• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you've probably explained this before but why so much hate toward Donaldson?
He only helps us when we have nowhere to go which is not the best use of resources. The only good thing it would do is force management to show they favor Odor over Solak.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you've probably explained this before but why so much hate toward Donaldson?
You mean other than the fact that his roid rage has started more brawls than any other player in Major League Baseball over the last 10 years? That’s actually a fact and not just a guess, by the way.

You mean other than all of the crap he started with the Rangers when he was with both the A’s and the Blue Jays?

You mean other than the cheap shots he tried to pull during the Bautista-Odor fight?

You mean other than the fact that he constantly runs his mouth and is HATED league-wide?

You mean other than the fact that he owes all of his success to steroids?

You mean other than the fact that multiple people who have met the guy have all agreed that he doesn’t just portray white trash on tv, he actually IS that trashy in real life?

You mean other than the fact that he brings a lot of negative energy to the clubhouse? Evan Grant’s recent article even highlighted the stark contrast in Rendon and Donaldson, with Rendon being a source of positivity and good vibes for his team and Donaldson being the polar opposite?

The only player in all of baseball (non-criminal category) who is a worse human being than Josh Donaldson is Jose Bautista.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean other than the fact that his roid rage has started more brawls than any other player in Major League Baseball over the last 10 years? That’s actually a fact and not just a guess, by the way.

You mean other than all of the crap he started with the Rangers when he was with both the A’s and the Blue Jays?

You mean other than the cheap shots he tried to pull during the Bautista-Odor fight?

You mean other than the fact that he constantly runs his mouth and is HATED league-wide?

You mean other than the fact that multiple people who have met the guy have all agreed that he doesn’t just portray white trash on tv, he actually IS that trashy in real life?

You mean other than the fact that he brings a lot of negative energy to the clubhouse? Evan Grant’s recent article even highlighted the stark contrast in Rendon and Donaldson, with Rendon being a source of positivity and good vibes for his team and Donaldson being the polar opposite?

The only player in all of baseball (non-criminal category) who is a worse human being than Josh Donaldson is Jose Bautista.

Well yeah....other than that...

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He only helps us when we have nowhere to go which is not the best use of resources. The only good thing it would do is force management to show they favor Odor over Solak.
So signing him blocks Solak if we don't get rid of Odor. But don't Rendon and Moustakas block him too if we sign one of them? My feeling is that only real solution is get rid of Odor so that Nick can play at his natural position. That is the best use of resources

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Okay thanks

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So signing him blocks Solak if we don't get rid of Odor. But don't Rendon and Moustakas block him too if we sign one of them? My feeling is that only real solution is get rid of Odor so that Nick can play at his natural position. That is the best use of resources
Nothing blocks Solak but JD.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing blocks Solak but JD.
no argument on that. JD should be working day and night to find a way, any way, to unload Choo and Odor even if it means eating half their contract. offer Choo and $11M and see who comes forward. I know he has a no-trade clause but if the right team ask I bet he would make the move with bells on.

offer Odor and 15M (3m for 2020 and 6M a year for 2021 and 2022) + a couple of horses and see if a team comes forward and grabs him. I can think of a couple of teams that could be interested

the return from those teams doesn't matter because the return would be Solak at 2B and Santana in the batting order.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no argument on that. JD should be working day and night to find a way, any way, to unload Choo and Odor even if it means eating half their contract. offer Choo and $11M and see who comes forward. I know he has a no-trade clause but if the right team ask I bet he would make the move with bells on.

offer Odor and 15M (3m for 2020 and 6M a year for 2021 and 2022) + a couple of horses and see if a team comes forward and grabs him. I can think of a couple of teams that could be interested

the return from those teams doesn't matter because the return would be Solak at 2B and Santana in the batting order.

Sometime I think JD is a bigger problem than we think.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometime I think JD is a bigger problem than we think.
I think JD has done a lot of good things for the club during his tenure, and he deserves a lot of the accolades he’s received. And there are certainly people who bash the guy way too much. But...

There are also some people who are seemingly unwilling to admit or realize that JD has definitely hurt the club with some of his decisions, and he certainly deserves some of the heat he gets as well.

He’s too 50/50, as far as I’m concerned. And by that, I mean for every good decision he makes, he turns right around and makes a bad one. Bad GM’s “lose” to n deals/trades/acquisitions more often than they win. So I wouldn’t say he’s one of those at all. But I actually saw where someone took the time to create a Good/Bad ledger of every move JD has made since taking over as GM, and the numbers on each side were almost identical. And that’s not what you want ideally in a great GM. You want the “wins” to outnumber the “mistakes” by a solid amount.

For every Hamilton, Beltre, or Napoli stroke of genius JD has had, he turns right around and kills us with a Garza, Dempster, Fielder, or Odor contract disaster.

And as Scotsman correctly points out below, JD seems very unwilling to admit to his mistakes and pull the plug in situations which continue to harm the team (Odor is a prime example). The know we don’t have the money to just write off our mistakes, but I wish we could do what the Yankees just did with Ellsbury and buy our way out of bad contracts.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think JD has done a lot of good things for the club during his tenure, and he deserves a lot of the accolades he’s received. And there are certainly people who bash the guy way too much. But...

There are also some people who are seemingly unwilling to admit or realize that JD has definitely hurt the club with some of his decisions, and he certainly deserves some of the heat he gets as well.

He’s too 50/50, as far as I’m concerned. And by that, I mean for every good decision he makes, he turns right around and makes a bad one. Bad GM’s “lose” to n deals/trades/acquisitions more often than they win. So I wouldn’t say he’s one of those at all. But I actually saw where someone took the time to create a Good/Bad ledger of every move JD has made since taking over as GM, and the numbers on each side were almost identical. And that’s not what you want ideally in a great GM. You want the “wins” to outnumber the “mistakes” by a solid amount.

For every Hamilton, Beltre, or Napoli stroke of genius JD has had, he turns right around and kills us with a Garza, Dempster, Fielder, or Odor contract disaster.

And as Scotsman correctly points out below, JD seems very unwilling to admit to his mistakes and pull the plug in situations which continue to harm the team (Odor is a prime example). The know we don’t have the money to just write off our mistakes, but I wish we could do what the Yankees just did with Ellsbury and buy our way out of bad contracts.

Well stated Will. Yes JD has certainly made some great moves but one bad apple in the bag can take away from some of the good. That said, he can not always do what he wants much less what we want. Too many unknowns may erase good moves and ideas we have no knowledge of so to be fair give him credit for the positives and try and understand better the things we don't know. Let us not forget he has superiors he has to appease. On the positive side, some of our problems may be resolved before season starts.

With that.........Happy Thanksgiving and the very best to all you turkeys.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with this 100%. What drives me up the wall is how JD stubbornly continues to play the mistakes and cost deserving players valuable playing time. I don’t get why we can’t at least bench people who are underperforming, regardless of contract status. It just kinda makes us the laughing stock of the league.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isn't blocked by a third baseman because that isn't his position.

I meant if they signed Donaldson it would keep them from being able to use Solak out of position. As it stands now, they are going to look like buffoons if Odor starts the season as a starter and Solak does not. They can hide looking like buffoons by starting Solak at 3B, but it will be on full display if they do sign a 3B.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see new ownership come in with deeper pockets, and hire another GM. Until the first one happens, I am not sure the second one should happen. I don't really trust present ownership to hire the right GM.

We need ownership that realizes year to year losses are okay because it is a long term investment.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see new ownership come in with deeper pockets, and hire another GM. Until the first one happens, I am not sure the second one should happen. I don't really trust present ownership to hire the right GM.

We need ownership that realizes year to year losses are okay because it is a long term investment.

the current ownership group seems like they suck.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1