• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here's a thought: Yankees, after signing Cole, are looking to clear salary. what if we convinced Choo to accept a trade to them for J.A. Happ and Zack Britton plus we throw in $7M cash?
You said all day yesterday that Choo could not be traded. lol

You really meant you wanted Mazara gone. Now that he is gone all of a sudden Choo can be convinced.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Releasing Choo would've been the better option to me
If not, then at least exercise Mazara's option, and let him learn the hard way that he needs to improve.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Scott Lucas:

Steele Walker. Yes, that's his name. The Prosper native attended the University of Oklahoma and was selected in the 2nd round, 46th overall, in the 2018 draft. As such, he's only 14 months younger than Mazara. Walker fit somewhere in the lower half of Chicago's top ten prospects. He lacks a standout tool but does everything reasonably well. At absolute best, he'll become a starting center fielder with a decent bat. At worst, an up-and-down corner guy. Realistically, I think we're looking at a 4th outfielder with some upside. He spent most of 2019 at high-A Winston-Salem, batting .269/.346/.426 (a 118 OPS+ by my calculation) with ten homers and nine steals in 100 games. Walker was assigned to Frisco and will probably start there next April.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no I didn't miss the point you were making. I agree with your point
Don’t think I get the point It is used all the time to leverage more money IMO. I do think re Choo it is not been the hindrance. We have not heard one block of one trade. Common practice for FA contracts. Choo got a longer contract than we liked and the rest of the team did not deliver or if you like FO did not put a good supporting cast.
Yes in retrospect an overpay

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Scott Lucas:

Steele Walker. Yes, that's his name. The Prosper native attended the University of Oklahoma and was selected in the 2nd round, 46th overall, in the 2018 draft. As such, he's only 14 months younger than Mazara. Walker fit somewhere in the lower half of Chicago's top ten prospects. He lacks a standout tool but does everything reasonably well. At absolute best, he'll become a starting center fielder with a decent bat. At worst, an up-and-down corner guy. Realistically, I think we're looking at a 4th outfielder with some upside. He spent most of 2019 at high-A Winston-Salem, batting .269/.346/.426 (a 118 OPS+ by my calculation) with ten homers and nine steals in 100 games. Walker was assigned to Frisco and will probably start there next April.

So 14 months younger and in AA while Mazara already going into his 5th year in the majors, outstanding

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problems at all with shipping Mazara out of here.

Also don't want Madison "Red Ass" Bumgarner anywhere close to this team.

Maybe Madbum gives this team bit more edge. No matter I doubt we get him. I think he stays west coast

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Trade Clause......another of JD's mighty wonders
JD didn't give him the no trade clause. The CBA does. That is league-wide for guys who have been in the league 10 years and with the same club for 5 years.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD didn't give him the no trade clause. The CBA does. That is league-wide for guys who have been in the league 10 years and with the same club for 5 years.
It highlights how stupid it was for JD not to trade Choo by the 2018 trade deadline. That, along with not sending Odor down this year when they had the chance, are two very dumb moves on JD's part.

They should have traded Choo by then no matter what they got for him and no matter how much they had to pay.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD knew about it when he signed him. Result is the same but I did not know about the CBA.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD knew about it when he signed him. Result is the same but I did not know about the CBA.
He could have been traded without his consent just 17 months ago.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still do not think the no trade clause affected us not trading Choo. I think having to eat a lot of his salary was the sticking point. Eating salary required eating crow as well.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still do not think the no trade clause affected us not trading Choo. I think having to eat a lot of his salary was the sticking point. Eating salary required eating crow as well.
can't trade someone with one if they don't want it no matter how much money you offer. easy premise to understand

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said all day yesterday that Choo could not be traded. lol

You really meant you wanted Mazara gone. Now that he is gone all of a sudden Choo can be convinced.
no you accuse me of putting words in your mouth and here you are doing the same thing. Mazara was the only real option we had. there was no way we can force Choo to accept a trade. NONE. we can make all the suggestions about we want and nothing will come of them

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t think I get the point It is used all the time to leverage more money IMO. I do think re Choo it is not been the hindrance. We have not heard one block of one trade. Common practice for FA contracts. Choo got a longer contract than we liked and the rest of the team did not deliver or if you like FO did not put a good supporting cast.
Yes in retrospect an overpay
agree

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It highlights how stupid it was for JD not to trade Choo by the 2018 trade deadline. That, along with not sending Odor down this year when they had the chance, are two very dumb moves on JD's part.

They should have traded Choo by then no matter what they got for him and no matter how much they had to pay.

Rangers were trying to justify it by saying they didn’t want to harm the very positive long term relationship that they have established with odor.

odor really hates the minor leagues. When he “recovered” from his first injury of the season, he “rehabbed” for 2 games then came back up to the major leagues and didn’t make contact on any pitches for about 3 weeks.

has anyone else ever seen a team try so hard to prop up a bad player? Odor always was in the lineup against bad teams / bad pitchers, rangers often sat him to protect him against some pitchers, rangers would never sit him when he was hot, rangers would always “show confidence” in odor by putting him in a big part of the lineup even tho he was performing terribly.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers were trying to justify it by saying they didn’t want to harm the very positive long term relationship that they have established with odor.

odor really hates the minor leagues. When he “recovered” from his first injury of the season, he “rehabbed” for 2 games then came back up to the major leagues and didn’t make contact on any pitches for about 3 weeks.

has anyone else ever seen a team try so hard to prop up a bad player? Odor always was in the lineup against bad teams / bad pitchers, rangers often sat him to protect him against some pitchers, rangers would never sit him when he was hot, rangers would always “show confidence” in odor by putting him in a big part of the lineup even tho he was performing terribly.
nope haven't understood anything the Rangers have done with Odor including the contract. of all the options the rangers have had this off-season getting rid of Odor was at the top of most Rangers fans list. unfortunately finding another team that would take him is damn near impossible. almost as hard as convincing Choo to accept a trade