• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any guesses - regarding the new park - and how the ball will travel?......That's not phrased very well, but I hope someone will be able to interpert............I haven't studied the dimensions, but since - I'm speculating - that 70% of our home games will be played indoors, shouldn't all of this factor into who we're considering for OF positions?

• Willie is probably never going to win any GG. But can't he be adequate in LF? His bat seems to be worth the risk of D to me.......He lost some weight, and honestly seemed to be willing to put his best efforts in.
  • Gallo is a given in RF to me. He's got all of what it takes to be a better - maybe MUCH better - than average RF, and his bat needs no edification from me.....I was semi-surpirsed at the progress he showed last year. And VERY encouraged.
  • CF...........Marte, would be so wonderful!

I think Santana has earned the right to play somewhere everyday. If they’re too stubborn to bench odor and Guzman, then I wouldn’t be opposed to him playing most of the games in centerfield.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Santana has earned the right to play somewhere everyday. If they’re too stubborn to bench odor and Guzman, then I wouldn’t be opposed to him playing most of the games in centerfield.

I agree with ya.......He seems to have all the positives you'd look for in a CFer.......Plus, his bat and demeanor seems to fit an everyday positional player.......But I must admit I really like Marte.

The cost of Marte, plus why not try to improve 'internally' as someone suggested. Putting Santana in CF seems to be the most logical/easiest decision to be made in this off-season to me.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santana would be a piece of garbage at 1B. Get off of that track. I can understand Odor but if we feel Guzman will not be the 1B of the future which still needs some evaluating we need to have an option of a person who can field a ground ball and scoop a throw out of the dirt.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If someone told you if you said or used the name ODOR over the next 48 hours you'd go blind, would you?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santana would be a piece of garbage at 1B. Get off of that track. I can understand Odor but if we feel Guzman will not be the 1B of the future which still needs some evaluating we need to have an option of a person who can field a ground ball and scoop a throw out of the dirt.

If memory serves, doesn't Guzman have options left?.......I'm all for letting him progress - or not - at AAA, if this is still available........He's magic at 1st with the glove, but he can't hit his weight against lefties, so him being an everyday player just doesn't work.......It's that simple.

You can't have a roster of platoon players......Insert Choo here.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won’t mention him or his namesake until December. Deal?

Now you do know it's the 22nd of Nov right?............We're talking about - AGREEING - to a 8 day Hiatus!! Are you sure you can do this; cold turkey and all? ha ha ha

I've heard/read that giving up cigerates is harder to kick than heroin, and to me, Odor is your nicotine.

I wish you well, and this site will be better for it......Thank you

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you do know it's the 22nd of Nov right?............We're talking about - AGREEING - to a 8 day Hiatus!! Are you sure you can do this; cold turkey and all? ha ha ha

I've heard/read that giving up cigerates is harder to kick than heroin, and to me, Odor is your nicotine.

I wish you well, and this site will be better for it......Thank you

we shall see. Be on the lookout I guess.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign Rendon as the big fish, go the extra 4th year to get Ryu, trade 2 of the 4 prospects mentioned to get Marte, and sign d’Arnaud to platoon with Trevino, and that’s an A+ offseason in my book. Could use a reliever as well (Pomeranz?), but can’t get too greedy/wishful.

Just no Josh Donaldson. Anyone but Josh Donaldson. I refuse to cheer for that human piece of garbage.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Meanwhile, also in Texas, an offseason event allowed Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News to speak with several Rangers players, including Taylor Hearn and Nomar Mazara (Twitter links). Hearn, who just wrapped an injury-wrecked 2019 that included an inflamed UCL and a fracture underneath his elbow, told Grant that he threw four bullpens in October, followed by a few weeks of rest. Hearn has resumed his throwing program and should be ready to prep for 2020. The 25-year-old lefty appeared in just four minor league games this season, also making his MLB debut in an April 25 start that lasted one-third of an inning. As for Mazara, club officials apparently told the 24-year-old during his 2019 exit interview that he should prepare to play some first base next season. Mazara told Grant that he is prepared to do some work at first, but he is still expected to be used primarily as an outfielder moving forward. Mazara has generally graded out as a slightly below-average defensive option on the grass, recording -2.7 UZR and -4 DRS figures in right field last season. The Rangers have been connected to outfielder Marcell Ozuna this winter, while trade rumors connected Mazara’s name to several teams in advance of this past season’s July 31 trade deadline.
Quick Hits: Astros Investigation, Minor Leagues, Manfred, Rangers

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If memory serves, doesn't Guzman have options left?.......I'm all for letting him progress - or not - at AAA, if this is still available........He's magic at 1st with the glove, but he can't hit his weight against lefties, so him being an everyday player just doesn't work.......It's that simple.

You can't have a roster of platoon players......Insert Choo here.
Guzman has been doing very well in the minors for a few years now so I am not sure spending more time in the minors changes much of anything. The only reason I do not have a problem with him getting more MLB bats for at least 1 more year is as it stands for now we are not going anywhere and I would not platoon him if that is the case. If we have a viable alternative then fine. But Santana is not that alternative. He was terrible out there last year at 1b.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign Rendon as the big fish, go the extra 4th year to get Ryu, trade 2 of the 4 prospects mentioned to get Marte, and sign d’Arnaud to platoon with Trevino, and that’s an A+ offseason in my book. Could use a reliever as well (Pomeranz?), but can’t get too greedy/wishful.

Just no Josh Donaldson. Anyone but Josh Donaldson. I refuse to cheer for that human piece of garbage.
Agree.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guzman has been doing very well in the minors for a few years now so I am not sure spending more time in the minors changes much of anything. The only reason I do not have a problem with him getting more MLB bats for at least 1 more year is as it stands for now we are not going anywhere and I would not platoon him if that is the case. If we have a viable alternative then fine. But Santana is not that alternative. He was terrible out there last year at 1b.

cant wait forever tho. He didn’t even come remotely close to resembling a major league bat last year. If you factor in that he plays first base, his bat needs to make a huge jump next year. Teams usually put someone who can really hit at first base. We haven’t had that type of bad ass hitter over there since Mark teixera. Way too long.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In addition, we can’t keep using the “ we aren’t going anywhere and he’s not blocking anybody” excuse for underperforming players. That is loser talk. It’s like ramming your head into a wall a million times and hoping your cranium breaks thru the wall on the 1,000,001st try.

if that really is the case, then whoever is responsible for stocking our very shallow minor league system is doing a sucky ass job.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that’s nice and all but ranger fans are waiting for that one bit of positive news Then we can exhale a little bit. Seems like we haven’t had great offseason news in 3 years.
We haven't had great offseason news in a few years, but we have always had the kind of offseason JD has told us we would have. I take him at his word. I just hope he spends wisely.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing else for him to prove in the minors.

I am not sure if Santana could ever ay a decent 1B or a decent 3B, but like with Guzman"s bat, his defense at those positions should not be judged prematurely. He would need a lot more time at either position to prove if he could hack it there or not.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cant wait forever tho. He didn’t even come remotely close to resembling a major league bat last year. If you factor in that he plays first base, his bat needs to make a huge jump next year. Teams usually put someone who can really hit at first base. We haven’t had that type of bad ass hitter over there since Mark teixera. Way too long.
Maybe we should have been satisfied with Mitch. Lol

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition, we can’t keep using the “ we aren’t going anywhere and he’s not blocking anybody” excuse for underperforming players. That is loser talk. It’s like ramming your head into a wall a million times and hoping your cranium breaks thru the wall on the 1,000,001st try.

if that really is the case, then whoever is responsible for stocking our very shallow minor league system is doing a sucky ass job.
They did do a really bad job for awhile. It takes a few years to recover from that. Maybe we are on the recovery road now.

They stocked it via trade very well with Solak. Now, let's see if they get the elephant gun out and allow Solak to shine in a starting role. It does no good to have good prospects if we are not going to utilize them properly.