• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suh to sign with Dolphins -- 6 years 115 million

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is gone. It is something most fans expected once contract negotiations were cut off before last season. Detroit got the short end of the stick when drafting Stafford and Suh. Instead of getting bargain priced players to lead their team -- they had to pay the ridiculous contracts each draft slot was given to rookies. Suh was already the highest paid DT without playing a single snap. Stafford was paid a fortune because of where he was drafted.

Because of these contracts -- Detroit had to try and put together teams by restructuring players like Stafford and Suh (multiple times) to be able to go out in the FA market to sign players like Reggie Bush, Glover Quinn, Tulloch, etc. At some point -- it catches up to you. You can't continue to kick the can down the road. In a league where the only thing that matters is winning -- the front office worried about today, instead of the future, and while they were able to re-sign Stafford (which was also a mistake, as he hasn't come close to the career year he had in 2011), it finally bit them in the ass with Suh.

I've said it already, but if they hadn't restructured Suh -- they could have tagged him for 12 million. If they only restructured him once, it would have only been 19 million. The fact is -- without the restructures -- Detroit wouldn't have had the money to sign the FA's they have brought in. Instead, Suh ended up with a 27 million tag and it was ridiculous to even think tagging him at that amount made sense.

The front office failed, but I honestly can't even be that upset, as I believe, no matter how much cap space the Lions had -- Suh was going to the highest bidder. Suh would have to put up JJ Watt numbers, while playing DT, to come close to earning the money he is being paid. It isn't happening. Miami grossly overpaid and anyone who thinks Suh turns the Dolphins into a Super Bowl contender -- I ask you how they've done lately. They are without WR's, Lamar Miller is their RB and Tannehill is their QB. Miami isn't going anywhere. Suh will put butt's in the seats, but he did the same thing for the Lions. In the end -- a team is only as good as the rest of players around them and when you have a DT eating up a huge portion of your cap and you have to cut talent to afford him -- it isn't a recipe for success.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it already, but if they hadn't restructured Suh -- they could have tagged him for 12 million. If they only restructured him once, it would have only been 19 million.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. Or Tim Twentyman had it wrong. In a recent article he said Suh's original rookie contract would have made the tag number $16 mil, either that or he said his final year was originally $16, which would have made the tag about $19. Either way, i'm pretty sure the number $16 is either or. Dont' quote me, I can't find the article I read this from, or any article on the subject as all the search results are something to do with Miami right now.

And on the "Suh was destined to the highest bidder", everything I've read says he gave the Lions every chance to retain him. It sounds like the reported Lions offer of $17 mil per season and $58 guaranteed was only made after they found out he was going to sign with Miami. Reports are original offer from Lions was around $15 mil.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how "basic business sense" has anything to do with answering the question. I have advanced business sense and see no pros to Levy staying to work behind a patch work D line when he'll obviously receive substantial offers to play more a more storied frsnchise.

What football reasons does he have to stay?

What if they go 5-11?

Are you assuming he will be resigning with a 2015 playoff team? And if not why stay with a loser when winning teams will be there to sign him?

I could sell it easily and quickly. Business 101.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami cut bad players to sign an elite one. That's smart. Wallace and Hartline were both gone after disappointing stints, anyone following Miami knew that. You're counting cutting Finnegan as a loss are you kidding me?

I'll make you an avatar bet right now that not only do the Fins win more than 8 games, they'll win more games then the Lions.

Consider yourself and the rainbow club you called this post a winner, challenged.
Welp Finnegan was their starter....that just shows how bad they suck. Wallace and Hartline were the starters...same story. So they blew their wad on Suh...and they are left without even money to sign draft picks. So they make more cuts and immediately start all 7 of their picks? By the time these guys develop Suh will be closing in on retirement. So one DT will make them win more games? The truth is heck no. Thats why the 2013 Texans won 3 games with JJ Watt on their team. Thats why the 2013 Lions won 5 with Suh on their team. The Dolphins are going to be a big shitter.
So I'm down for a bet Rob. You feel like shaving off those dreads?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp Finnegan was their starter....that just shows how bad they suck. Wallace and Hartline were the starters...same story. So they blew their wad on Suh...and they are left without even money to sign draft picks. So they make more cuts and immediately start all 7 of their picks? By the time these guys develop Suh will be closing in on retirement. So one DT will make them win more games? The truth is heck no. Thats why the 2013 Texans won 3 games with JJ Watt on their team. Thats why the 2013 Lions won 5 with Suh on their team. The Dolphins are going to be a big shitter.

Sure I'll shave off my dreads. What's the bet.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Miami will be just fine. They'll sign a few more FAs and their draft class np.

I guess you forgot about the Texans 12-4 record in 2012 w JJ? Their issues are at QB. Nothing to down Watt's contract.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Wallace was pretty awful last year scoring only 10 TD's.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Wallace was pretty awful last year scoring only 10 TD's.

We cut him for good reasons. He's been a thorn in the side of the locker room, often demanding the ball. We should have np replacing him with a team player.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We cut him for good reasons. He's been a thorn in the side of the locker room, often demanding the ball. We should have np replacing him with a team player.

I take it back. Looks like Mike is willing to play nice in order to play w Suh. Smart.

The chances of Mike Wallace staying in Miami have increased based on the Dolphins' free-agency moves.
Beat writer Adam Beasley reports Wallace has "buried the hatchet" with Ryan Tannehill and is "open to returning" after clashing with the coaching staff in 2014. The money paid to Randall Cobb and Jeremy Maclin has also made Wallace's $9.85 million salary look reasonable. Surrounding Tannehill with playmakers should be a priority for the Dolphins. Wallace makes plays. Mar 9 - 7:03 PM

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami will be just fine. They'll sign a few more FAs and their draft class np.

I guess you forgot about the Texans 12-4 record in 2012 w JJ? Their issues are at QB. Nothing to down Watt's contract.
No I didnt forget. They had 7 pro bowlers on offense that year including their QB.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take it back. Looks like Mike is willing to play nice in order to play w Suh. Smart.

The chances of Mike Wallace staying in Miami have increased based on the Dolphins' free-agency moves.
Beat writer Adam Beasley reports Wallace has "buried the hatchet" with Ryan Tannehill and is "open to returning" after clashing with the coaching staff in 2014. The money paid to Randall Cobb and Jeremy Maclin has also made Wallace's $9.85 million salary look reasonable. Surrounding Tannehill with playmakers should be a priority for the Dolphins. Wallace makes plays. Mar 9 - 7:03 PM
Thats true...Rob, I agree if they can get Tanehill some playmakers and keep Wallace they might be able to score some points. But how are they going to do that? According to the figures I saw...with their rollover they had 11 million. They need 8 or so more just for Suh. And 5-6 for their draft picks. So they draft an offensive playmaker in the first round(a wide receiver)? Thats one hoping you strike rookie gold. You have 0 dollars for a decent free agent. Even if they do free up money....who is available? They had the dinkin dunk offense this year that was hard to watch. Wallace averaged 12 a catch Landry less than 10 with Miller as their feature back. Even you must admit...thats pretty pathetic.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure I'll shave off my dreads. What's the bet.
You mentioned the bet...something about 8 games. I said they wont. So if the Fins win 8 you win. What do you want?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami had 10 million in cap space before signing Suh. They have more cut and restructuring to do. Tannehil is in a contract year and tagging a QB is not cheap. He has no weapons and can not afford to get them in FA. If they do they will have to mortgage more of the future. Miami will have a very short window IMO.

The Lions front office is inept. Not because they didn't get Suh signed but because they didn't have a plan for all possibilities. I would have respected Mayhew more if he went into this saying we will pay Suh x amount and not a penny more. His second guessing and last second contract of 102 million was counter to their initial stance...and I say that because they could have offered that type of contract last season and it would have made him the top paid defender. The offer was made after he shopped the Lions Miami's offer. So they had to have upped the ante after past negotiations....changing tactics when you already lost!

They didn't pick up Fairley's contract because they wanted to elevate his play, but because they needed that money to pay Suh....IMO.

They didn't draft Donald because Suh was staying.

Have a fucking plan and then a backup plan. If paying Suh more than 18 million a year was not in your plans great! Finally some fiscal reason to build a team with depth. But don't have a plan then try to change it when you realize how poorly you mismanaged the situation.

As for Levy the Lions can afford to tag him he will not be a 28 million dollar cap hit.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mentioned the bet...something about 8 games. I said they wont. So if the Fins win 8 you win. What do you want?

Ok, if the Dolphins win 9 game or more you have to grow dreads.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you answer my questions. Are you guaranteeing Levy doesn't bolt?
If offered 4 years at 9MM per with $15MM up front and $20MM guaranteed, yes as long as he isn't crazy. YOu can never guarantee that the other side isn't crazy.