• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what i would think but everyone wants to cut bait now when it makes no sense, just because they had their mind made up already

If Mike Heineman was that good he wouldn't have had to wait till he was 25 to get his shot in the first place
Which level did Heineman take too long to complete?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far we have not seen any of the contending CF with all the needed qualities to become a starter. Time is certainly on our side so we should come out of this with the right guy. Question is,where will he be found?
In all probability none of these guys will be needed in CF when our younger CF prospects are ready. The key to evaluating them seems to be which of them can play a corner spot at some point. If one of them is going to be a starter for us long term then it will most likely be in a COF spot. They need to have a bat that supports them playing a COF spot. The next two years we need to fund that out.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all probability none of these guys will be needed in CF when our younger CF prospects are ready. The key to evaluating them seems to be which of them can play a corner spot at some point. If one of them is going to be a starter for us long term then it will most likely be in a COF spot. They need to have a bat that supports them playing a COF spot. The next two years we need to fund that out.
Plz explain why we should think our younger prospects will be any better than our current ones. Takes an abundance of talent to be a front line CF like Josh. Do we have prospects in the pipe that may even come close?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which level did Heineman take too long to complete?

After 4 years of college, he's pretty much capped out, he's got a little room for growth but not much more, that room for growth pretty much came in the minor leagues at ages 22-25, in which he made it to AAA and not the majors, he might move the needle some but nothing much

Same could be said for DDJ of course but he's at least had 2 well above average seasons at the ML level, Heineman hasn't

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 4 years of college, he's pretty much capped out, he's got a little room for growth but not much more, that room for growth pretty much came in the minor leagues at ages 22-25, in which he made it to AAA and not the majors, he might move the needle some but nothing much

Same could be said for DDJ of course but he's at least had 2 well above average seasons at the ML level, Heineman hasn't
So, are you opposed to them drafting a player after 4 years of college then?

If he can contribute up here, then using your logic we should never get the opportunity to find out. Even if he shows in his third full season in the minors that he has some skills in AAA that is just too bad because he shouldn't have been drafted when he was.

It seems in your thinking he never had a chance with us no matter how he performed.

Maybe you are right, but I don't see how that should automatically disqualify him.

I disagree that DeShields has had two well above average seasons. His career as a whole has been very underwhelming.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, are you opposed to them drafting a player after 4 years of college then?

If he can contribute up here, then using your logic we should never get the opportunity to find out. Even if he shows in his third full season in the minors that he has some skills in AAA that is just too bad because he shouldn't have been drafted when he was.

It seems in your thinking he never had a chance with us no matter how he performed.

Maybe you are right, but I don't see how that should automatically disqualify him.

I disagree that DeShields has had two well above average seasons. His career as a whole has been very underwhelming.

This is simply a DDJ vs/ Heineman thing, I didn't say he doesn't deserve a chance, I said I don't see why he gets a chance at the expense of DDJ, who has at least shown the ability to have a well above average season in CF

I get the youth movement thing, but here it doesn't apply, Heineman is a whole 4 months younger than DDJ, this is making a change to make a change, and its not like Heineman is even a CFer

If the improvement was obvious I'm all for it, but I just don't see it being that obvious, let them battle it out in ST and go from there, but to say we should non-tender DDJ with no viable option is beyond absurd

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is simply a DDJ vs/ Heineman thing, I didn't say he doesn't deserve a chance, I said I don't see why he gets a chance at the expense of DDJ, who has at least shown the ability to have a well above average season in CF

I get the youth movement thing, but here it doesn't apply, Heineman is a whole 4 months younger than DDJ, this is making a change to make a change, and its not like Heineman is even a CFer

If the improvement was obvious I'm all for it, but I just don't see it being that obvious, let them battle it out in ST and go from there, but to say we should non-tender DDJ with no viable option is beyond absurd
I wasn't even considering a non-tender.

I was simply looking at it as a Heineman vs. DeShields question too. I have just decided that we have had enough of looking at DeShields as a starter and it is time to give Heineman a shot since he performed well at AAA last year.

If either of them is playing in CF to start 2021 then some things have gone very wrong in the organization I would think.

I think the Rangers will go with DeShields in CF no matter what happens in ST barring some kind of personal issue.

You mentioned if the improvement was obvious then you would be for it, but I think that is impossible without either Heineman getting a chance or if we go by what they did in the minors. That is why I brought up their minor league numbers. If those numbers are going to be set aside, then there is really no chance for an improvement to be obvious. To me, the potential improvement is derived by comparing the players they have been at the levels they have both played at.

It is an interesting discussion and helps us get through the offseason.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So the Braves have added McCann and Josh D. Guess Morris likes this pitcher
So much for the thought of collusion if Donaldson can get that much.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't even considering a non-tender.

I was simply looking at it as a Heineman vs. DeShields question too. I have just decided that we have had enough of looking at DeShields as a starter and it is time to give Heineman a shot since he performed well at AAA last year.

If either of them is playing in CF to start 2021 then some things have gone very wrong in the organization I would think.

I think the Rangers will go with DeShields in CF no matter what happens in ST barring some kind of personal issue.

You mentioned if the improvement was obvious then you would be for it, but I think that is impossible without either Heineman getting a chance or if we go by what they did in the minors. That is why I brought up their minor league numbers. If those numbers are going to be set aside, then there is really no chance for an improvement to be obvious. To me, the potential improvement is derived by comparing the players they have been at the levels they have both played at.

It is an interesting discussion and helps us get through the offseason.

I feel like we haven't seen enough of DDJ, since this whole past season was played with a broken hamate bone, which is known to seriously known to diminish hitting numbers

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like we haven't seen enough of DDJ, since this whole past season was played with a broken hamate bone, which is known to seriously known to diminish hitting numbers
I've said that for the last couple years but now I'm convinced it's time to turn the page on DDJ, Robinson and Rua and give others the time on the field. I honestly think we should give Heineman, Trevino and others the time on the field and pass on DDJ, Robinson and Rua.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said that for the last couple years but now I'm convinced it's time to turn the page on DDJ, Robinson and Rua and give others the time on the field. I honestly think we should give Heineman, Trevino and others the time on the field and pass on DDJ, Robinson and Rua.

Despite the fact that he was hurt and was an above average the year before? What about that makes sense? Especially since Heineman is not a CFer?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite the fact that he was hurt and was an above average the year before? What about that makes sense? Especially since Heineman is not a CFer?
Exactly and I am pretty sure Trevino is not ready to make the next step and is Rua not already cut loose?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heineman has played 118 games at CF in the minors. He has also played 12 games there in winter ball this offseason. His total games in the OF is 356. To say he isn't a CF is not really accurate unless you are also going to say he isn't a LF or a RF since he didn't play all of his games in those positions. He is an OF who the club has felt comfortable playing in CF for a third of his playing time. In fact, his percentage of playing CF actually increased in 2018 so they are getting even more comfortable with him there.

They took a chance on DeShields learning CF while they thought we were contending so why shouldn't they be willing to play Heineman there when they aren't contending.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heineman has played 118 games at CF in the minors. He has also played 12 games there in winter ball this offseason. His total games in the OF is 356. To say he isn't a CF is not really accurate unless you are also going to say he isn't a LF or a RF since he didn't play all of his games in those positions. He is an OF who the club has felt comfortable playing in CF for a third of his playing time. In fact, his percentage of playing CF actually increased in 2018 so they are getting even more comfortable with him there.

They took a chance on DeShields learning CF while they thought we were contending so why shouldn't they be willing to play Heineman there when they aren't contending.

Or there was a lack of better options

But, minds are made up, so bring on ST and may the best man win

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we find out who is tendered tomorrow.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or there was a lack of better options

But, minds are made up, so bring on ST and may the best man win

Is there a best?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes he is a yoyo that lacks consistency and Heineman can play all 3 OF positions. we need to be experimenting with what we've got now not waiting until 2020 or 2021 to start. DDJ is history either now or in 2020 or 2021 with Taveras and JPM so make it now