• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sources: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget, they'd have been one and done if the GB safety doesn't drop the pick that was right in his hands on the final drive.

He earned getting to the SB last year, but if the defense didn't make the red zone stand against Atlanta (or Ryan fumbling the snap the previous possession) we wouldn't have gotten there. So we could have lost without fault like you imply that we won a game that should have had fault.

Convoluted enough? I can make it moreso if you'd like. ;)

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this has already been posted, but here is the list of coaches salaries.
Coaches Salaries NFL

I think Harbaugh can make a very legitimate case that he is better than all but 5-6 of the top coaches, he should get a bump, regardless of his defects.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boldin commented and said there is no rift

BOB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What this is about is the profootball talk's of the world being upset because Harbaugh and Baalke don't kiss thier behinds like the Pete Carroll's of the world. If Harbaugh kiss thier butt. They wouldn't make up stories. Plain and simple. The media can't stand our 49ers.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too, even if some of it is a little posturing and/or putting a brave face on things, it's still good.

Me three. I'm sure Harbaugh is somewhat of a pain in the ass and/or hard to deal with. Most brilliant and wildly successful people are.

However, I also wonder how many of these stories and writers not letting up stems from their hatred of Harbaugh for how he has treated them over the years. Bring him down a little bit, you know?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would PFT have spun it, had they spoken with Harbs? :rollseyes:

Reports were that Harbaugh wanted out, as early as last year, but as Harbaugh pointed out, "[t]here was never any opportunity to leave the San Francisco 49ers... Zero opportunity or chance of that in my mind."

Sources say that he has grown tired of the hierarchy of the organization, to which, Harbaugh confirmed that it has been the "ame things I signed on for when I signed on here as the coach," Harbaugh said. "That's been the structure since Day 1," Harbaugh lamented.

"We have a great organization... We are all part of a team," but "[a]t some point it comes down to a pool of money for the coaches." "When I started out, I was making $5 million... do[ing] five times as much work as any other coach on the staff."

"It's a principle to me that you never negotiate contracts in the press," he said. "It doesn't benefit anybody to do it publicly. I'm making this exception in talking to you right now... I want to be the highest-paid coach in football... plenty of money. I mean, plenty of money."

"The other one is that I want more power," Harbaugh said, adding, ""I really feel like we have one of the best, if not the best organizations in football." It is unknown whether he will get his power over this historical franchise, but one thing is for sure, it's Baalke or Harbaugh. "You probably don't understand the relationship between the GM and the head coach," indicating that nothing will "change anything that we do in that regard."

Last edited by a moderator:

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Reports were that Harbaugh wanted out, as early as last year, but as Harbaugh pointed out, "[t]here was never any opportunity to leave the San Francisco 49ers... Zero opportunity or chance of that in my mind."

Sources say that he has grown tired of the hierarchy of the organization, to which, Harbaugh confirmed that it has been the "ame things I signed on for when I signed on here as the coach," Harbaugh said. "That's been the structure since Day 1," Harbaugh lamented.

"We have a great organization... We are all part of a team," but "[a]t some point it comes down to a pool of money for the coaches." "When I started out, I was making $5 million... do[ing] five times as much work as any other coach on the staff."

"It's a principle to me that you never negotiate contracts in the press," he said. "It doesn't benefit anybody to do it publicly. I'm making this exception in talking to you right now... I want to be the highest-paid coach in football... plenty of money. I mean, plenty of money."

"The other one is that I want more power," Harbaugh said, adding, ""I really feel like we have one of the best, if not the best organizations in football." It is unknown whether he will get his power over this historical franchise, but one thing is for sure, it's Baalke or Harbaugh. "You probably don't understand the relationship between the GM and the head coach," indicating that nothing will "change anything that we do in that regard."

Thanks, sounds about right... :lol:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most great coaches are pains in the asses.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Blog and Q&A: Just win, baby: The prism through which Jim Harbaugh's words must be filtered

Monday wasn't the first time Jim Harbaugh - with gusto - felt compelled to set the record straight. For those just catching up, in an interview with Sports Illustrated Harbaugh dumped a barrel of ice water on the notion that: A.) He is gunning for a big contract. B.) He is unhappy with with general manager Trent Baalke and C.) He will leave the 49ers before the remaining two years of his contract expire.

In other words: Everything is great. How are you?

It was similar to Harbaugh's out-of-the-blue denial in May 2012 that the 49ers ever had an interest in signing Peyton Manning. The 49ers and Manning? Harbaugh made it sound like the most insane idea he had ever come across.

"It's an erroneous perception that we were flirting with Peyton Manning," Harbaugh said nearly two and half months after Manning signed with Denver. "I keep hearing that over and over again. It's silly, and it's untrue. It's phony."

Harbaugh insisted the 49ers were committed to Alex Smith at quarterback. Always were.

Later that year, Harbaugh made an unscheduled stop at the podium to deride, chide and otherwise shake his finger at reporters who had been critical of first-round draft pick A.J. Jenkins.

"I'll go on record: A.J. is going to be an outstanding football player," a fired-up Harbaugh said. ". ... There are these so-called experts who are making these comments, and there's going to be an I-told-you-so. I foresee that happening."

It turns out the 49ers weren't committed to Smith (traded to the Chiefs) and that Jenkins (traded to the Chiefs) was not outstanding.

Here's the common thread in both examples and in the most recent one: Harbaugh will say anything to keep his team strong. Winning comes above all else. And if you have to massage the truth here and there to keep your quarterback happy, to keep the locker room tight or to motivate a first-round pick who gets knocked to the ground in non-contact practices, you do it.

"As Mr. Al Davis said so profoundly, 'Just Win Baby,'" Harbaugh said after beating Carolina in January. The quote applies in this case, too.

Winning also is what makes Harbaugh popular in the locker room. Do you think veterans like Justin Smith and Frank Gore still love the 'who's got it better than us?' chant after three years? What they love is the fact that Harbaugh has brought them - a couple of players who had been on losing teams for most of their careers -- to within a hair's breadth to the Super Bowl in two of the three years he's been in town and nearly landed a title in the other.

That's why Anquan Boldin on Monday said he laughed when he read about a rift between Harbaugh and his players. "I heard of no griping in the locker room when it comes to coach Harbaugh," he said. "Like I said, he's a guy that wants to win. Everybody in the locker room wants to do the same thing."

Former 49ers Brian Jennings said the same thing this morning on KNBR radio: "There's no one inside the building who has more of a single focus than Jim Harbaugh," he said. That single focus: winning.

It's also the reason why, while not believing everything that comes out of Jim Harbaugh's mouth, I believe his central point from his SI interview: He does not want to leave the 49ers. His best chance of winning a Super Bowl title, after all, isn't in Cleveland, Miami or Dallas. It's here.

And finally it's the reason why Baalke will tolerate all the confrontations with Harbaugh and what will motivate Jed York to try to bridge the contract impasse with his head coach. Harbaugh knows quarterbacks, he knows how to motivate and, most of all, he knows how to win.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just want to point out that Harbaugh makes 5 million a year. Guess what 7 other coaches make more. 2 of them are NFC West coaches (Pete 7 million and Jeff at 7.5 mill) make more then Harbaugh in the West. So he is 3rd in salary in his own division. Chip Kelly makes 6.5 million.

I don't blame Harbaugh for wanting to be paid more. He has out performed his contract.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just want to point out that Harbaugh makes 5 million a year. Guess what 7 other coaches make more. 2 of them are NFC West coaches (Pete 7 million and Jeff at 7.5 mill) make more then Harbaugh in the West. So he is 3rd in salary in his own division. Chip Kelly makes 6.5 million.

I don't blame Harbaugh for wanting to be paid more. He has out performed his contract.

9 make 7 million or more, but same point. Breaking down Jim Harbaugh-49ers saga - San Francisco 49ers Blog - ESPN

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow didn't realize that. Ya no doubt he deserves a raise, just not highest paid coach kinda raise yet.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow didn't realize that. Ya no doubt he deserves a raise, just not highest paid coach kinda raise yet.

Admittedly, this is speaking from not ever seeing anywhere close to comparable amounts of money as the Niners have (so I might be too dismissive), but without a cap on coaching pay, I don't see the point in resisting so much. I mean, yes, you jack up the prices for other coaches and set precedence, but you locked your coach up - the increase from that is on OTHER teams. Then, in five years, he's either worth that next amount or not.

Big caveat: I say this because SOMEONE is ALREADY GOING TO OFFER THE NEXT BIG COACHING CONTRACT to someone that breaks the record. So in five years, we're dealing with the same situation. What's the big deal about being the first?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think part of the problem is the assistants are amongst the highest paid already.