• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steph Curry - First Unanimous MVP

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq
Kobe
AI
James
Curry

There's my list of truly transcendent players post MJ. Players that had their own universe in terms of individual greatness and popularity.

I would also add Dirk Nowitzki to this list.

Dirk is responsible for the Stretch 4 movement. We've never seen a guy with his size and shooting ability ever before. Teams tried like hell to draft the next Dirk in hopes to duplicate what he had been able to do. He's why Andrea Bargnani went #1 overall. He's also a big reason we saw an influx of Euro big men for a stretch of a few years before teams realized they were chasing after a once in a generation type player.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him, guy is such a great player and only getting better.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The East was really weak that year also. The only other good team that year was the Pistons

Even they were at the end of their rope with that core, hence breaking it up the very next year by trading Ben Wallace. After the Celtics emerged the Cavs got beat down until LeBron finally gave up in Cleveland.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no way.....Lebron got the '07 Cavs to the title series....there is no way in hell Curry gets that team to the Finals.

Curry is obviously a great player- he is 28 and already probably a hall of famer....2 mvp's, 1 title...

but even now- id take LeBron if I had one guy to start the team with....Curry obviously is amazing- and I think its a 1a, 1b situation....but LeBron elevates anyone and everyone at a level I just dont think Curry is capable of.

Well what about the 73 win warriors? I heard that team is pretty good

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this the right thread to remind everyone that Lebron is so good he's afraid to play a full season in the West...

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this the right thread to remind everyone that Lebron is so good he's afraid to play a full season in the West...

From what I've learned on here, any and all threads relate to Lebron some how.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The MVP voting process allowed for the first unanimous MVP because the votes are now disclosed to the Public. In Lebron's case where he should have been unanimous, the guy who voted for Melo voluntarily wrote why he voted for Melo. Not sure what happened in Shaq's case.

Now that the votes are public, it creates more of "do the right thing" versus holding your own personal biases for the voting process. Like I'm sure out there some writer believes Kawhi was the MVP because of his defense, but couldn't/wouldn't vote him first for fear of backlash.

Know this post/thread is old, but this is spot on. Gary Payton spoke for an article that pretty much said the exact same thing. Now that votes are public, you have the Internet, it's ridiculously easy to see media backlash, you can no longer just vote for someone else to play Devil's Advocate.. because honestly it'd probably get you fired these days lol.... or less job advancement at work. Gary Washburn was ridiculed by quite a few people for his Melo selection and it was obviously at the time stupid and completely dumb.

By Washburn's logic, James should've been the unanimous MVP basically every year he was in Cleveland before going to Miami.

Just a complete buffoon.

Curry deserved unanimous MVP, but he shouldn't be the first. Not by a long stretch. It's just that the voters are finally pulling their heads out of their arses which is entirely because it's public these days... and the one guy who did go public is basically ignored in any serious sports discussion these days because of his dumb vote and even dumber reasoning.

Seriously, google the guy and like 1/3 of the threads are his dumbass decision. Nobody wants that crap on them going forward.

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the first to get it but not the first person who was deserving of it. Like somebody said, there is always some idiot who votes for someone else. He's the better shooter I've ever seen but he's not the best player on the planet. Kid can shoot but there is a thing called defense too. He's not a great defender but he's decent.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a Most Outstanding Player award. An MOP should be more unanimous. But if you think Cleveland would be in much worse shape losing Lebron than GS would be losing Curry, then you should vote for Lebron.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the issue is valuable and outstanding are really tough to truly separate. And I think the award does and should bring some of both of those into the equation.

I am fine with Curry being the unanimous MVP, he deserved it, and like Payton said, he got it because reporters are less and less likely to make a statement with their vote which I am fine with them not doing as well.

I remember a few years ago, Lebron got all the votes, but 1, which some NY writer gave to Carmelo Anthony. Honestly I think at that point the NBA should ask that guy why he thought Melo was more valuable than Bron, and if he couldn't give a realistic reason, he shouldn't be allowed to vote again, ever. End of story if you aren't voting for who you think is MVP, then why give you a vote? I want to say even in his article about why he said Lebron was the MVP but he voted for Melo because of his own reasons.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've learned on here, any and all threads relate to Lebron some how.

LeBron inserted himself into the topic when he decided to talk about Curry winning MVP. You know, for a guy who hates the media so much he sure does love talking to them. Cries whenever they twist his words yet makes their jobs so easy.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the issue is valuable and outstanding are really tough to truly separate. And I think the award does and should bring some of both of those into the equation.

I am fine with Curry being the unanimous MVP, he deserved it, and like Payton said, he got it because reporters are less and less likely to make a statement with their vote which I am fine with them not doing as well.

I remember a few years ago, Lebron got all the votes, but 1, which some NY writer gave to Carmelo Anthony. Honestly I think at that point the NBA should ask that guy why he thought Melo was more valuable than Bron, and if he couldn't give a realistic reason, he shouldn't be allowed to vote again, ever. End of story if you aren't voting for who you think is MVP, then why give you a vote? I want to say even in his article about why he said Lebron was the MVP but he voted for Melo because of his own reasons.

I think it's also fair to look at value more broadly. Just lookin at value to one's team is too narrow. Curry sold the most jerseys and is the biggest reason for the league's popularity right now. Most of the league looks like they are trying to emulate his approach to pace and three-point shooting. He's the most important player in the game today.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is a lot of back and forth on this topic. They were discussing it on PTI a couple weeks ago and I think it was Larry Brown who suggested the award is mis-named. It should be most outstanding player instead of most valuable.

Curry was most outstanding for sure. He did things nobody has ever seen before and set the NBA world on fire. That said, I bet the Warriors would have won 60 games without him. In fact, you can even make a strong case that BOTH Klay and Draymond are every bit as valuable because of their defensive prowess. I mean really. Klay shut down Westbrook in game 1 and Ibaka in game 2. How many guys are versatile enough to do that?

You take LeBron off the Cavs and I am not sure they make the playoffs. He is the most valuable in terms of wins created by a wide margin, IMO, but if we are talking about most outstanding he isn't even really in the conversation.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Disagree. I don't think it's that tough at all. Curry was the best player in the league, no doubt. But I can think of several who were more valuable to their team than Curry.

Imo, there should be 2 awards. Player of the Year and Most Valuable Player. Some years, it might be the same guy, most years, it probably wouldn't.

This year, Curry would have been player of the year and then maybe Lebron, Lillard or someone else would have been MVP.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a lot of back and forth on this topic. They were discussing it on PTI a couple weeks ago and I think it was Larry Brown who suggested the award is mis-named. It should be most outstanding player instead of most valuable.

Curry was most outstanding for sure. He did things nobody has ever seen before and set the NBA world on fire. That said, I bet the Warriors would have won 60 games without him. In fact, you can even make a strong case that BOTH Klay and Draymond are every bit as valuable because of their defensive prowess. I mean really. Klay shut down Westbrook in game 1 and Ibaka in game 2. How many guys are versatile enough to do that?

You take LeBron off the Cavs and I am not sure they make the playoffs. He is the most valuable in terms of wins created by a wide margin, IMO, but if we are talking about most outstanding he isn't even really in the conversation.

Lebron, Dame, CP3.....

But, Curry would still be in the Conversation.

Yes, they'd still win a ton of regular Season games...

But, without Curry there would be no ring.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. I don't think it's that tough at all. Curry was the best player in the league, no doubt. But I can think of several who were more valuable to their team than Curry.

Imo, there should be 2 awards. Player of the Year and Most Valuable Player. Some years, it might be the same guy, most years, it probably wouldn't.

This year, Curry would have been player of the year and then maybe Lebron, Lillard or someone else would have been MVP.

Paul George gets a mention because they are praying for ping pong balls without him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul George gets a mention because they are praying for ping pong balls without him.

Agree. That's why I think they need 2 awards. Him, Dame and Lebron are more valuable to their teams and I'll bet we could come up with 1 or 2 more if we gave it some thought.