• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Southern @ AZ

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the season rolls on.

Great win at Michigan. Like I wrote on that board, I think that Michigan will beat some ranked teams at home this year, and we will be able to hang our hat on that win (along with the Duke game, and the SDSU game). But, as sweet as it was, it's back to Tucson, for another game on Thursday. Forgive me for saying this, but it looks like this game will be a nice relaxing win. I know that Miller and the team won't treat it as such, but SU only has two wins this year, and one is against a DII team. ANd , as a fan, I can kick my feet up, as they play the game. So I look forward to AZ being able to give their starters a much deserved rest for much of the second half. Let's get York, Korchek, Peters, Pitts, and Mayes in there to work on their minutes, and develop some more before the Pac season starts. Hell, put Hazzard in and let him make it rain!!!

I like that AZ has some weak opponents in SU and NAU over the holidays. It lets the team reset and re-focus from the non-conference, and gear back up for the Pac. Again, I'm not saying that Miller necessarily tells the guys that, but that's what's going to happen. If the starters play more than 60 minutes in the next two games, I will be shocked and disappointed.

Great stretch in the non conference. Looks like we are headed for our second consecutive undefeated non-conference regular season. Job well done. Men, take us home to the Pac schedule, #1 ranking in hand! :suds:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These next two games are a perfect time for York, Pitts, RHJ, Korchek, and Peters to get some extended time. (I only add RHJ because I think he should get some bonus run with the second unit during blowouts)

Zona_Men

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said CTP. Here is hoping Tarc is doing better after that ankle issue! I hope the next two games are easy, because our guys could use the rest after such a tough non conference schedule.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said CTP. Here is hoping Tarc is doing better after that ankle issue! I hope the next two games are easy, because our guys could use the rest after such a tough non conference schedule.

I really think that it would be fine with me if Zeus doesn't even play the next two games, just because he doesn't need to, and it would be good to give him the time off to make sure he is good coming back. Can't afford to rush his recovery.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with everyone, Michigan game was a great win, and these next two come at the perfect time to get some starters rested and some of the reserves more PT.

While it will be important to have Korcheck and Peters comfortable to come in for some emergency minutes, I am especially hoping that Miller finds a way to work Elliot Pitts into the mix. Don't sleep on that kid, he has incredible poise for his age, makes the right plays at the right time. He has the type of game where he will eventually be able to play the 1, 2, or 3. No doubt in my mind he is going to be a very good college basketball player.

BTW, in case anybody missed yesterday's Michigan game (or wants to watch some/all of it again), here is a full-replay of the game on Vimeo.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I'd really like to see Korcheck get some big time minutes this week. I think depth is our primary issue this season, especially the front court. Just look at yesterday; when Kaleb went down, Ashley and Gordon rotated over, which actually changed the game in our favor IMO, however, we need another guy to give our bigs a break and/or come in if they get into foul trouble.

I've watched videos of Korcheck and I've been impressed with his agility and jump shot. I'm surprised that he hasn't played more than he has to be honest. Not sure what his downfall has been thus far, perhaps confidence??? Anyhow, my pick of the week goes to Korcheck. F it, I say START the guy! Yes, I said START him and see what he can do. Give him all of Kaleb's minutes and give him the confidence playing starter minutes against lower competition and who knows, it may be the spark that lights the fire! BTFD #1

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Mayes, York, Pitts, Peters, and Korchek all start. I think they would still win. And if they fall behind, then Miller can rotate in the actual starters and RHJ. If it looks like the guys are doing well (which I really think they would), then Miller could rotate in the walkons. I actually think they could extend a lead.

I seriously doubt that Miller would do it. I think he goes with the starters, and then rotates in from there. I also think that unless Zeus can't go, he will start. But I would assume that he would be the first to leave the game. Miller could rotate over with BA, and AG at the 4, and then go to the bench with Korchek and them Peters after that.

But, I think the 7-11 guys could win this game starting.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at the end of the year the Drexel win is going to look pretty good too. Drexel has only lost to AZ and UCLA and barely to both. They are 7-2 and could end up Champs in their conference.

I'd like to see more of the bench guys get minutes but not until the game is out of reach. Should never get too confident.

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anybody watching the end of this texas at unc game? These espn commentors are clowns. And that was a bs call by the refs on that so called dead ball foul. But these commentators are as blind as bats.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zeus out tonight. Apparently he might be out until conference play.

Zona_Men

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA is a great offensive team at times, defensively they just don't cut it.

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need ucla to win. But of course them being ucla they'll most likely lose.

Zona_Men

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need ucla to win. But of course them being ucla they'll most likely lose.

I would tend to agree with you, but considering how Arizona beat Duke already, UCLA winning or losing shouldn't effect Arizona's standing much at all.

Zona_Men

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up 16 and the coach's intensity is awesome to see. I can tell one of Sean's biggest pet peeves is when a defender doesn't close out on a guard. It's great because it's only going to make our guys better, Sean's leadership is going to continue to trickle down and teach our guys to not take a play off.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should be up by more at this point, but I like how we held them under 20 points for the first half.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 26-point thrashing sounds about right. Holding strong at #1. Go Cats!