• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Super Bowl's final minutes may unravel Carroll's Seahawks

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think BB not calling a TO after the Lynch run on first down to the 1 was a huge factor. I think Seattle went into that play thinking NE would call a TO if Lynch didn't score and they could discuss what play they wanted to use on 2nd down(which would be common in most games). The pass wasn't the worst decision until it didn't work. Would have made more sense to run it(the pass play) on 3rd or 4th down if needed.

I agree with this. I mean you would think in the back of their heads they are thinking, "ok, we are going to score here and the Patriots need time to march down the field so of course a time-out will be called."

Another thing that screwed them was having to call the time out after the amazing Kearse catch. Granted I think everyone (and rightfully so) was still in shock he caught it, but still that hurt having to burn one there.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The year before the Ravens won their last Superbowl they lost to the Patriots on a missed field goal at like 30 yards. They came back with revenge in their eye.

It depends completely on the coach and the team.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The year before the Ravens won their last Superbowl they lost to the Patriots on a missed field goal at like 30 yards. They came back with revenge in their eye.

It depends completely on the coach and the team.

Absolutely. Also - 7 or 8 months from now neither team is going to be fixated on that game nor the final minutes. Both teams are too good to ever have that mindset. Just a ridiculous concept by some.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. Also - 7 or 8 months from now neither team is going to be fixated on that game nor the final minutes. Both teams are too good to ever have that mindset. Just a ridiculous concept by some.

I don't think it will happen either but I guess it is a long season and anything can happen.

Denver sort of imploded last year. Most of that was on Manning but the defense came up short imo as well.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing that screwed them was having to call the time out after the amazing Kearse catch. Granted I think everyone (and rightfully so) was still in shock he caught it, but still that hurt having to burn one there.

Because they were too busy bouncing around in joy instead of getting on with the next play.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reality of it all is simple......................Carroll/Bevens/ Wilson are all to blame for the loss due to a horrible play call and execution. If the play had worked and Seattle had scored, Carroll would be a once in a life time genius , Bevens brilliant and Wilson would be celebrating a second MVP.

How many miracles and weird plays can one team get? The TD in the NFCCG in was incredible. Kearse did it again in the Super Bowl. Fate put all of the pieces in place to have arguments and excuses for next 50 years..................It's over, you can't turn back the clock. Good call, bad call, it's all opinion and nothing will change the fact that the Patriots beat the Seahawks 28 - 24.

Back away from the final two minutes and ask a much deeper question......how did the best defense in the NFL allow the Patriots to score 14 unanswered points in the final 15 minutes of the Super Bowl? If you can answer that question, the goal line play calling is irrevelvant.

It's hard to admit, but the Patriots had a better game plan and they stuck to it. Dink and Dunk and frustrate the Seattle defense.

You really want to call out a horrible play.............20 seconds to go. The Patriots are 1st and 10 on the 1-1/2 yard line. Because of lack of discipline, the defense jumps offside on the first "HUT". He'd only done 10 times during the regular season.........the 11th killed any chance for a potential comeback.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at the Pats Homer. The best defense in the league failed to stop them because they were banged up. It had zero to do with game planning.

They were losing guys and had their entire secondary playing hurt and still almost beat them. Saying your team won because of their game plan is a complete joke.

If Lockette catches that ball your fans are still going crazy asking why you didn't call time out down the stretch. That genius plan wouldn't exist but for one great play by a rookie.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot's of Monday morning quarterbacking going on in that article.

The DB made a great play and the Hawks lost what was never a guaranteed victory.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ANOTHER negative-Seahawks thread started by LambeauLegs....why am I not surprised?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article made mention of Butler's 2nd great play, just under the 2 minute warning. The first was the Kearse "drop" near the end of Q3. And of course his last was the INT.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it will happen either but I guess it is a long season and anything can happen.

Denver sort of imploded last year. Most of that was on Manning but the defense came up short imo as well.

Don't get me wrong - I am not stating that the Seahawks or Pats won't possibly fall short next season - anything is possible especially if injuries become a factor. I am just stating that any issues with the Seahawks likely won't be because of some SB hangover or regret of the last few plays of the game.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think BB not calling a TO after the Lynch run on first down to the 1 was a huge factor. I think Seattle went into that play thinking NE would call a TO if Lynch didn't score and they could discuss what play they wanted to use on 2nd down(which would be common in most games). The pass wasn't the worst decision until it didn't work. Would have made more sense to run it(the pass play) on 3rd or 4th down if needed.

BB not calling timeout was a horrendous decision. Just because he got bailed out by the interception doesn't change that. Seattle was certainly not in a rush. They actually allowed the clock to wind down on purpose (as any team would). They called a bad play...simple as that.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that final drive is going to haunt the Seahawks and their fan's for a long, long time. They were a better managed drive away from likely being considered a dynasty and the best team of the 2010's.

Now they face a really uncertain future knowing that their ability to improve their team is severely limited because of how their salary cap is set up meaning the chances of them getting back to this position in the next couple of years is a lot slimmer than it was the past couple of years.

Obviously no one is ever going to take away the one ring they won last year. But they really did have a chance to put a much more significant stamp on their legacy and let it slip through their hands at the end there.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real problem is the injuries. Seattle played that game with 3-4's of its starting secondary out there when they really should of had surgery prior. The nickle back shattered his arm on that first brady INT. Then Avril gets lasso'd off the field with a concussion while the NE staff GETS it and lets Edelman play through his.

Will the defensive players be the same after those surgeries? Thats the real question.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also,,, I agree, this could rip this franchise apart......I hope there are more articles written, and talking heads reporting about this type of stuff. This is what Seattle needs. They need people thinking their dead. They need people doubting them. It drives them.

This was Seattles Bill Buckner

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real problem is the injuries. Seattle played that game with 3-4's of its starting secondary out there when they really should of had surgery prior. The nickle back shattered his arm on that first brady INT. Then Avril gets lasso'd off the field with a concussion while the NE staff GETS it and lets Edelman play through his.

Will the defensive players be the same after those surgeries? Thats the real question.

The Legion of Boom hurt itself. So I have a hard time feeling sympathy.

Sherman's elbow was massacreed in the previous game by Chancellor? Or was it Thomas?

On the Lafell TD, the replacement DB was even nailed in the head by his own teammate who was trying to lambaste Lafell but missed? Thomas?

Can't recall how Thomas hurt his shoulder but you can bet it was done trying to lay somebody out.

Fell on their own swords and can't be used as an excuse. Cause if you live by the sword you die by it too.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now they face a really uncertain future knowing that their ability to improve their team is severely limited because of how their salary cap is set up meaning the chances of them getting back to this position in the next couple of years is a lot slimmer than it was the past couple of years.

Theyre chances are no slimmer than anyone else. Yes, the salary cap will hinder them to a point, as it does every team. But the core is all but locked up. And the team didnt get to where it is by trying to improve through high priced FAs. Theyve done it by looking under every rock possible for cheap players, then developing them. Having a higher cap number wont stop that approach.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ANOTHER negative-Seahawks thread started by LambeauLegs....why am I not surprised?

Well after 25 weeks of football from preseason to the Super Bowl we have heard countless times just how great this or that was from Seattle or how the greatest defense in NFL history could not be beat and that gets old after about 4 weeks. So now the stories get evened out a bit and you complain about it. That is just part of the game.

This article takes the focus off the last 20 seconds of failure and puts the blame more on the last 2 minutes which had not been talked about on these boards. I ran across this article so thought I would share this writers thoughts with all the football fans on this board to see what others thought about his writing.

Last edited by a moderator:

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well after 25 weeks of football from preseason to the Super Bowl we have heard countless times just how great this or that was from Seattle or how the greatest defense in NFL history could not be beat and that gets old after about 4 weeks. So now the stories get evened out a bit and you complain about it. That is just part of the game.

This article takes the focus off the last 20 seconds of failure and puts the blame more on the last 2 minutes which had not been talked about on these boards. I ran across this article so thought I would share this writers thoughts with all the football fans on this board to see what others thought about his writing.

Strange, Why would people want to talk about a team thats made back to back superbowls. And you know its weird that most of those were positive..... sicne you know the team was good enough to make back to back superbowls.

Your a hater cause Seattle has made the team you follow it's bitch. Nothing more nothing less.

We may have lost the superbowl in epically mind numbing fashion, but we still beat your team to get there.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Legion of Boom hurt itself. So I have a hard time feeling sympathy.

Sherman's elbow was massacreed in the previous game by Chancellor? Or was it Thomas?

On the Lafell TD, the replacement DB was even nailed in the head by his own teammate who was trying to lambaste Lafell but missed? Thomas?

Can't recall how Thomas hurt his shoulder but you can bet it was done trying to lay somebody out.

Fell on their own swords and can't be used as an excuse. Cause if you live by the sword you die by it too.

So playing hurt doesn't count unless it's a cheap shot by some other team? :noidea:

Injuries are a part of football. Every team has them. Many/most are just random injuries not actually caused by other players. ACL's tear. Ankles roll. Hamstrings get pulled.

Seattle does play physical and are aggressive. Isn't that what football is supposed to be? That was the football I was raised with anyway.

The facts are the facts. Seattle is a defensive first team. They are built around the idea of stopping the other team and scoring just enough to win. Their defense was beyond banged up in that game. They lost two starters during the game. The last of which ended up being the death nail in their coffin. Once Avril went down and the pass rush wasn't there Brady had all day to make his reads. Combine that with the secondary playing on injuries and that's clearly why they allowed 14 points in that quarter. Something they hadn't done all year.

It's called cause and effect. Only those with an agenda use the lame 'excuse' BS. Injuries are very much a part of why Seattle beat up Arizona. It's part of that story. And it was a factor in last years SB with the depleted defense for Denver. Championship teams take full advantage of anything and everything the other team has happen to them. That's football.