• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Off Season Thread

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting this one for everything between the end of the playoffs to Opening Night including draft, trades, free agency, anything pertinent to the team headed into 2023-24. If you find something and think it's useful to share, please do and not just limited to the Kings since a bunch of stuff will come up I'm sure.

Saw this this morning, interesting read and different perspective on what appeared to be a solid 104 point season, second best in Kings history:

I read this one right after G6 from our favorite guy Dennis Bernstein over at TFP:

The interesting overlap to me in both articles is the underwhelming production of Byfield and just the Kings' overall prospect pool as well as using this year's 1st round pick to get two guys who may not even be here come July 1 when the Kings weren't really considered contenders and knew what the cap situation was going to be. Reminds me a lot of how Dumbo was torched for giving up 1sts for Sekera and Lucic but doesn't seem like Blake is held to the same standard. At least Dumbo was trying to keep the window open to win a third title.

I'd love for them to keep Gavrikov somehow but that means a bunch of players need to be moved which is easier said than done. Those Petersen and Moore contracts are really kicking Blake in the ass right about now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really good article on Kings cap situation and potential roster changes. Notably Trevor Moore and Mikey Andersen raises kick in. Villardi pay bump and potential Gavrikov signing. Article speculates $3mil for Villardi and maybe $5mil for Gavrikov. Logjam at forward and defense so speculation on moving Bjornfot, Walker on back end to free up spots and cap, namely for Brandt Clarke and or Spence or someone else. Front end, parting ways with a guy or two for same reasons. Then goaltending situation looks completely up in the air. I saw an Instagram post about Blake making a big splash for a goalie, so if he does, I'd imagine a few guys getting moved to make it all happen.

Also mentions both Byfield and Kaliyev have a year left on waivers, so they can both start on the Reign with no issue for another year, as popular or unpopular that might be.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw that announcement. I'm sort of about it. He'll land somewhere but I don't think he was a good fit. It was like watching him learn the game in real time.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been working national games. Likely ESPN or TNT will take him
They blamed the fact they don’t have a tv home and needed to cut costs.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s sad. Does anyone know what channel they will be on next season?

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NHL deal is going depend on the MLB deal.
Baseball is trying to control the rights to their games . Diamond sports wants both TV and streaming rights with the ability to have ads/programs before after and during games for gambling. They want live betting during the broadcast on the screen.
Baseball is were they make money and hockey is just filler between baseball.
NHL already sells out of market games on cable and online, they could easily change the geofence( how they restrict games) so local games are available.
It becomes a money thing.
Do they sell NHL to local markets or do they let local markets view for free and live off the ad money?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to hurl...

Attachments

• 20230613_201541.jpg
    20230613_201541.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Martinez to Quick handoff was nice I thought. Hate Vegas but they handed cup to Quick before even Adin Hill, which was amazing. Def did not have to do that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say Kings only have $1-2 mil left to get a goalie. Would you grab quick for cheap? I know Puck's answer, but just curious. And also, that bridge has probably been burned to the ground anyway.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings need a future goalie not a history one.
If at the deadline they can get a dependable veteran on an expiring contract for cheap, maybe.
If Quick came back on a 1 year deal for practically nothing I might not be too upset, if they can bury him in the AHL when he folds

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I love Quick and truly appreciate what he's done and meant to this franchise, he simply is not a viable option anymore. Not on an NHL roster anyway and that guy is too much of a warrior to whimper out in the minors.

I'm not a fan of how that all went down, but I was expecting him to not be extended this summer once his contract ran out regardless with the level of play he showed. If he was serviceable even in spot duty, sure a 1 year/<$1 million deal would have been great for a franchise legend for veteran support and leadership but he's not even backup quality anymore. Just too many miles on him with the way he played the game. There are more reliable options available albeit not at a $<1 million price point. If Korpisalo isn't resigned and if Quick was brought back, that Copley/Quick tandem would be bad. Copley is not a legitimate starter.

On a side note, his 10 year/$58 million deal seemed like it would last forever, hard to believe that's come to an end too. Looking back on my own life the last decade, so much has changed and happened when you look back.

Droppped off Ms. Puck II at school this morning, she will be starting HS next fall which felt kind of weird and Ms. Puck I will be 18 in October. Pretty crazy how a decade went by in the blink of an eye.

Last edited:

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked PLD and wanted him when he was being moved the 1st time. Now im on the fence as i am with Kings players as well. He just seems like he would become a headache at some point and i like to stay away from those dudes.

I would rather go after Soros from the Preds if we are gonna use up cap. Move Durzi and pull a couple names from a hat up front to move out. Get a body on the back end and someone who will keep everyone from taking liberties on all the tiny guys and roll into the season looking to see who steps up. Other than a couple guys im not to sure what LA really has.

Edit- im not sure the prospects are consistent or as hyped

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve never heard of this website before, but here’s their take on where Quick could land next season. The Kings aren’t one of the options.

Not gonna lie, these were pretty bad suggestions I think. Article basically said he'd be valuable on any team needing a starter, which is already kind of false. Otherwise, the one team I can think of that still needs a starter is.... LA. Article also said he has ties to the Bay Area because of his time in LA, which doesn't totally make sense either. I would hate to watch Quick just struggle on some garbage rebuild teams like Anaheim or San Jose, then be even older if they ever turn the corner.

The main team I see floated out there for him is as a backup for the Rangers. That was his team growing up, and everywhere I've seen this mentioned, the Rangers fans love it. I think they love him from how he played in 2014 against them. If he stays in Vegas, that seems to be pretty good for him too. I guess the main point the article is missing is he's most likely settling into a backup role, which is sort of what LA envisions for him behind Petersen. Quick-Petersen, then 50/50, then eventually Petersen-Quick.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flames gave Lucic's agent freedom to talk to other teams. Might not be the worst guy to bring back on cheap salary.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flames gave Lucic's agent freedom to talk to other teams. Might not be the worst guy to bring back on cheap salary.
I don’t think that he’s the same player that he was before. If anything I think he’d be playing on the bottom 6. And I don’t think he’s willing to take such a role.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think that he’s the same player that he was before. If anything I think he’d be playing on the bottom 6. And I don’t think he’s willing to take such a role.

He was B6 in Calgary but still played with the Lucic snarl. Sure, he's not 20/30/50 anymore like his one season in LA, but I don't recall a season since where the Kings didn't get rag dolled because they didn't have someone like him. Just look at Edmonton, Bjugstad ate The Lizard up on every damn shift along with everyone else on that line. Lucic's presence alone put fear in opposing teams in 2015-16.

I think he would be a great B6 addition again on a cheap salary if his role expectations are defined and he knows what he is here to do. He loved his time in LA too as he stated, the money just wasn't there at the time - the Gaborik deal ate that up the summer before.

The Kings have no freaking fourth line at all, let alone one with someone like him who would protect the team. Sign him for 1 year/$1.2 million and be done with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he potted 10 goals, not bad for a B6 role guy. He still plays hard and crashes the net.

Last edited: