• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sox at the Trade Deadline

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read that the Sox are scouting both Jake Peavy and Francisco Rodiguez. To that, I have just one answer: NO. Please....

I haven't liked Peavy since he turned down a trade a while ago to an A.L. team because he said he didn't want to pitch in the A.L. He later then accepted a trade to the Chisox, but I think it was a year or so later.

I just don't think this guy has the guts to pitch in the A.L. East, in the thick of a pennant race. It was easy in San Diego, with the laid back fans and weak-ass division. The fans and media of Boston will crush this guy.

As for K-Rod: He is pitching well right now, because his innings are low from not playing early in the season. His stuff is not what it was, and we don't need another Hanrahan in the back end of our bullpen.

The Sox should check on the price for Bud Norris, and if it's reasonable, pull the trigger on him. He is still under team control for another 2 seasons. By reasonable, I mean don't trade Bogaerts, Bradley, Webster, Barnes, Ranaudo, Owens, Cecchini, Workman or B. Johnson.

I would give up Bryce Brentz, and a mid-level prospect pitcher.

poprocksncoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on targeting Norris.

They should trade Iggy now, his value will never be higher........

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO to trading away Iglesias. He probably hasn't reached his prime yet, and it's players who are
getting PAST their primes you want to trade if you want to be in contention every year.

Breslow, Dempster, or Napoli maybe, but there's no hurry even with them.

If the deadline passes with us not trading anyone it will be no big deal. We're winning with what we've got,
so why mess with the team chemistry?

poprocksncoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO to trading away Iglesias. He probably hasn't reached his prime yet, and it's players who are
getting PAST their primes you want to trade if you want to be in contention every year.

Breslow, Dempster, or Napoli maybe, but there's no hurry even with them.

If the deadline passes with us not trading anyone it will be no big deal. We're winning with what we've got,
so why mess with the team chemistry?

I disagree, maybe he hasnt reached his prime but he is playing wayyyyy over his head. When he comes back down to earth they will get nothing for him.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Krod of the board.. anyone else they rumored to be lookling at.. what about king .. not really interested in peavy .. maybe peavy at the right price..

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stay away from Peavy but the Red Sox do need a closer. but they had better not go rushing into getting one ala Hanrahan... Thornton hasn't worked out that well either. who else do they really have to play shortstop in the future? they must STOP the revolving door at this position and actually let someone settle down in said position! 2ndbase is locked in for a long time so thats great! 3rd is a question mark... Though Iggy can go there. Victorino's health is a concern... So another outfielder would be nice... but I really want a closer.. Uehera has been great so far but not sure he can keep it up

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I thought Iglesias was playing over his head I wouldn't object to trading him.

Where closer is concerned, lets not be too quick to give up on Uehara. He's done well there so far.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I thought Iglesias was playing over his head I wouldn't object to trading him.

Where closer is concerned, lets not be too quick to give up on Uehara. He's done well there so far.

I'm not giving up on Uehara just don't think that's his position on this team. Right now he has been pitching lights out

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been doing better as a closer than anyone else we've tried this year.

For my money it's his position until further notice.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been doing better as a closer than anyone else we've tried this year.

For my money it's his position until further notice.

Yes I know... I just have a bad feeling that it will change.... After all he really isn't a closer, though he is currently pitching like one

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasn't been a closer prior to this year I don't believe, but that is irrelevant. He's doing the job, so we should leave well enough alone.

General3110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With this being my first post I don't want people to get the wrong idea that I always have off-the-wall ideas but I think we can solve our problems in one trade. Now I have no idea what it would take to get them but, I would love to see them go & get Halladay, Young & Papelbon. Obviously it won't happen w/ all the salary involved & the fact that Halladay is hurt but it would help us. Young would be the 3B the rest of the year & probably bat 6th giving us another solid bat (career .300 AVG, 15 HRS/YR) w/ok defense. Halladay isn't healthy now but, if he was he would end up being the 4th starter. Papelbon would be the closer w/ Uehara, Tazawa, De La Torre, Thornton/Britton/Breslow rounding out the bullpen. Also trade Drew to a team for a couple of AA guys. Then you could play Jose at SS & keep Snyder or Holt on the bench. Drew & Jose are bottom of the order guys who play great defense but Young would be an upgrade over Drew w/ his bat. Philly will rid themselves of both Young & Halladay at the end of the year but atleast this way they can get something for them. Hopefully if we take the 3 maybe they would take Lackey to offset the salary. We would have to really sweeten the deal but hell it might be worth it w/ what they could bring to this team. Crazy yes but anything is possible at the deadline. Also on a lighter note I'm really glad to be here instead of ESPN. I hated the ESPN ones, I never really posted on them but I would read them because of how often I would be on the site. Happy to see that their are more intelligent fans here & I can't wait for the reply's back I'll get w/ my sometimes idiotic posts.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be more interested in unloading Aceves for some young guys myself.

We're in good shape in the infield with the versatile people we have, but Aceves, to me,
is someone you use as little as possible.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aceves was outrighted to Pawtucket right? and then he got mad down there and isn't he on the DL down there? What a mess...considering the Astros just let Veras go to the Tigers, it's nuts the Sox didn't see that one. I am ok with Uehara myself, and every time I see a Rangers lineup I am annoyed we didn't sign Beltre long term...need the left side of the infield if anything, Stephen Drew, ugh...I do like Napoli, but we really need to get him some batting help with all of those K's.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I've said in other threads Beltre was just to inconsistent with the glove to suit me. And seemed most likely to butcher a play with the tying or lead run in scoring position. We're better off without him all things considered.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I've said in other threads Beltre was just to inconsistent with the glove to suit me. And seemed most likely to butcher a play with the tying or lead run in scoring position. We're better off without him all things considered.

same can be said with Napoli. Halladay I do not want either.... He is declining and the Red Sox don't need that contract

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox look to be in the hunt for Cliff Lee. I am not opposed to that, but I am greatly opposed to including Xander Bogaerts, and Philly is currently insisting on him.

If I were Cherington (I am sure he is much nicer than me), I would tell Ruben Amaro he can keep Lee and his $87mm and his losing team with little farm system unless he wakes up.
Why should the Sox trade top prospects AND pay Lee $87mm over the next 3 seasons?

That clown Ken Rosenthal says the Sox should do it, and says it is comparable to the Sox dealing Hanley to the Marlins in 2006, but he is way off base.

When we got Beckett in 2006, it was in the beginning of the season, to not only give us a frontline pitcher, but to give us one for years to come. Beckett was also about 26 years old. Lee will be 35 next month. BIG difference.

Also - there were questions about Hanley's maturity and ability to stay at SS. Though there are questions about Bogaerts not sticking at SS long term, he has no such character issues. Reports have also said he could remain at SS for the next few years, before moving to 3B or OF.

There is also no guarantee that the Sox win the WS with Cliff Lee. After all, he lost with the Phillies in 2009, and again with the Rangers in 2010. He makes them better, yes, but nothing is guaranteed. Remember our 2011 team? I would hate to part with Bogaerts AND not win the World Series.

The Sox should offer Middlebrooks, and either Workman, Barnes, or Ranaudo, along with a lower level prospect like Keury De La Cruz or Mookie Betts, and say take it or leave it.

The Sox can afford to deal Middlebrooks, as we still have Garin Cecchini in AA. This guy is a hitter, and profiles WAY better than Middlebrooks. Bogaerts can also play 3B.

Why are teams so afraid to turn to youth in a pennant race? Sure, there is inexperience, but sometimes they can provide a jolt and enthusiasm. It is surely no worse than trading for a guy like Michael Young. Insert Bogaerts at 3B, and we get better, younger, and more athletic. Just because Young is a veteran doesn't make him better.

Same with the bullpen. Call up Rubby De la Rosa for the stretch run. Or trade for a back end starter and move Workman to the bullpen. Young, fresh, power arms are what teams crave. We have them, and we should better utilize them.

The Sox are set up very well for 2014 and beyond. They shouldn't throw it away on something that has more of a chance of failing than succeeding..

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good points rokket i was about to post something similar but not near the depth..

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't believe he was outrighted, only sent down for a rehabilitation stretch.

He didn't take it very well in any case.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee is 34 years old and we got enough prospects from the Dodgers last off-season
to suit me, so I'd pass on him unless Philly offers him cheaper than is at all likely.