• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Surging Rangers hosting the Chicago White Sox

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Awww, come on Winding. You are suppose to play along. Or maybe you were.

I am serious.

From Scott Lucas' Rangers Farm Report yesterday ...

Ross Detwiler had a messy rehab outing, allowing eight runners and three runs in 1.2 innings. Josh McElwee replaced him with the bases loaded and record the final out of the 8th.

It is no coincidence that TEX got better when Detwiler went on the DL.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am serious.

Ross Detwiler had a messy rehab outing, allowing eight runners and three runs in 1.2 innings. Josh McElwee replaced him with the bases loaded and record the final out of the 8th.

I am not going to disagree with that. He should be a situational RP. But come on I mean after all Gallo is in the lineup so does anything else matter? BadaBoom!

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2013 Texas Rangers first-round pick suspended 80 games | | Dallas Morning News

This kid only hit .211 last year and was only hitting .241 this year at the same level he played at last year and now this.

TOAST. Last month Kevin Mathews this now this month Travis Demeritte ... the 2011 and 2013 First Round picks ... both of whom were failing on the field. Terrible in both cases personally for the players ... especially Demeritte trailing Odor and Alberto at similar age. But just goes to my point that the draft is a farce.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am serious.

Considering the problem was mostly scoring runs before, then yeah it is actually coincidence and unrelated

ERA through May 16th: 4.32, after 4.06 & RunsAllowed/G: 4.8 and 4.2

RunsScored/G in that same time: 4.1 and 6.2

I think it's pretty clear what started the turnaround, dislike Detwiler that's fine, he's been awful, but don't just make crap up, but its obvious you needed a new whipping boy now that DDJ is playing well

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I posted that first paragraph from this article I was going to say that if you are going to use illegal substances at least be productive.
Exactly. Just how bad would he have been without them?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TOAST. Last month Kevin Mathews this now this month Travis Demeritte ... the 2011 and 2013 First Round picks ... both of whom were failing on the field. Terrible in both cases personally for the players ... especially Demeritte trailing Odor and Alberto at similar age. But just goes to my point that the draft is a farce.
He was one we drafted that those who rank those players had ranked a lot lower than where the Rangers picked him. We drafted him at #30. Here was where various sources had him ranked.

MLB.com: 50
Baseball America: 56
Baseball Prospectus / Perfect Game: 52
ESPN (Keith Law): 41

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am serious.

I believe that a few weeks back when we were still 4-5 games under .500 we were just above .500 in games when Detwiler didn't start. He still might make a decent lefty reliever, but he certainly didn't cut it as a starter. Like Eric Nadel said early on, there was a reason why Washington made him a reliever and it wasn't just because they had better candidates.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Considering the problem was mostly scoring runs before, then yeah it is actually coincidence and unrelated

ERA through May 16th: 4.32, after 4.06 & RunsAllowed/G: 4.8 and 4.2

RunsScored/G in that same time: 4.1 and 6.2

I think it's pretty clear what started the turnaround, dislike Detwiler that's fine, he's been awful, but don't just make crap up, but its obvious you needed a new whipping boy now that DDJ is playing well

TEX lack of offense in April made it tough for pitchers who didn't command the strike zone. Corby and Martinez did and despite the poor run support kept the team in games. Detwiler with ERA in the vicinity of the Runs Scored flirted with danger every outing.

Not sure why TEX thought they could make Detwiler into an SP after WSN moved him to the bullpen last year. He had one season where he performed somewhat effectively ... got a salary bump above league minimum ... and lasted a third of the next season before going down. That was 2013. He was done in June. In 2014 he appeared in 47 games with 63IP. Hardly a long arm ... but he had a SP salary.

Detwiler is part of that long line of NL SP spares TEX has acquired over the past five years or so. Wandy Rodriguez and Yovani Gallardo break that mold. But Detwiler comes from the same Rich Hardon mold ... and other spares TEX got from CHC.

As for DeShields -- he's performing incredibly. Way above past expectations. Tweet last night from LSB's Tepid Participation. Maybe DDJ is the real deal ... and the entire Houston system missed it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Wilson's thoughts. Of course this was about the sixth option he listed to take Hamilton's place.

The Rangers’ best minor-league outfielder is Nomar Mazara at Double A Frisco. He’s not on the 40-man, he’s barely 20 years old, and he was a singles hitter for pretty much the first month of the season with a .339 slugging percentage.

But he has slugged at .441 since April and has always had command of the strike zone. If Mazara is coming fast, as many believe he is, why not give him a trial similar to the one Gallo is getting?

Spitballing on Rangers options to replace Josh Hamilton | The Star Telegram The Star Telegram