• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Off Season Thread

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen any Waiver claims yet regarding the Kings players but yesterday they made cuts. The one that seems to surprise Kings fans is Fagemo, mine is actually Moverare. Not flashy, solid SAH LHD. Not like the Kings are flush with those and looking like Bjornfot and Englund will be 3LD.

If they clear they will be assigned to Ontario.

EDIT: Fagemo claimed by Nashville.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Claimed by Nashville. I feel like LA was big on this kid but article saying he was way down on depth chart.

*I see puck posted already about this

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3 years 17.25 million.

Makes Kempe at $5.5 million look like a steal. Zegras has outscored him the last 2 seasons, but Kempe has become a full 200' player while potting 40 goals.

Zegras is a ahowboater who can't play defense and doesn't elevate his line mates. Also the way the negotiations went, and Zegras not being a Verbeek pick one has to believe he mat not be part of their future after thus contract if not during.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Claimed by Nashville. I feel like LA was big on this kid but article saying he was way down on depth chart.

*I see puck posted already about this

I think fans had higher expectations of him than management did. It's not prevalent on our board but certainly is on Teh Blog, perception of prospects is unrealistic and every kid who rips up the OHL or won Stud of the Year in college or whatever is the next coming. The Fagemo talk was pretty interesting to read over the last 2 years being penciled in as Arvidsson's replacement as RW2.

He was simply passed by other prospects and players at the NHL level and is 23 years old, hope he finds a spot in Nashville. Laferierre passed him up this time, noted by Fagemo being waived even though Laferreriere was the one who was Waiver exempt but is still up with the Kings in camp. If they wanted to keep him they easily could have.

Straight up performance/progression move and nothing else. Similar reactions happened years ago when Nashville acquired Marian Cisar in a trade with LA in 1999, had a decent season in 2000 going 12/15/27pts but then fell off the face of the NHL map.

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think fans had higher expectations of him than management did. It's not prevalent on our board but certainly is on Teh Blog, perception of prospects is unrealistic and every kid who rips up the OHL or won Stud of the Year in college or whatever is the next coming. The Fagemo talk was pretty interesting to read over the last 2 years being penciled in as Arvidsson's replacement as RW2.

He was simply passed by other prospects and players at the NHL level and is 23 years old, hope he finds a spot in Nashville. Laferierre passed him up this time, noted by Fagemo being waived even though Laferreriere was the one who was Waiver exempt but is still up with the Kings in camp. If they wanted to keep him they easily could have.

Straight up performance/progression move and nothing else. Similar reactions happened years ago when Nashville acquired Marian Cisar in a trade with LA in 1999, had a decent season in 2000 going 12/15/27pts but then fell off the face of the NHL map.

Think everyone reacts based on how Yannetti is always referencing the Kings reaching in 2007 at the 4th overall pick of Thomas Hickey. I remember Hickey and Tuebert being the 1st paring D at the 2009 WJC, and everyone gong Ron Burgandy's Pleated Pants with the prospect of those two leading into the Kings' future. Obviously, didn't pan out, but Yank (as Jon Hovan refers to him) always talks about Hickey as a lost opportunity because the Kings didn't get anything in return for someone who played over 400 games....

hard.gif

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jonathan Quick speculation. Saying recalling this other backup maybe means Quick maybe won't even be the backup in NY.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think everyone reacts based on how Yannetti is always referencing the Kings reaching in 2007 at the 4th overall pick of Thomas Hickey. I remember Hickey and Tuebert being the 1st paring D at the 2009 WJC, and everyone gong Ron Burgandy's Pleated Pants with the prospect of those two leading into the Kings' future. Obviously, didn't pan out, but Yank (as Jon Hovan refers to him) always talks about Hickey as a lost opportunity because the Kings didn't get anything in return for someone who played over 400 games....

View attachment 342173

That 2007 draft was not a deep draft, a handful of 1st round picks went on to have good careers (Kane 1st, Couture 9th. Paccioretti 22nd, a few other serviceables like Shattenkirk) but apart from basically the top 5 it was a crap shoot between 6-30.

I understand Dumbo's reasoning to take Hickey who was tabbed to go in the late teens because the draft wasn't that great and he took the player he wanted based on their build out plan at the time (net out, G first, D second. Quick was developing and in 2006 he took Bernier at 11th overall), he followed that up by taking Doughty 2OA and Teubert 13OA the very next draft in 2008.

He was stockpiling, just accumulating high end picks and seeing which ones would work out. Hickey did not and he went on to have an OK career, definitely not one to justify a 4OA however. If he played in LA like he did his career, he would have been a D3 lifetime guy so I don't see the "lament" Yanetti is referring to. Hickey was a roll of the dice because they had that luxury and it was a gamble that didn't work out. They found their franchise defender 12 months later.

No big loss IMO, just like how I envision Fagemo and to some extent Arty Retardy. Watched the game last night* and he's a left shot Frk, that's it. I don't see this "untapped potential" Teh Blog keeps referring to, he hasn't progressed in almost 3 years in the league but somehow they keep saying 30/40 goal scorer - dude hasn't scored 30 goals over his career to date, and half have been PP goals which means he isn't generating a whole lot on his own or without open space yet magically this season he will? I don't see that, and another case of Prospect Myopia. This isn't NHL24.

The NHL roster is locked for a while if you look at contracts, expect more prospects to be gone in the near future. Kingsters are going to lose their minds.

* Buster MIA again. I have barely heard his name called in any game (3) I have watched since Australia.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jonathan Quick speculation. Saying recalling this other backup maybe means Quick maybe won't even be the backup in NY.

The Rags have B2B games coming up, this is to spell Quick and Shesterkin. He will be sent back down to the AHL after those games, I don't see him taking Quick's spot this season. He's their best goalie in the system and they need him down in Hartford.

Quick however has not had a good preseason, but I expect him to stay in NY as the back up.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petersen on waivers again, most likely headed to the AHL. Yikes - arguably the worst contract Blake handed out.

I was pretty vocal when it was handed out, you don't give a guy with 54 NHL games over 3 seasons that type of contract. You just don't, especially since his game started slipping at the tail end of 2021 with the contract given out in September 2021.

It was obvious to me he was not the answer, no idea how that was missed with brass. You lose him you do, if he pops you pay him. They extended him a full year before his existing contract was even set to expire and a flat out stupid decision and no reason for it until he completed the season and see what pay scale he actually fit on.

This is also why I have Portillo on my radar. Another Buffalo prospect who refused to sign, hasn't played too great in preseason in Ontario. Hope Blake learned from that mistake but Mr Check Happy is all about padding player bank accounts from the days he played to now as an executive.

Going to be my salty self here too even though I shouldn't be:

Essentially a cap dump considering his substantial two years and $5 million per-year salary still left on his contract, he will now be applying his trade to the AHL.

It's actually "plying"...

Additionally, the Flyers will be getting some relief of his giant cap hit. With Petersen in the minors, just $3.875 million will be counting against the Flyers’ cap,

"Just" $3.875 million? For a guy who will probably run this contract out, be $15 million richer, sign for the league minimum in 2025 and get a cup of coffee in the NHL now and again? Seems like quite the waste of money there to me. That $3.875 million is a M4-6 forward or T3-4 defender.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kept wanting to blame McLlelan and his system because it seems like a bonafide goalie killer, but seeing Quick struggle with Vegas and now NY, and then you see Cal being sent to AHL again, MAYBE they were just both really terrible. So maybe even a serviceable Talbot could mean a solid season for LA.

Goaltending still a question mark obviously, and I think the forward depth took a hit losing Villardi and Iafallo. Adding in PLD obviously replaces some of that, so we'll see. LA had a deep 3 lines. Hard to argue defense isn't more solid at the top 4, but bottom 2 are questionable.

Still feel this team is a year away if sounds guys don't round this roster out. Hoping for more from a host of dudes. Trevor Moore money kicks in, so he's on the list of guys needing to take another step as well. Aside from the obvious, Byfield, Kaliyev, maybe Spence, Turcotte, Bjornfot. Clarke is a rookie so that's too much pressure to expect immediate success, but it'd certainly be nice.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Clarke makes this roster to be honest. He needs time in the AHL, he would have sheltered minutes with 8/44/3/84 in the T4, Spence is ready at RD3. No need whatsoever to keep this guy up unless he shows he earned it and is ready.

I don't think he is from what I've seen so far, and the way he backed down from Stone confirms that to me. Mentally he isn't ready. 2008 Doughty doesn't back down from that at all, NHL Cup championship captain or not. He just isn't ready for full time duty yet. Not saying he won't be, but he should develop in Ontario for now, not LA.

Buster, Bjornfot, Kaliyev, not a lot of faith based on NHL play. Turcotte is the wild card assuming he stays healthy which is a big if but I don't see him.in LA either in which case this season it's time to consider moving on.

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant wait for pucks reaction to this. I just ran across this the other day. In a nutshell QB is saying that both of his wrists were hurt last year and that he really couldnt feel his hands. Does really explain him being pretty nonexistent so far in the preseason. I really do hope he comes around and prove the doubters wrong (me included).

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did read this 2 days ago and put that into consideration. It would explain why he wasn't productive at all but I don't think that was the reason. Just look at the first preseason game and the SO, Buster has had a full off season to recover yet he didn't even hit the net. Looking at him this preseason, he has been completely MIA and non existent in every single game.

The excuses only last so long, hopefully this is all behind him and he starts putting up some points. The Kings absolutely need this guy to break through this season.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaliyev suspended 4 games for his knee on knee hit to Leo Carlsson of Anaheim last night. Seems way harsh for a first time offender, you never know what you'll get with DOPS. For being a goon Parros sure is all over the map when it comes to handing out discipline.

Big issue is this was the first time Kaliyev has been noticed during preseason and not the good kind of attention. The last 2 games he will miss will be the opener and G2, and per the CBA suspended players for on ice incidents, even preseason, counts against the cap. The Kings cannot carry a replacement for him, get zero cap relief and have one spot for a D or a F. Good job Arty Retardy, absolutely unnecessary but he had just gotten smoked by Gudas on a good clean check and was clearly frustrated and was looking for anyone in a Duck uniform. Definitely not cool sticking his leg out, and if you watch the replay that's clearly what it was - cannot be denied or justified in any way.

The bigger issue, at least for him, is this has opened the door for Laferriere. He is taking his spot on L3 and will get some games in starting tonight. Kailyev could literally lose his spot in the lineup in 2 weeks and be sent down to Ontario based on how Laferriere performs. So far 34 has been a dud in preseason.

Game is at 7pm tonight on BSW, I want to watch Laferriere and see how he fits and how he looks. By far the biggest surprise in camp.

Last edited:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Laferriere more noticeable in one game on that line than Arty all preseason. You should be worried son
- PLD is going to be a game breaker. Dude is all over, but quietly. He is a big man too, you can definitely know it when he is out there
- Copley...50/50. Nothing crazy but nothing spectacular either
- Buster MIA again. Keep the wrists bro

3-3, looks like OT

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Laferriere more noticeable in one game on that line than Arty all preseason. You should be worried son
- PLD is going to be a game breaker. Dude is all over, but quietly. He is a big man too, you can definitely know it when he is out there
- Copley...50/50. Nothing crazy but nothing spectacular either
- Buster MIA again. Keep the wrists bro

3-3, looks like OT

Laferriere has looked good since the rookie camp. I noticed him last year even. He make the team eventually. I'd say he'd make it this year if it wasn't for the cap issues. Unfortunately, I think he'll be sent down once Kaliyev's suspension is up.

Other notable take aways from the last two games is:

- Moore is looking more like the Moore of 2021-22 / That line still has good chemistry again.
- Clarke will be sent down. He still needs more time to grow into the NHL game and that's not a bad thing
- Dubois and Fiala are building chemistry and if they continue to do so Puck and I can play on that line and produce.
- Englund may have played himself into the opening night lineup
- Lewis is a good fit on the 4th line and should give the team better depth and better PK
- Kempe is in midseason form. It's like he's not even trying and still scoring a goal a game

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laferriere has looked good since the rookie camp. I noticed him last year even. He make the team eventually. I'd say he'd make it this year if it wasn't for the cap issues. Unfortunately, I think he'll be sent down once Kaliyev's suspension is up.

Yup, he is looking solid. Kaliyev needs to be worried, this kid is everything he was supposed to be. Very noticeable, meshed well with PLD and Fiala, didn't miss a beat. I agree he may not be here now for cap reasons but he will be at some point this season and he may not go back down.

Good problem to have and honestly has put Arty Retardy on notice. Very impressed with Lafaerriere, solid two way player.

- Moore is looking more like the Moore of 2021-22 / That line still has good chemistry again.

Notice he isn't wearing the tinted visor anymore? That's straight up concussion equipment, if you've ever had one - I've had multiple - light is harsh and messes with your head down to the day to day functions. Still not a fan of the contract he got but if he returns to form I can live with that.

- Clarke will be sent down. He still needs more time to grow into the NHL game and that's not a bad thing

Exactly what I said. No reason to rush him, no need. He is not ready for NHL duty and it shows. Spend a season in Ontario, get a Black Ace call up and see how next season goes. Again though, read Teh Blog, he was the coming. He may very well be...but he isn't right now and needs professional experience in the AHL.
- Dubois and Fiala are building chemistry and if they continue to do so Puck and I can play on that line and produce.

Been watching these two, there is chemistry for sure. They feed off each other, and seeing them both bond in the melee last night was awesome. Different types of players but it's working.

And slow down cobra, you can stay on that line with them, I prefer to hang out in the crease, protect my goalie and punch people in the face.

=)~~
- Englund may have played himself into the opening night lineup

Yup. Called it weeks ago. I've read stuff how he's a pylon, well that "pylon" adds an element the Kings do not have. You think Clarke or Spence or Bjornfot are going to nasty it up and send a message? Nope, not those types of players.

Also said if you look at his contract, a second year at decent dollars was added for a reason - so no one claims him. It'll be 5/53 to open the season.

Bjornfot literally has done nothing and I would shop this guy. If he is waived someone will take a shot, but if you can even get a 3rd round pick at this point take it. He was house money in the 2019 draft on the Muzzin deal so whatever. I don't see anything but 6/7D in his future.
- Lewis is a good fit on the 4th line and should give the team better depth and better PK
Looks better than the first time he was here which is strange to say.
- Kempe is in midseason form. It's like he's not even trying and still scoring a goal a game

Buster needs to take notes.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarke, Laferriere and Turcotte assigned to Ontario.

Was hoping to see more of Turcotte.

Last edited: