• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Further perception was the Rangers were done with top quality powered moves after Rendon mishap yet reality is we got Kluber and we are not done.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally ones reality may be we trade off all above average players for potential elite prospects which we bring up all at once to make a mad dance to a WS crescendo. Others reality is we get incrementally better year after year giving us multiple shots although we are not clear cut favorites

Ones perception or reality?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a part of management's DNA, so it keeps popping its ugly head up over and over again. I just call them like I see them, kind of like some of our favorite umpires. Lol. Although some may say like Angel Hernandez or Joe West. I would hope more like Ron Luciano.

Ha the DNA makeup is a two way street... yet questions still remain... what to do about Solak and what happens at 3B?

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perception vs reality... once we were thoroughly disappointed not getting Rendon, Yet our perception was the Rangers lowballed him but others stated that they were never let back in on the table. Is that perception or reality? Which is which?
They short-armed their offer. It was going to take 7 years at market value and everyone knew that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally ones reality may be we trade off all above average players for potential elite prospects which we bring up all at once to make a mad dance to a WS crescendo. Others reality is we get incrementally better year after year giving us multiple shots although we are not clear cut favorites

Getting better incrementally is important and a good thing in that it brings a chance at a WS championship. If what makes you better in 2020 will not be a part of that future chance, then there is no need for it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Further perception was the Rangers were done with top quality powered moves after Rendon mishap yet reality is we got Kluber and we are not done.
Acquiring Kluber is a big step down from acquiring Rendon. A huge step down.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Acquiring Kluber is a big step down from acquiring Rendon. A huge step down.
Time will tell. If we get the Kluber prior to the injury then I would disagree. Otherwise, yes. But I do like that we have tried to address our pitching to some degree. That remains to be seen as well.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Problem with that tactic is the Rangers seem to have major problems properly developing their prospects.

I wonder what the percentage of players recruited/drafted that actually make it to the Majors for more than a "cup of coffee", my guess is it's not really that high...

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with that tactic is the Rangers seem to have major problems properly developing their prospects.

I wonder what the percentage of players recruited/drafted that actually make it to the Majors for more than a "cup of coffee", my guess is it's not really that high...
I guess everyone is entitled to a guess

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree and Wasting touched on that a little. We are about three positions and a power bat from making a big splash. I would think we could easily improve over last year. How much who knows but it's a start and go from there. Remember the Astros Nat's and other 2019 top teams have problems to solve also. LAA has the best player in MLB and they did not come close to winning. They added a huge piece this year but probably won't come close to a WS. We are headed in the right direction but also know it could have been better.

My only problem is that two of those few positions we need are power infield bats and the key defensive player in CF. If we were short a power corner OF then I'm not too worried. But we need two power corner-IF bats and I don't see how you solve that with what is remaining this year on the market. Your only option is a trade at this point. And a trade would work really well for us if we can target someone with 2-3 years of contract or arb left because that is how far away our youngsters in the minors are from filling the 3B and C role.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I'll see what they end up doing in regards to 3B before making generalizations about the next season
Is there really much guess what they are going to do about 3B?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perception vs reality... once we were thoroughly disappointed not getting Rendon, Yet our perception was the Rangers lowballed him but others stated that they were never let back in on the table. Is that perception or reality? Which is which?
We did lowball him, you said so yourself. We went in with a lowball offer that was worse than everyone had already stated (everyone knew he already had a 7 year offer on the table) and expected to be able to use that lowball as a starting point. If I were his agent I wouldn't have felt the need to allow Texas a second chance to waste my time either.

Bottom line, we did lowball both years and dollars. Why even bother dealing with that team? Texas hopefully learned a valuable lesson, and that is if you REALLY want something then you do what it takes to get it. You don't try to get cute.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another reality is that those pieces everyone is talking about that we can build with are in their mid-30's and two of them aren't under contract after this season. If they really are long term building blocks, why are we not extending them this offseason?

My perception is we aren't extending them because they aren't part of our future building plans. They are a stop gap to get us through the year. If you can trade stop gap players for young and controllable future players, you do so. That's another reality.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time will tell. If we get the Kluber prior to the injury then I would disagree. Otherwise, yes. But I do like that we have tried to address our pitching to some degree. That remains to be seen as well.
The timeframes alone makes him a big step down. Our realistic window with Rendon would have opened with him still in his prime. Kluber isn't even under contract when that previously attainable window was to open.

Then there is the whole injury and age issues with Kluber that aren't there for Rendon.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another reality is that those pieces everyone is talking about that we can build with are in their mid-30's and two of them aren't under contract after this season. If they really are long term building blocks, why are we not extending them this offseason?

My perception is we aren't extending them because they aren't part of our future building plans. They are a stop gap to get us through the year. If you can trade stop gap players for young and controllable future players, you do so. That's another reality.
It is a stop gap approach. Apparently, there are many fans who are happy with stopgap management that has no longterm answers. The eye is not on the ultimate prize. The eye is on making enough fans happy with stopgap players that the team can still make a little money.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a stop gap approach. Apparently, there are many fans who are happy with stopgap management that has no longterm answers. The eye is not on the ultimate prize. The eye is on making enough fans happy with stopgap players that the team can still make a little money.

ownership wants just enough intriguing players to fill up the park every night. No more and no less.

these guys don’t care about winning. They’re misers like ebenezer Scrooge.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The timeframes alone makes him a big step down. Our realistic window with Rendon would have opened with him still in his prime. Kluber isn't even under contract when that previously attainable window was to open.

Then there is the whole injury and age issues with Kluber that aren't there for Rendon.
I thought that Verlander was about done when he was in the last year with the Tigers. So like I said time will tell. If Kluber is the Kluber before that freak injury then I am good with it. I would have loved to have Rendon but it didn't happen so I hope Kluber pitches like an Ace and our pitching staff as a whole is kicking butt. Because that is what it takes to win championships most of the time.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ownership wants just enough intriguing players to fill up the park every night. No more and no less.

I think if they truly understood what winning a championship would do for their bottom line, then they would be willing to do whatever it takes. They seem to be ignorant of that part.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sometimes perception is reality but that is your perception. And you may be right but I will wait and see what we have done once the off season dust settles.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that Verlander was about done when he was in the last year with the Tigers. So like I said time will tell. If Kluber is the Kluber before that freak injury then I am good with it. I would have loved to have Rendon but it didn't happen so I hope Kluber pitches like an Ace and our pitching staff as a whole is kicking butt. Because that is what it takes to win championships most of the time.
My initial point was made to address the question concerning if the Rangers were "done with top quality powered moves after Rendon mishap." To me the acquisition of Kluber does not fall into that category.

I also hope Kluber pitches like an ace. The downside of that is that means he gets out of here and signs a big contract somewhere else in a couple of years.