• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minor certainly has the highest potential return from our SP's. If we are REALLY in a build for next year mode then we could package Minor and LeClerc for a pretty good haul if we can get two of the CWS/MIN/LAA bidding against each other. You know LAA is going to want to get into a winning mode this year after that big contract.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of them have ML experience and it wasn't exactly good, they have things to work on in AAA and then they can give it another shot when their time comes

Injury and/or ineffectiveness is highly possible based on the guys we have
True, and they will most kikely have some more poor ML experience when they do pitch up here again, whether that be in April, July, or the following April. I think even guys who do very well in AAA for two full seasons, would still have a lot of adjusting to doing in their first 150-200 innings of big league work.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minor certainly has the highest potential return from our SP's. If we are REALLY in a build for next year mode then we could package Minor and LeClerc for a pretty good haul if we can get two of the CWS/MIN/LAA bidding against each other. You know LAA is going to want to get into a winning mode this year after that big contract.
Agree. If they make us a great offer we should accept it. We aren't going anywhere in 2020 with or without Minor.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. If they make us a great offer we should accept it. We aren't going anywhere in 2020 with or without Minor.

great offers should generally be accepted. Not thinking we should be hot to trot Minor out the door

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great offers should generally be accepted. Not thinking we should be hot to trot Minor out the door
Prior to the 2011 season I would not have accepted a great offer of prospects for any of our major contributors. Timing makes a big difference even with great offers.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we are in a build. That is the point that everyone seems to keep missing. I think the Rangers management likes the starting rotation they have put together now it is about adding other MLB ready pieces in the BP and specific positions. Not any future minor league prospects. Hey, I agree that if we can get a great value in return for Minor do it but I don't think we can and I don't think the Rangers management wants to do that.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prior to the 2011 season I would not have accepted a great offer of prospects for any of our major contributors. Timing makes a big difference even with great offers.
Why would we build a decent rotation before ST and then trade one of the pieces before we even make camp?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would we build a decent rotation before ST and then trade one of the pieces before we even make camp?
Agree and Wasting touched on that a little. We are about three positions and a power bat from making a big splash. I would think we could easily improve over last year. How much who knows but it's a start and go from there. Remember the Astros Nat's and other 2019 top teams have problems to solve also. LAA has the best player in MLB and they did not come close to winning. They added a huge piece this year but probably won't come close to a WS. We are headed in the right direction but also know it could have been better.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won't, because we are chasing Fool's Gold. Management is blind to reality. What we should do and what we will do are two completely different things.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won't, because we are chasing Fool's Gold. Management is blind to reality. What we should do and what we will do are two completely different things.

There's also the perspective that what we should do and what you think we should do are 2 different things sometimes

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Personally, I'll see what they end up doing in regards to 3B before making generalizations about the next season

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably Minor unless we extend. Purely spitballing
Somehow this mini thread led to the infamous chase again for fools gold.. oh my

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the main issue I see is that I don’t think LAA has the prospect quality to acquire both minor and leclerc.

the White Sox have a young team. All of their great prospects might already be at the major league level.

I think the Yankees and dodgers have the kind of prospects we would need.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in your eyes what should we do? Should we sign 2 FA's and trade for a possible #1 and then take 2 steps backwards by trading away an important cog like Minoe? Or should we recognize these moves as possible opening gambits to the team's movement toward competitive play in a year or 2 down the road? I doubt anyone on the team or on this board is expecting this 2020 team to be instantly catapulted in to AL West championship or WC status just better than 2019.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also the perspective that what we should do and what you think we should do are 2 different things sometimes
That is always obvious.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in your eyes what should we do? Should we sign 2 FA's and trade for a possible #1 and then take 2 steps backwards by trading away an important cog like Minoe? Or should we recognize these moves as possible opening gambits to the team's movement toward competitive play in a year or 2 down the road? I doubt anyone on the team or on this board is expecting this 2020 team to be instantly catapulted in to AL West championship or WC status just better than 2019.
That would be a very extended post. Anyone who daily reads the posts here knows how I think things should be done. It isn't any secret.

What I think will happen, is we will continue to go back and forth between a team that will win in the low 90s if everything goes right, to a team that will struggle to win 75 games. It is a course that will never lead to a championship. That kind of fluctuating back and forth between good(but never great) to bad will continue until we have new ownership and a better GM.

Some of you guys can look down on the idea, but I will always be glad to sacrifice current mediocrity(recordwise) to help bring a championship in the future. Using Minor for an example, if some team is desperate enough to give you players that will help win a championship in 2 to 4 years for Minor then I am all for it. I know that will never happen though. If an organization doesn't see the necessity of offering Rendon 7 years at market value then why would they be expected to do other things correctly. If a team cannot see that Odor will always be a huge failure for 3 to 4 months every season and not replace him with one of two players who seem to be able to be upgrades, then how can they be expected to do other things correctly.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow this mini thread led to the infamous chase again for fools gold.. oh my
It is a part of management's DNA, so it keeps popping its ugly head up over and over again. I just call them like I see them, kind of like some of our favorite umpires. Lol. Although some may say like Angel Hernandez or Joe West. I would hope more like Ron Luciano.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perception vs reality... once we were thoroughly disappointed not getting Rendon, Yet our perception was the Rangers lowballed him but others stated that they were never let back in on the table. Is that perception or reality? Which is which?