• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steph Curry - First Unanimous MVP

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In basketball? Hell no. I'm not sure I could name 12 NBA players period. Current or past.

Yeah in basketball. Didn't realize ya don't follow the NBA. The answer is Nate Thurmond & Gus Johnson.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What up, Mecca?

As you well know, I don't know shit about basketball, but last week I spent some time with a high school basketball coach from Missouri who has been the head coach of a team that has won the state championship. With those credentials, he knows more about basketball than most of us (certainly me), and is not biased between Curry or James.

I asked him two questions.

1) Age/position in career arcs notwithstanding, if you could pick either player who do you take?

It wasn't a fast answer. He said that the Warriors have a perfectly complementary style of play for Curry's abilities. He thought Curry is clearly the better shooter, but needs a team built around his style. He said he thinks Lebron is more versatile and has a significant physical advantage. Ultimately, he said he'd take Lebron.

2) If you cloned Curry and replaced Lebron on the 2014/2015 Cavs with one of the Currys, would they have as much success as the Lebron Cavs had.

This was a fast answer. No.

That's all I've got.

Slinkster!

In those scenarios, I agree with both.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
psh...6 year mark....

Curry is like 3 years younger than Lebron...

when Curry was playing Mercer and Denison LeBron was making 1st team all nba's.

and yes- i hope this is construed as good natured trash talk for what i think everyone HOPES is the eventual NBA Finals.

That's how I'm taking it.

I would love to see that Finals matchup.

I'm sure the NBA does too.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slinkster!

In those scenarios, I agree with both.

That said, awesome that Curry got the unanimous MVP.

I watch very little basketball, but when I see him play, I always think it looks so cool how he seems to just chuck the ball up all nonchalant and it goes in every time. On the flip side though, the way he chews his mouth guard makes me want to pistol whip him.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
psh...6 year mark....

and yes- i hope this is construed as good natured trash talk for what i think everyone HOPES is the eventual NBA Finals.
Which is exactly why the comparison is ridiculous at this point.

LBJ had his time when he was on top- but like the other greats it's time for him to take a seat and applaud the next generation of greats.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slinky!!!! :wave:

you-say-he-s-just-a-friend-xd-o.gif

How's it going, LAD? Cute kiddo in your avi.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
psh...6 year mark....

And look at him now....kicking Lebron's ass in the Finals. Another beating, and we can say year after year. :D

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Curry got hit by a bus tomorrow would he make the hall of fame? i think you could make cases for both...though the against is probably a better case.

If Bron got hit by a bus tomorrow he is already top 10 of all time. And the bus would be FUCKED UP.
Curry would definitely get in. I've seen players with lesser resumes than this get in. But moving on, this whole comparison is really starting to sound Kobe/Lebronish without the 5 titles. The whole talk about let's compare Kobe and Lebron's legacies when Bron retires applies here....only difference is Curry is rapidly approaching everything significant that Bron has done. I THINK the only thing left is the 2 mvp's assuming Curry gets another chip. Also, we never got that Finals face off with Kobe and Lebron, but if Curry goes back to back against Lebron(with both teams at full strength), I don't know if it puts Curry ahead of Lebron, but it sure drives the argument closer to his direction

EDIT-and by ahead of Lebron, I mean legacy...as for the here and now, Curry has taken over as the best player in the league

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As he should be.

This Dude just keeps one upping Lebron.

If his body holds up, my goodness.

To be fair LeBron should have been unanimous in 2013, just as Shaq should have been unanimous in 2000. And how did Jordan never win unanimously?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Curry got hit by a bus tomorrow would he make the hall of fame? i think you could make cases for both...though the against is probably a better case.

If Bron got hit by a bus tomorrow he is already top 10 of all time. And the bus would be FUCKED UP.

Obviously true but it's also obvious that assuming a normal career length Curry is a shoo in for the HOF

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Kawhi deserved it the most too. Remember when he couldn't shoot worth a lick in his rookie year!? Whoever is the Spurs shooting coach is a savior.

I'm starting to believe his ceiling could be a Scottie Pippen's.

He's already at Pippen level, and I say this as a Bulls fan long ago.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said, awesome that Curry got the unanimous MVP.

I watch very little basketball, but when I see him play, I always think it looks so cool how he seems to just chuck the ball up all nonchalant and it goes in every time. On the flip side though, the way he chews his mouth guard makes me want to pistol whip him.

The mouthguard thing is like Jordan's tongue.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair LeBron should have been unanimous in 2013, just as Shaq should have been unanimous in 2000. And how did Jordan never win unanimously?

Oh, yeah....I agree.

Jordan played in the Glamour Era of the NBA.

There were so many good players.

Plus, votes were anonymous...lol