• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suh to sign with Dolphins -- 6 years 115 million

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to turn this into another Stafford debate, but he absolutely cannot stay the same as the last 3 years for us to win. He has to prove that 2011 was not a fluke.

The last three years of Stafford are what I call Joh Kitna stats... all yardage with fear of getting into the end zone.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the bright side. This will be Mayhew's last year.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eli was clutch, had one of the best running games in the league, and a monster D-line. Eli in all apects of his career is better than Stafford. It hurts me to say that. I hate Eli, but reality is reality. And for the Ravens to win the Superbowl, Flacco had to go on one of the greatest post season runs of all time for a QB.

I don't want to turn this into another Stafford debate, but he absolutely cannot stay the same as the last 3 years for us to win. He has to prove that 2011 was not a fluke.
My point wasn't to argue over Stafford, just that teams can win without an elite QB. Stafford may never be elite, but we also may never need him to be.

Stafford is here long term. If Mayhew can't build a winner, maybe someone else can. We've got plenty of pieces right now. Cupboard isn't bare.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't fault mayhew on this one. i fault the entire front office when it came to how they restructured his contract repeatedly making it impossible to franchise tag him.

IF Detroit tagged Suh -- no team is giving up 2 1st round picks for a DT and Detroit would have been stuck paying him 27 million for one year, before he jumped ship for the biggest contract the next year.

as much as i love Suh and will miss him. NO CHANCE you pay a DT 19 million a year. just the fact he is being paid more than JJ Watt, Suh should give his agent as extra million, because Suh isn't close to the same level as Watt.

at 19 million dollars -- i will say thank you for the great years you had here Suh, but no way am I paying you more as the top defensive player in the league, when you aren't.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the bright side. This will be Mayhew's last year.

One would think but I wonder, Millen got a 5 year extension for losing... and since then the only thing I've ever seen from the Lions Organization is to appease the fan base from time to time so their isn't another riot.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is a great player, but that is an absurd contract. I could see 5 years $75m, but 6 years $114m??? $19m a year? J.J. Watt didn't even get that much money. Boy, Suh's agent did a hell of a job.

Agree Seahawksfan. Exactly what I said in another thread a week or so ago.

Nice to hear the opionion of a rational outsider instead of the bunch of usual butt hurt infants who have a giant man crush.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our future now hinges on Stafford becoming elite. How confident are you guys?

I gave up on that ship ever sailing. Stafford is a QB that makes you know your team always has a chance, but hasn't ever reached any level of real consistency. The Lions future hinges on the Zigster.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one and only thing about Suh that I care about is if he will get the same treatment from the league. Let's keep in mind that this idiot WAS suspended for our playoff game. The playoffs. The thing you play for all year. The chance to win a SuperBowl. THE reward. And he was officially suspended for it. He was lucky to have his suspension overturned and instead "just" got a record fine.

We all know Detroit has gotten the screw job by the league in the past, but if they start letting Suh get away with more now that he is on another team (and the highest paid player in the league) I will be pretty upset as a Lions fan.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be fine. They offered him a great contract and it was not enough. They'll be fine. Cap wise, they'll be better off.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great work Miami. Really like our chances vs the Pats now.

Career defining fumble by the Lions, just letting Suh go. They couldn't trade him to Miami last year? Put the transition tag on him and at least round up two 1sts for the next regime?

Epic failure by the Lions. Epic show of courage by Miami. Not everyone is satisfied being no.2 in their division like the Lions are (were).
Miami is going to suck balls. Tanehill is due for a contract extension. They have to make several cuts just to sign Suh(the only have 11 million in cap space). They wont have either of their starting wideouts...(Hartline and Wallace)...Very likely Clay will be a cap casualty. The already cut Finnegan. Randy Starks goes for sure. They better hope that Suh makes thier D the best in the league....because they arent scoring many points. I bet they will lose more than 8 games.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, that's too bad. Kinda sad.

I don't remember the offense winning 1 game for the club last season. That's going to have to change this season if the Lions hope to hit .500. I would have said that even if Suh had stayed. Now it's imperative.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the Fins are releasing Ellerbe too.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, that's too bad. Kinda sad.

I don't remember the offense winning 1 game for the club last season. That's going to have to change this season if the Lions hope to hit .500. I would have said that even if Suh had stayed. Now it's imperative.
Giants game week 1

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget Odrick is a FA also...Suh will be playing with scrap heap players signed in June or July.

What I find funny is with a doubt, if the Lions were pursuing Suh from the Dolphins and signed him to this contract. Many would scream how Mayhew is a idiot and is overpaying for one guy and will cripple the team.

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is gone now is the time to try and figure out which way the Lions go in F.A. and the draft

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I am glad the lions did not spend that amount on Suh.

2. Mayhew is still a dumbass. Just not for paying a guy that dials it up when it's important to him.

Before last season the league wide consensus was Ngata was the best DT and Atkins, McCoy, and Suh were fighting for next best. Subtract Suh's first and last season with Detroit he was just a very good DT. Not worth the highest paid defensive player in the game.

Detroit with 18 million has the potential to be better than a depth strapped Lions with Suh. As for the argument Suh made the Lions defense he was just one part. They had a good defense after the loss of Tulloch, Fairley, and a aged Mathias in the secondary.

So pine for Suh if you want he got a boatload of cash and Miami got??? and a bad contract.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Lion Lawrence Jackson hit the nail on the head. Detroit's front office has spent years robbing Peter to pay Paul and it has finally caught up to them. If they hadn't restructured Suh's deal over the years -- they could have franchised him for 12 million dollars. Because of how the front office handled his contract -- that number went up almost 250% to franchise him.

In the end -- a team's defense is only as good as the guys around you. Suh has been with the Lions for 5 years and we have exactly zero playoff wins. It wasn't until Teryl Austin became the DC that the defense was worth a damn. It hurts to lose Suh, but they have the cap space to add players and add depth. IMO -- while Detroit isn't going to find someone to replace Suh -- they can sign multiple players to make the defense better as a whole.

If Suh was a DE getting 15-20 sacks -- I would be heart broken right now. It hurts to see him go, but if the numbers they are reporting are correct. I applaud the front office for letting him walk, as there is no chance in hell, Suh should be the highest paid defensive player in football or ANY DT for that matter.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which actually meant Suh for 12 million next year and still gone for 2016 season. So the Suh era was going to end anyway.

We just get out of our systems quicker now.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only bright spot for me is that Suh will turn 35 before this deal is over. There will almost certainly be an unproductive year or two at the end.

That said, we just lost the second-best defensive player in the game and a future Hall of Famer. It'll hurt next year, though not as much as what would have been left of the team if we'd applied the franchise tag.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eli was clutch, had one of the best running games in the league, and a monster D-line. Eli in all apects of his career is better than Stafford. It hurts me to say that. I hate Eli, but reality is reality. And for the Ravens to win the Superbowl, Flacco had to go on one of the greatest post season runs of all time for a QB.

Eli had better teams than Stafford. He's not a better QB.