• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sources: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just listened to Peter King on ESPN radio, and he was saying that one of the main reasons the whole story came out- was to make Mike Lombardi and other member's of the Brown's current and former staff look better. They can say that they tried hard to get a great coach like Harbaugh- even discussed the possibility of a trade for him. Now their head coaching search debacle doesn't look so bad in the public eye.

He also said he doesn't think the problems between Harbaugh and Baalke will come to head until next off season. Thinks they'll do their jobs well and it won't be a problem until then.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question and only a question, IF we traded Harbs (I don't want to), what could we realistically get in return?

I think we can grab J. Gordon and 1st next year and 2nd this year. maybe some garbage picks at the end of the draft to go along. Cleveland already said they aren't trading this years 1st.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just as depressed as you are. Initially, I thought this was just the media hyping things up. But after seeing Jed admit that there were some discussions especially AFTER he denied the original report is not helping the situation. It would've been way better for the Niners to come forward and say "the browns approached and we said no." Instead they tried to play dumb as if nothing happened.

On a side note: why would the Browns' owner even try to confirm the reports. That can't be a good endorsement of their current coach. It's like saying: "Oh yea Mike Pettine, you were our 2nd choice."

The Niners did the same thing regarding Peyton Manning. They could've just said, "it's Peyton freaking Manning." Instead, they had to act like it didn't happen.

As far as the Browns current coach, I'm pretty sure he knows that he wasn't the first choice anyway. Even without the Harbaugh thing. As far as saying that going for Harbaugh meant they weren't confident in the Browns current coach is like saying that going for Peyton Manning meant that they weren't confident not only in Alex Smith but also not confident in Kaepernick being ready before Peyton would hang it up. Kaepernick's contract would run out before that. Is Kaepernick an Osweiller, content with waiting? I don't think so, he might have wanted to leave. But it's Peyton freaking Manning, just like it's Jim Harbaugh. The Browns went for lesser coaches that Harbaugh obviously before Pettine.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Niners did the same thing regarding Peyton Manning. They could've just said, "it's Peyton freaking Manning." Instead, they had to act like it didn't happen.

As far as the Browns current coach, I'm pretty sure he knows that he wasn't the first choice anyway. Even without the Harbaugh thing. As far as saying that going for Harbaugh meant they weren't confident in the Browns current coach is like saying that going for Peyton Manning meant that they weren't confident not only in Alex Smith but also not confident in Kaepernick being ready before Peyton would hang it up. Contract would run out before that. But it's Peyton freaking Manning, just like it's Jim Harbaugh. The Browns went for lesser coaches that Harbaugh obviously before Pettine.

For the record. I think most coaches who are hired deep down know or at least SHOULD realize they weren't the first choice. You just don't see it talked about with some teams. That part of the process is often over complained about by those with emotional ties to the process IMO.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the 49ers lied. I think the truth is Cleveland came to the 49ers and York and Baalke let them talk and then when they were done they were like nope we aren't trading him. Upper management has to listen to offers about everyone, if not they aren't doing their job. That's like if a teams asked about Kap or Willis. 49ers would have to listen but in the end they will just say he isn't available. Only way Kap or willis would be traded if a team traded their whole draft and even with that 49ers might say no.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
THis story just needs to gtfo...

I got no problem giving hardbaughlls more money. He obviously deserves more from reaching the conference championship game 3 consecutive seaons. He also needs to realize he does not deserve to be paid as a Super Bowl winning coach with out a ring on that finger. I think its more than fair to offer him a 4 year extension with a value in the 7.5m per year also compensating his next two years at that level. so in essence it becomes a 6 year contract at 7.5m... more than fair imo..

Now comes the interesting part if he is demanding control relating to player acquisition(whether draft/sign/trade/extend)

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I haven't been as locked in on it as I probably should be but I heard Schefter say that the trade was "centered" around a 2nd round pick. As late as this morning I haven't heard/read many fans talk about that little nugget and continue to read that multiple 1st-round picks need to be apart of anything in their eyes.

I've read and continue to read that many in the Bay Area are saying the 49ers were not too excited with what the Browns were discussing as compensation no matter how serious either side was about entering trade negotiations. Others outside the Bay Area have been tossing around the idea that the 49ers were actually considering that type of deal.

For me the thing I wonder most about is how serious were and ARE they about centering a trade around a SECOND round pick. Would and is that something they would settle for in the very end IF they actually got into serious trade talks? Granted it would depend on the emotional situation they currently sit in with Harbaugh at that time. Just thought the "centered around a 2nd round pick" part was one of the more noteworthy and interesting things to come out of this but so much is still unknown.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If the browns would only offer up a señor as the base of this trade, that, to me, doesn't look they they were trying. If you want to grab a coach that has done what Harbs has with the niners, and you only throw out a second, you look like a fool. IF this is true, just another reason to laugh at the Browns.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been as locked in on it as I probably should be but I heard Schefter say that the trade was "centered" around a 2nd round pick. As late as this morning I haven't heard/read many fans talk about that little nugget and continue to read that multiple 1st-round picks need to be apart of anything in their eyes.

I've read and continue to read that many in the Bay Area are saying the 49ers were not too excited with what the Browns were discussing as compensation no matter how serious either side was about entering trade negotiations. Others outside the Bay Area have been tossing around the idea that the 49ers were actually considering that type of deal.

For me the thing I wonder most about is how serious were and ARE they about centering a trade around a SECOND round pick. Would and is that something they would settle for in the very end IF they actually got into serious trade talks? Granted it would depend on the emotional situation they currently sit in with Harbaugh at that time. Just thought the "centered around a 2nd round pick" part was one of the more noteworthy and interesting things to come out of this but so much is still unknown.

Just a 2nd round pick? Screw that!!! If Harbaugh went to the Browns I would expect Josh Gordon, Joe Haden and a first round draft pick or even 2. Because that is the value of Harbaugh.

He isn't going anywhere though, they need to kick out baalke if it has to come down to that.

Based

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course not.. no one wants to hear spouted ignorance
Ignorance?lol its the truth you dummy. A lot of 49er fans will be very upset with ownership and the organization if or when Harbaugh leaves.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How did the Jim Harbaugh-Trent Baalke breach open up? Let?s go back through it: Owen Marecic, A.J. Jenkins, Aldon Smith? ? Talking Points

* Harbaugh never asked for personnel powers during those negotiations and he hasn’t asked recently, I’m told.

* They are totally different kinds of football maniacs, and I mean “maniac” in a positive way, yes I do.

They’re both incredibly driven, incredibly intense football-lifers, who are consumed by the sport and by the pursuit of victory, with very strong and mostly similar ideas of how to do it, and that’s how they’ve built to the 49ers to this high standing so quickly and so lastingly.

But when two football maniacs start butting heads, they also have nowhere else to go in the relationship. You think they’re going to go watch movies together or hold cook-outs? Nope.

Football is the only thing for both men and when they begin to disagree on football matters, even the littlest things become epic battlegrounds and the guy who loses the battle remembers it forever, so it only builds towards the next battle and the next one…

Bill Polian talked about this at length this week and how it happens all the time with personnel men and coaches but how you get through these "epic battlegrounds" and handle the next ones are the key points.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How did the Jim Harbaugh-Trent Baalke breach open up? Let?s go back through it: Owen Marecic, A.J. Jenkins, Aldon Smith? ? Talking Points

* Harbaugh never asked for personnel powers during those negotiations and he hasn’t asked recently, I’m told.

* They are totally different kinds of football maniacs, and I mean “maniac” in a positive way, yes I do.

They’re both incredibly driven, incredibly intense football-lifers, who are consumed by the sport and by the pursuit of victory, with very strong and mostly similar ideas of how to do it, and that’s how they’ve built to the 49ers to this high standing so quickly and so lastingly.

But when two football maniacs start butting heads, they also have nowhere else to go in the relationship. You think they’re going to go watch movies together or hold cook-outs? Nope.

Football is the only thing for both men and when they begin to disagree on football matters, even the littlest things become epic battlegrounds and the guy who loses the battle remembers it forever, so it only builds towards the next battle and the next one…

Bill Polian talked about this at length this week and how it happens all the time with personnel men and coaches but how you get through these "epic battlegrounds" and handle the next ones are the key points.

* One way Harbaugh has created some 49ers chaos: He can fall in and out of love very quickly with players, even some of the 49ers’ top players. I’ve heard he has occasionally stormed into personnel offices suddenly demanding that the team make dramatic changes, just like that.

The same way he reportedly has done at his other coaching stops...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I can only see us even thinking about this for a millisecond that if that second round pick was Josh Gordon....

On a more serious note, Cleveland has two first rounders this year. I assumed at a minimum one of those would be included in any negotiations, and likely a fair bit more. After all, Harbaugh has outperformed Gruden, and Gruden netted two firsts and two seconds.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If we got several picks I would be ok if this had happened. We'd be pretty stocked up.

But the fact that this didn't happen and now there's all the crap flying around in the media, that is a major PR screw up.

If you get into those discussions you should make it happen and everyone would be blindsided by it but so be it. If you get into those discussions and it does not happen then that is a major screw up.