• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steve Johnson

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Stevie Johnson and the salary cap impact | ************.com

it makes sense from just a salary cap perspective. But my comment is....IF the plan was to use Johnson one year, and cut him the next, doesn't seem like a good way of using a 4th? Granted a 4th rounder isn't a HIGH pick, but 4th rounders tend to last thru their rookie contracts.

wouldn't Baalke have thought out his 2015 cap impact BEFORE he made the trade?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we are 100% drafting WR if we cut him

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be fine if we bring back Stevie but his salary needs to be cut down to like 3 million. I can also see the reasoning why we brought Stevie in just for one year hoping it would help us win a SB. Keeping him or cutting him I will be fine with either or.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would be fine if we bring back Stevie but his salary needs to be cut down to like 3 million. I can also see the reasoning why we brought Stevie in just for one year hoping it would help us win a SB. Keeping him or cutting him I will be fine with either or.

yeah, If a team believes they're close to winning a SB, they go after one or two last pieces. But you usually do this by signing higher end FA's, not trading away a 4th rounder. This is the part I'm wondering about, not that they traded for Johnson.

Bring this forward to this coming draft, are you going to trade away our 4th rounder knowing (or most likely knowing) that player will leave in 2016? Wouldn't it make more sense to use that 4th rounder on a player who'll be around for 4 years? granted its a vet versus rookie, but think I'd take my chances this 4th rounder is a decent contributor, who might even start.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, If a team believes they're close to winning a SB, they go after one or two last pieces. But you usually do this by signing higher end FA's, not trading away a 4th rounder. This is the part I'm wondering about, not that they traded for Johnson.

Bring this forward to this coming draft, are you going to trade away our 4th rounder knowing (or most likely knowing) that player will leave in 2016? Wouldn't it make more sense to use that 4th rounder on a player who'll be around for 4 years? granted its a vet versus rookie, but think I'd take my chances this 4th rounder is a decent contributor, who might even start.

I don't think Baalke anticipated getting rid of Johnson when he made the move. Sure, given his salary, that was always a possibility. But you're talking about a guy who had three 1,000+ yard seasons heading into 2013, and averaged 62 ypg in the four years leading up to joining the Niners (extrapolates to 992 yards in 16 games). I think the hope was that he'd be another Boldin. And frankly, he probably should have gotten more opportunities. He was more effective than Crabtree in limited opportunities.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we cut him we are 100% drafting a WR in the 1st rd and we will take another one in the draft. I see us drafting 2 WRs if this happens.

Give me White, Parker, Cooper, DGB and starting to like Strong. Strong is moving up boards. the good news is 49ers will have options.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Baalke anticipated getting rid of Johnson when he made the move. Sure, given his salary, that was always a possibility. But you're talking about a guy who had three 1,000+ yard seasons heading into 2013, and averaged 62 ypg in the four years leading up to joining the Niners (extrapolates to 992 yards in 16 games). I think the hope was that he'd be another Boldin. And frankly, he probably should have gotten more opportunities. He was more effective than Crabtree in limited opportunities.

He actually started the season off pretty good and then injured his knee. I read a story that his knee was really limiting his mobility. He tried playing on it during the season but he just couldn't function and as a result was placed on IR

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see SJ back at a reasonable salary if his knee heals up properly.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He actually started the season off pretty good and then injured his knee. I read a story that his knee was really limiting his mobility. He tried playing on it during the season but he just couldn't function and as a result was placed on IR

Maybe an injury issue. I never thought of that but I thought him getting cut after 1 year was a bit odd.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

oh ok, yeah he was injured so if this injury 'lingers' to this season, that's a reason for re-working his contract. That is something you can't anticipate/factor in at the time of trade.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh ok, yeah he was injured so if this injury 'lingers' to this season, that's a reason for re-working his contract. That is something you can't anticipate/factor in at the time of trade.
San Francisco 49ers News Niner Insider Blog Lingering knee injury has crippled WR Johnsons performance

It could be a reason to redo his contract. Not sure what exactly happened to his knee, never saw a report of what happened to it. He continued to play on it but the knee just seemed to get worse.

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the 49ers release Steve Johnson, I wonder if he could be a FA target for the Browns? Played with Pett in Buff and Joker Philips at UK.

Mock2Speed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With the way salaries are increasing around the league for middle of the road talent, what will $5.5-6 million net us in the FA market if we release him? A look at our roster in the upcoming FA frenzy, we look depleted at CB and WR depth, need an insurance policy at QB, solid depth for OL and along the DL (becomes more dire if Smith retires). Just saying there seems to be more pressing problems outside of WR, why exacerbate the issue by making a cost cutting measure.

If Stevie Johnson's 2nd half decline is a direct result of the lingering/worsening knee issue, then I believe we would expect it to be healed by training camp. When healthy and 100%, he's a better bet to get a good return from a $6 million investment in a receiver.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the way salaries are increasing around the league for middle of the road talent, what will $5.5-6 million net us in the FA market if we release him? A look at our roster in the upcoming FA frenzy, we look depleted at CB and WR depth, need an insurance policy at QB, solid depth for OL and along the DL (becomes more dire if Smith retires). Just saying there seems to be more pressing problems outside of WR, why exacerbate the issue by making a cost cutting measure.

If Stevie Johnson's 2nd half decline is a direct result of the lingering/worsening knee issue, then I believe we would expect it to be healed by training camp. When healthy and 100%, he's a better bet to get a good return from a $6 million investment in a receiver.

I would rather cut Stevie and save 6 million and go after Maclin or Cobb who will prolly get 10-12 million a year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is 49ers might sign a WR instead of drafting one. Just rumors Im reading. I would rather draft a WR just because this is a good WR class.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is 49ers might sign a WR instead of drafting one. Just rumors Im reading. I would rather draft a WR just because this is a good WR class.

They could do both, but they are not going to get what is needed in the free agent market alone. I could see them picking up a cheaper replacement for Crabtree and/or Stevie Johnson but not a true impact WR