the 6 year offer the Nats made to keep him. So 7 years should have been the STARTING point and baseline for any offer. Period. Again, he was the #1 ranked free agent hitter. There was stated interest in him by multiple teams before the offseason even began. Every GM should have known from the jump that at least one team would give him the years and dollars he wanted.

Whether he’s worth the years and money is a different argument. If JD and the Rangers truly wanted Rendon badly and valued him as a future cornerstone of the franchise, as has been reported, then they should have started off with a dominant offer and made it extremely difficult for Rendon to choose another team. Say what you want about Arte Moreno and the stupid contracts he has given out over the years. At least he makes SURE he gets the guy he wants when he really wants someone. His mistake has been chasing the wrong guys.

Again, whether or not Rendon turns out to be a bad signing for the Angels or worth his contract remains to be seen. Maybe we’ll all look back on it one day and be thankful the Rangers missed out. But you HAVE to be willing to take some financial risks on certain players if you want to win in baseball. And by risks, I mean offering deals past your comfort point... deals where you are the highest bidder and ones which will make some people even question whether you paid too much. And it seems like the Fielder and Choo risks have now prevented ownership from taking any more high dollar risks in the future.

And that’s why people are saying things like the Rangers aren’t serious about improving... because they have not signed one single high-dollar player in seemingly forever. They’ve been conducting business like the A’s and Rays when they have enough money to be operating as a hybrid of a small market/big market team. When you are the 4th largest media market in the country with a brand new billion dollar stadium and a lucrative tv deal, and all you do is sign bargain bin free agents and trade for guys with mixed results, then fans will be questioning how serious you are about winning.

they’ve already punted on this year.

to be honest, I was appalled that they made no effort to upgrade the infield. It’s by far the weakest part of our team.

I was hoping they’d at least bring in some guys who could be backup plans but I guess they “ don’t want to pressure anyone”.

we can’t keep giving guys 5 star treatment when they play like minor leaguers. It just makes us the joke of the league.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still your opinion, do i think they approached it foolishly yes, not serious no