• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Super Bowl's final minutes may unravel Carroll's Seahawks

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well after 25 weeks of football from preseason to the Super Bowl we have heard countless times just how great this or that was from Seattle or how the greatest defense in NFL history could not be beat and that gets old after about 4 weeks. So now the stories get evened out a bit and you complain about it. That is just part of the game.

This article takes the focus off the last 20 seconds of failure and puts the blame more on the last 2 minutes which had not been talked about on these boards. I ran across this article so thought I would share this writers thoughts with all the football fans on this board to see what others thought about his writing.

Just as Seattle fans get blasted for EVERY thread they make, so too are you fair game for people pointing out your propensity for making these types of anti-seattle threads. If it's ok for you to bitch about every one of theirs, it's perfectly fine for them to bitch back.

Deal with it.

As I already said, cast stones about the coaching only if your team has ever played the perfect game. I can't think of many games where you can't criticize coaches for things you would have done differently. Games end all of the time with questionable clock management and other decisions down the stretch.

To suggest this will destroy the team is laughable. The team knows it was playing with a depleted defense and still nearly beat the best team they could have faced from the AFC. How can they not have confidence going into next year? We are supposed to lambaste Bevell for his comments after the game, but we always say 'in the heat of the moment' when a player says something they might later regret. They have all off season to process whatever emotions they may have had. They will have countless opportunity to tell the coaches face to face any lingering issues they have from that season.

It is serious over reaction to think doubt should be there. Back to back SB's and one play short of back to back wins. This isn't something that destroys teams.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,306.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reality of it all is simple......................Carroll/Bevens/ Wilson are all to blame for the loss due to a horrible play call and execution. If the play had worked and Seattle had scored, Carroll would be a once in a life time genius , Bevens brilliant and Wilson would be celebrating a second MVP.

How many miracles and weird plays can one team get? The TD in the NFCCG in was incredible. Kearse did it again in the Super Bowl. Fate put all of the pieces in place to have arguments and excuses for next 50 years..................It's over, you can't turn back the clock. Good call, bad call, it's all opinion and nothing will change the fact that the Patriots beat the Seahawks 28 - 24.

Back away from the final two minutes and ask a much deeper question......how did the best defense in the NFL allow the Patriots to score 14 unanswered points in the final 15 minutes of the Super Bowl? If you can answer that question, the goal line play calling is irrevelvant.

It's hard to admit, but the Patriots had a better game plan and they stuck to it. Dink and Dunk and frustrate the Seattle defense.

You really want to call out a horrible play.............20 seconds to go. The Patriots are 1st and 10 on the 1-1/2 yard line. Because of lack of discipline, the defense jumps offside on the first "HUT". He'd only done 10 times during the regular season.........the 11th killed any chance for a potential comeback.

To answer your question, we are thin at CB after Sherman, Maxwell, and Lane. Once Lane went down, Maxwell slid to the nickel back position and Simon took over at Maxwell's #2 CB position.
In the divisional round against Carolina, we were stuck in a similar situation and Simon gave up 10 passes on 10 targets along with 2 TD's against Cam Newton. Cam Newton.
That should answer your question on why the NE passing game went super efficient late in the game.

Sorry to wave the in jury card but I answered your Q as accurately as I could.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer your question, we are thin at CB after Sherman, Maxwell, and Lane. Once Lane went down, Maxwell slid to the nickel back position and Simon took over at Maxwell's #2 CB position.
In the divisional round against Carolina, we were stuck in a similar situation and Simon gave up 10 passes on 10 targets along with 2 TD's against Cam Newton. Cam Newton.
That should answer your question on why the NE passing game went super efficient late in the game.

By way of contrast, the Pats got several important plays out of their #5 CB, including an INT -- which is fortunate, because #3 and #4 didn't have good games.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also the pats played a really good game on offense. You cannot beat Seattle throwing down field, even when the LOB is crippled. Brady dinked, he dunked, he hit vareen a million times....thats how you beat seattle....... Actually surprised they gave up trying to run, usually thats a recipe for disaster. I think Avril getting knocked out really hurt more then the secondary playing hurt. Look at toms numbers pre avril injury vs post.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By way of contrast, the Pats got several important plays out of their #5 CB, including an INT -- which is fortunate, because #3 and #4 didn't have good games.

That was Seattle last year. Their depth was huge. And a lot of it came from the so-called 'next man up' or people you might not have expected to shine.

Injuries were a part of it and outstanding plays/execution was as well.

It's a team sport with every play having some impact. It is all part of the story for that game.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So playing hurt doesn't count unless it's a cheap shot by some other team? :noidea:

Injuries are a part of football. Every team has them. Many/most are just random injuries not actually caused by other players. ACL's tear. Ankles roll. Hamstrings get pulled.

Seattle does play physical and are aggressive. Isn't that what football is supposed to be? That was the football I was raised with anyway.

The facts are the facts. Seattle is a defensive first team. They are built around the idea of stopping the other team and scoring just enough to win. Their defense was beyond banged up in that game. They lost two starters during the game. The last of which ended up being the death nail in their coffin. Once Avril went down and the pass rush wasn't there Brady had all day to make his reads. Combine that with the secondary playing on injuries and that's clearly why they allowed 14 points in that quarter. Something they hadn't done all year.

It's called cause and effect. Only those with an agenda use the lame 'excuse' BS. Injuries are very much a part of why Seattle beat up Arizona. It's part of that story. And it was a factor in last years SB with the depleted defense for Denver. Championship teams take full advantage of anything and everything the other team has happen to them. That's football.

I never said it doesn't count, only that I have no sympathy for many of the reasons you mention.

And you can rationalize all you want, Pats walked down the field easily. Just about the whole game. Injured defenders or not. They had Seattle's number. And likely would have evenif Seattle was at full strength. As they did all year long, they adjusted their game plan to the opposition.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said it doesn't count, only that I have no sympathy for many of the reasons you mention.

And you can rationalize all you want, Pats walked down the field easily. Just about the whole game. Injured defenders or not. They had Seattle's number. And likely would have evenif Seattle was at full strength. As they did all year long, they adjusted their game plan to the opposition.

lol, Pats scored 14 points in the first 3 quarters. That's not dominating on offense. Second and third quarters were all Seattle. You can rationalize all you want, but saying a completely healthy Seattle defense wouldn't have done any better is borderline stupid. You want to give credit for the Pats doing what they did all year, but not Seattle's defense. No other team scored 14 on them in the 4th quarter. To suggest losing a CB and their pass rush before that point had zero impact makes me wonder if you understand anything about the fine game of football sir. It really does.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, Pats scored 14 points in the first 3 quarters. That's not dominating on offense. Second and third quarters were all Seattle. You can rationalize all you want, but saying a completely healthy Seattle defense wouldn't have done any better is borderline stupid. You want to give credit for the Pats doing what they did all year, but not Seattle's defense. No other team scored 14 on them in the 4th quarter. To suggest losing a CB and their pass rush before that point had zero impact makes me wonder if you understand anything about the fine game of football sir. It really does.

And I said all year they were good but enhanced by the quality of their opponents in the last 6 games or so.

Which of course you disagree with.

You Seattle folks sure get personal quickly. Guys are stupid, idiots, fuckwads as soon as they don't march to your beat..

Here's something:

Disagree is not a synonym for disrespect.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as Seattle fans get blasted for EVERY thread they make, so too are you fair game for people pointing out your propensity for making these types of anti-seattle threads. If it's ok for you to bitch about every one of theirs, it's perfectly fine for them to bitch back.

Deal with it.

As I already said, cast stones about the coaching only if your team has ever played the perfect game. I can't think of many games where you can't criticize coaches for things you would have done differently. Games end all of the time with questionable clock management and other decisions down the stretch.

To suggest this will destroy the team is laughable. The team knows it was playing with a depleted defense and still nearly beat the best team they could have faced from the AFC. How can they not have confidence going into next year? We are supposed to lambaste Bevell for his comments after the game, but we always say 'in the heat of the moment' when a player says something they might later regret. They have all off season to process whatever emotions they may have had. They will have countless opportunity to tell the coaches face to face any lingering issues they have from that season.

It is serious over reaction to think doubt should be there. Back to back SB's and one play short of back to back wins. This isn't something that destroys teams.

Please show one place where I cast any stones on anything or have expressed my views on any of the play calls made. I did not write the article all I did was post an article written by someone else expressing his thoughts of the last 2 minutes. I dont see my name anywhere on that website giving me credit for those thoughts.

If you want to share these thoughts you have about casting stones about the plays called in the last 2 minutes go click the link of the article and I am sure there is a place where the author of the article has his email address listed and tell him what you think.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Legion of Boom hurt itself. So I have a hard time feeling sympathy.

Sherman's elbow was massacreed in the previous game by Chancellor? Or was it Thomas?

On the Lafell TD, the replacement DB was even nailed in the head by his own teammate who was trying to lambaste Lafell but missed? Thomas?

Can't recall how Thomas hurt his shoulder but you can bet it was done trying to lay somebody out.

Fell on their own swords and can't be used as an excuse. Cause if you live by the sword you die by it too.

Maybe we should call them the Legion of Glass. ;)

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I said all year they were good but enhanced by the quality of their opponents in the last 6 games or so.

Which of course you disagree with.

You Seattle folks sure get personal quickly. Guys are stupid, idiots, fuckwads as soon as they don't march to your beat..

Here's something:

Disagree is not a synonym for disrespect.
When you suggest injuries play no part in the outcome of football games it begs questioning football IQ. It really does. If you find that insulting then perhaps stop saying things that are that absurd.

Please show one place where I cast any stones on anything or have expressed my views on any of the play calls made. I did not write the article all I did was post an article written by someone else expressing his thoughts of the last 2 minutes. I dont see my name anywhere on that website giving me credit for those thoughts.

If you want to share these thoughts you have about casting stones about the plays called in the last 2 minutes go click the link of the article and I am sure there is a place where the author of the article has his email address listed and tell him what you think.

You couldn't tell that was responding to the general conversation going on? :L

New paragraphs often signify a change in direction of the post. But you go right ahead and be as needlessly defensive as you want to be.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you suggest injuries play no part in the outcome of football games it begs questioning football IQ. It really does. If you find that insulting then perhaps stop saying things that are that absurd.

Quite full of yourself eh? Allah's gift to football? Omniscient?

What I said was I had no sympathy for it and that many were self inflicted. Not that it had no influence on the outcome.

I'll leave it at that.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What I said was I had no sympathy for it and that many were self inflicted. Not that it had no influence on the outcome.

I'll leave it at that.

Self inflicted Injury what the hell are you talking about??? You mean like plaxico burress?

Thomas was making a tackle when he seperated his shoulder. Is that self inflicted because he tackled a player?

Chancellor was in a non contact practice.

Sherman was trying to push a guy out of bounds

Lane returned a INT and shattered his arm.

Not sure why i'm trying to have a conversation with you though, maybe im the dumby for that.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Self inflicted Injury what the hell are you talking about??? You mean like plaxico burress?

Thomas was making a tackle when he seperated his shoulder. Is that self inflicted because he tackled a player?

Chancellor was in a non contact practice.

Sherman was trying to push a guy out of bounds

Lane returned a INT and shattered his arm.

Not sure why i'm trying to have a conversation with you though, maybe im the dumby for that.

Another irate Seahawks fan. And apparently also omniscient.

Sherman was nailed by his own guy pushing the Packer out of bounds, that is what hurt his elbow. Ipso fatso self inflicted. Or did you not see the play?

I said I wasn't able to recall how Thomas hurt himself, but that it probably happend when trying to nail somebody. Rather than just bring him to the ground. So potentially self inflicted.

I never mentioned Lane. I did mention his replacement when referring to the Lafell TD and how Thomas damn near concussed him trying to hammer Lafell.

As for being a "dumby".....

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll leave it at that.
:nono:

You said this:

There is no mistaking you said even if Seattle's defense was fully healthy the Pats would have still 'walked up and down the field easily'.

And that's why I questioned your football acumen.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another irate Seahawks fan. And apparently also omniscient.

Sherman was nailed by his own guy pushing the Packer out of bounds, that is what hurt his elbow. Ipso fatso self inflicted. Or did you not see the play?

I said I wasn't able to recall how Thomas hurt himself, but that it probably happend when trying to nail somebody. Rather than just bring him to the ground. So potentially self inflicted.

I never mentioned Lane. I did mention his replacement when referring to the Lafell TD and how Thomas damn near concussed him trying to hammer Lafell.

As for being a "dumby".....

Players get hurt by their own teammates all the time. Happens on the line quite often. Players get rolled up under each other or caught up on their fellow players. What difference does it make? Why does how they got hurt have any relevance to how that game turned out? They neither got hurt on purpose, nor were they hurt on purpose by someone else.

You really have issues man.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:nono:

You said this:

There is no mistaking you said even if Seattle's defense was fully healthy the Pats would have still 'walked up and down the field easily'.

And that's why I questioned your football acumen.

Question away. I believe Brady and the Pats would have done it no matter what. They had a plan and it worked. And would have worked. I believe they would have prevailed.

You don't like that belief? Tough noogies.

I may not be the be all and end all, but this just in, neither are you.....

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really have issues man.

Again, I could care less but I'm not sure how much less.

Sherman already had that guy out of bounds when he was nailed by his own teammate trying to add additional hurt to the Packer.

Instead it was Sherman who was hurt. Significantly apparently. A lot different than getting rolled up the leg on the line of scrimmage.

So again, no sympathy.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk about overly-dramatic. These guys are professionals and they're going to show up for camp next season and be ready to play. They obviously need to address the issue at WR/TE, depth at the o-line, and figure out a way to get through the beginning of the season without ET if it comes to that.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, NE's plan was so great that it took a last second incredible play by a rookie to secure their win against a defense riddled with injuries, but had that same defense been 100% NE would have had the exact same outcome.

Yeah, that's not blind agenda or anything.

:dhd: