• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sources: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I read, the more I feel he's a pain in the ass not worth the trouble

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim is crazy if he thinks he deserves to be thd highest paid coach. Hell as of right now Carroll will be getting a higher pay. That will piss him off immensely.

However he def deserves a raise. Just give it to him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim is crazy if he thinks he deserves to be thd highest paid coach. Hell as of right now Carroll will be getting a higher pay. That will piss him off immensely.

However he def deserves a raise. Just give it to him.

Carroll should wait for Harbaugh's deal and get a one up. ;)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I read, the more I feel he's a pain in the ass not worth the trouble

I wonder how Baalke is in private? He doesn't really have to go storming into any room because he has personnel power - but it doesn't mean he isn't maniacal about it.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The timing of this story sucks.

I hope it does not F up our draft. Baalke and Harbaugh should be in a media silence right now until this crap dies down. If they turn on ESPN all those bitches are talking about is Har-baalke.

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how Baalke is in private? He doesn't really have to go storming into any room because he has personnel power - but it doesn't mean he isn't maniacal about it.

It's the fact that harbaugh has been like this everywhere he's coached. There's no doubt in my mind he's a pain in the ass-- look how he acts on the sideline....

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The timing of this story sucks.

I hope it does not F up our draft. Baalke and Harbaugh should be in a media silence right now until this crap dies down. If they turn on ESPN all those bitches are talking about is Har-baalke.

I'm pretty sure they aren't watching ESPN. I'd guess that someone is watching ESPN in general from the organization to keep up, but not these guys.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
^ Great article.

not really, it is easy to say "pay the man". you can make Harbaugh the highest paid Coach, but is that going to fix the bigger problem?

it would be a great article if he had a decent recommendation for fixing the riff?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how I think it went down:

1. Harbaugh has been wanting an extension for a while. He wants to be paid like a SB winning coach, while Baalke/York want to wait UNTIL he wins a SB to give him that kind of money.

2. Harbaugh and Lombardi had a pre-existing relationship, so Harbaugh most likely initiated contact with the Browns to gain some leverage with the contract talks in SF.

3. The Browns then contacted the 49ers and put together a package that they can work around. Some details were probably ironed out but nothing TOO serious really happened.

4. The 49ers called Harbaugh's bluff and told him that it's if he wants to go to Cleveland, the 49ers will take the trade and let him go.

5. Harbaugh realized that, at the end of the day, coaching SF > Cleveland in every facet, including money in the future, and pulled the plug on the talks hoping that Baalke/York will now give him the money he wants now that there was a "threat" of him leaving.

Honestly, I don't think this is AS big of a deal as a lot of people in the media are making it seem (what else is new?).

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how I think it went down:

1. Harbaugh has been wanting an extension for a while. He wants to be paid like a SB winning coach, while Baalke/York want to wait UNTIL he wins a SB to give him that kind of money.

2. Harbaugh and Lombardi had a pre-existing relationship, so Harbaugh most likely initiated contact with the Browns to gain some leverage with the contract talks in SF.

3. The Browns then contacted the 49ers and put together a package that they can work around. Some details were probably ironed out but nothing TOO serious really happened.

4. The 49ers called Harbaugh's bluff and told him that it's if he wants to go to Cleveland, the 49ers will take the trade and let him go.

5. Harbaugh realized that, at the end of the day, coaching SF > Cleveland in every facet, including money in the future, and pulled the plug on the talks hoping that Baalke/York will now give him the money he wants now that there was a "threat" of him leaving.

Honestly, I don't think this is AS big of a deal as a lot of people in the media are making it seem (what else is new?).

I agree with that last statement. At least I'm hoping. Normally I think the media blows everything much bigger than it is. But we know how harbaugh is and how he seems to be too intense for people. Also usually a story like this drops quicker. Yet this has been ongoing. When I first heard the report about the browns wanting harbaugh it was hilarious and laughed it off. But it just won't go away, I'm sure it will but It's not fun lol.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I'm sure This gets blown up even more after seeing the biggest divisional rivals win thd Super Bowl that easy. Nobody is happy in niner hq after that. Especially after the chances we have had before them. It's disgusting I'm sure.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think talks went that deep. I think Browns went here is a package for Harbaugh and 49ers were like no way. Only way u trade harbaugh to the Browns is for J. Gordon and a 1st rd pick and maybe a 2nd rd pick. Harbaugh is a Top 3-5 coach in the League.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I totally agree with clyde's breakdown. Though I do also think there is enough strife in the front office, Harbaugh vs. seemingly everyone according to too many reports, that it played some role and made them listen a bit more seriously.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I totally agree with clyde's breakdown. Though I do also think there is enough strife in the front office, Harbaugh vs. seemingly everyone according to too many reports, that it played some role and made them listen a bit more seriously.

Except his coaching staff. Obviously I appreciate that the staff overall has done a very good job and has enjoyed tremendous success. But there have been major issues on offense - development/use of WRs, persistent inability to get the play off on time, development of the young QB, etc. - and we haven't seen Harbaugh make any volitional changes. He's basically just replaced guys who have left for other opportunities. I understand being loyal to your staff, but either some of these guys aren't hacking it, or Jim himself isn't.

I'd like to see us proactively attempt to upgrade the offensive coaching, especially at the WR position. I wonder if this is one area where the friction comes out, though. Harbaugh may think Baalke hasn't given him anything to work with at WR, and thus it's not Morton's and Roman's fault that they aren't getting anything from the position. Meanwhile, Baalke may look around the league and say, "Hey, every other team has gotten production from comparable players, including players that used to be on this team."

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except his coaching staff. Obviously I appreciate that the staff overall has done a very good job and has enjoyed tremendous success. But there have been major issues on offense - development/use of WRs, persistent inability to get the play off on time, development of the young QB, etc. - and we haven't seen Harbaugh make any volitional changes. He's basically just replaced guys who have left for other opportunities. I understand being loyal to your staff, but either some of these guys aren't hacking it, or Jim himself isn't.

I'd like to see us proactively attempt to upgrade the offensive coaching, especially at the WR position. I wonder if this is one area where the friction comes out, though. Harbaugh may think Baalke hasn't given him anything to work with at WR, and thus it's not Morton's and Roman's fault that they aren't getting anything from the position. Meanwhile, Baalke may look around the league and say, "Hey, every other team has gotten production from comparable players, including players that used to be on this team."

That's a pretty tough statement for a guy who's record is 41 and 14 since he got here. He is at the very least a big part of that record.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's a pretty tough statement for a guy who's record is 41 and 14 since he got here. He is at the very least a big part of that record.

As said, they've done a great job overall. But clearly there are areas that need improvement, and fairly dramatic improvement, if we're going to keep this success going. I see several discrete areas - primarily on offense - where we absolutely have to improve.

My biggest beef on the coaching staff by far is with Morton who, so far as I can tell, has done absolutely nothing to identify and develop talent at the WR position. When I say identify, I mean figure out which of the late-round picks, UDFAs, lesser FAs, etc., are worth keeping. Since Morton has gotten here, we have gotten good production from a 10th overall pick (Crabtree) and an established FA veteran starter (Boldin), decent production from an established FA veteran third receiver (Manningham), tolerable production from a mostly washed-up FA veteran superstar (Moss). In three years, Martin hasn't come close to developing a WR. Patton is basically the only receiver added while Morton was the coach who is still on the active roster. How this guy still has a job is one of the great mysteries to me, and if we continue to struggle at the WR position, ultimately that falls on Harbaugh.

The delay of game penalties/wasted TOs are also inexcusable, and show no signs of improvement. A penalty and a wasted TO/blown play cost us dearly in our playoff losses over the past two years (likely score a TD in the super bowl, or at least have 4th and one or two, if we didn't blow the Kap run against Baltimore; and Kap's 4th quarter fumble came immediately after a delay of game penalty turned 3rd and 1 into 3rd and 6 against the Hawks). I'm not saying that alone should lead to a firing, but you sure as shit have to fix that problem.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do agree that the offense has to get better especially redzone. I blame Roman the most on those situations. I just hope they don't get pass happy to start the year like they did last year. Also Oline didn't do a good job towards the end of the season in Run blocking. Goodwin was really bad and Iupati was hurt.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I do agree that the offense has to get better especially redzone. I blame Roman the most on those situations. I just hope they don't get pass happy to start the year like they did last year. Also Oline didn't do a good job towards the end of the season in Run blocking. Goodwin was really bad and Iupati was hurt.

no question it is the red zone offense, but easier said than done.

Kaep's weakness in the passing arena shows up more in the RZ. his skill set is great between the 20's, and hence looks fantastic and explosive. but in the Red Zone he limits what Roman can call on the passing side.

if Kaep could throw short better, throw over middle better, make even quicker decisions, no doubt Roman would call more varied passes (in the RZ).

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no question it is the red zone offense, but easier said than done.

Kaep's weakness in the passing arena shows up more in the RZ. his skill set is great between the 20's, and hence looks fantastic and explosive. but in the Red Zone he limits what Roman can call on the passing side.

if Kaep could throw short better, throw over middle better, make even quicker decisions, no doubt Roman would call more varied passes (in the RZ).

Thats a hard one to figure out...

In 2011 the 49ers were ranked 30th in the league in RZ TD%

In 2012 and 2013 they jumped up to 15th in the league...

So to go from almost deadlast in 2011 to the top half of the rankings the last two seasons is a decent turn around...

There is still room for improvement, but there has been a sizable difference the last two seasons...

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats a hard one to figure out...

In 2011 the 49ers were ranked 30th in the league in RZ TD%

In 2012 and 2013 they jumped up to 15th in the league...

So to go from almost deadlast in 2011 to the top half of the rankings the last two seasons is a decent turn around...

There is still room for improvement, but there has been a sizable difference the last two seasons...

very true. Good post but with the players we have we should be in the Top 8 at least. It seems like Roman goes away from the run game when we get to the redzone (examples Super Bowl last drive and the last drive of seattle game.) They like to go for it all right away.