• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sources: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
JUST PAY THE MAN!!! Take the difference out of the salary cap if you need to. 8 million? 9 million? 10? Who cares? Just pay him.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbs is under contract for 2 more years.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes... I'm getting a bit tired of hearing of another team looking to pick up Harbs. If the 9ers are shopping him just get it done already! :gaah: If JH is shopping for himself...fuck-off and leave! Enough of this bull-shit.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but he is under contract to the 49ers?

I had the same question, but no one responded.

Yeah, I don't think it was bad enough for that, but if he bailed, wouldn't that mean sitting out two years if no buyout? I know, he could go to college football for two and then come back to the NFL, but he doesn't have a coach option to leave to another NFL team, does he? I know Urban Meyer when he was at Utah and Florida had a clause saying he could leave to be the Notre Dame coach if offered without penalty (I'm sure he couldn't be paid for the remaining contract years but there'd be no other repercussions from Florida/Utah).

I guess I shouldn't have said it was the same question, I just wanted to know how he could bail if he wanted to. It basically would be coach in college, sit out two years, buy out, or demand (and get) a trade. But the way it was posed sounded like it was an easy thing that would have happened already if the story were true. Those options are hard to do even if he wanted to bail.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I shouldn't have said it was the same question, I just wanted to know how he could bail if he wanted to. It basically would be coach in college, sit out two years, buy out, or demand (and get) a trade. But the way it was posed sounded like it was an easy thing that would have happened already if the story were true. Those options are hard to do even if he wanted to bail.

I agree, I guess he would have to give up the cash and then it is unclear if he would be allowed to sign with someone else.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I guess he would have to give up the cash and then it is unclear if he would be allowed to sign with someone else.

If a player does it, they have to sit out or get bought out... or in Favre's case, retire with a high enough monetary reason for the team to release, too. And then, go to his team. I don't know why the Jets released Favre when he retired the second time. When Favre retired the first time, the Packers retained his rights. They could have benched him and kept him or he could have sat out retired with no pay.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree just pay the man. He has out performed his contract. I don't blame him for being pissed. either do it or get rid of him(hope its signing him.) We need Harbaugh more then Harbaugh needs us. Do the right think and sign him.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way Harbaugh can coach another team is through trade or buyout.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If the Niners repeat the Jimmy Johnson debacle of the 90's I don't know what I'll do.

It feels like a bad moon is rising on the Niners these days. I'm hoping to read that Harbaugh agrees to a 7 year contract extension & forget about this story completely.

If he does go he needs to take DumbDumb with him.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now, this probably won't happen and if it did, it would have to happen with the Niners cooperation, but if it did, do you think it best for Kaepernick to wait until next year to sign an extension?

1. If Harbaugh went to Miami, Kaepernick could go with him.
2. Older defense and no Harbaugh here would hurt his chances of success.
2. Winning a SB this year would up the amount (though they could rectify that later).

An extension now is good for security in case of injury. Plus, he'd be paid now. But if this report were true and it happened, being stuck here without Harbaugh and an older defense might be more unappealing than Miami with Harbaugh. I think Kaepernick is confident he can play without Harbaugh, but it'd be a good thing. See what happens with Crabtree, too? Miami could be SF East.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree just pay the man. He has out performed his contract. I don't blame him for being pissed. either do it or get rid of him(hope its signing him.) We need Harbaugh more then Harbaugh needs us. Do the right think and sign him.

Specifically, I agree and I suppose these things are always case by case. But if another coach in the NFL led their team to three straight SB or penultimate games, I wouldn't necessarily say just pay the man. But here, I think Harbaugh is unique and I think he could go elsewhere.

I posted before that he's asking now the same thing he'll ask after a SB victory which may not happen. Why not wait until that victory and extend or wait for it not to happen and offer between 6-8? It isn't like the price goes up if not extended now.

No duh, huh? But in contrast to Kaepernick's deal, there is no incentive besides him leaving to offer more now than arguably earned.

So it comes down to a gamble on whether he'd leave if offered the max after a SB victory. If no SB victory, does his cost go up? No. Go down? Maybe. Stay the same? Probably.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sick nailed it. He wants 10 million a year? Pay him. We give guys like Dahl, Baldwin, and Spillman 1.5 million a year to play, Harbaugh is easily worth 10 million. And there is no cap. Who cares, just pay him whatever he wants.

Now, if its an issue of control...obviously that's much more tricky to navigate.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JUST PAY THE MAN!!! Take the difference out of the salary cap if you need to. 8 million? 9 million? 10? Who cares? Just pay him.

don't think money is the real issue, fail to believe Jed is trying to drill the amount down? based on Harbaugh's performance in the last three years, EVERYONE in America knows he's EARNED a big pay day.

so why wouldn't Jed 'just pay the man"? because where's there's smoke, there's fire. so Jed is using that 'win a SB first', as his out......his ONLY out. IF "working relationships" has already gone past the point of no return, paying Harbaugh WON'T fix the real problem.

JPurthe1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
don't think money is the real issue, fail to believe Jed is trying to drill the amount down? based on Harbaugh's performance in the last three years, EVERYONE in America knows he's EARNED a big pay day.

so why wouldn't Jed 'just pay the man"? because where's there's smoke, there's fire. so Jed is using that 'win a SB first', as his out......his ONLY out. IF "working relationships" has already gone past the point of no return, paying Harbaugh WON'T fix the real problem.

Yep, we need to get something for Harbs. I see Miami wanting him with a lame duck GM & coach.

:agree:

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
He's not worth 10 mil. If we could've got 2 1st & 2nd for him. We should've done it,
but now it's a damn mess.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sick nailed it. He wants 10 million a year? Pay him. We give guys like Dahl, Baldwin, and Spillman 1.5 million a year to play, Harbaugh is easily worth 10 million. And there is no cap. Who cares, just pay him whatever he wants.

Now, if its an issue of control...obviously that's much more tricky to navigate.

I guarantee that it's not just about money. Gotta be some control issues there as well.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I guarantee that it's not just about money. Gotta be some control issues there as well.

So Jim wants Baalke's job huh?

Why not trade Baalke to the Browns for draft picks instead? They could use a GM with a clue.

Harbaugh >>>>>> Baalke

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'll take Harbaugh over Baalke any day. Good coaches are way harder to come by. The Niners can just promote a senior scout to head of player personnel to help Harbaugh out. Plus Paraag can take over more of the front office duties.

I see more viable alternatives for Baalke, than I do for Harbaugh. That's what it comes down to and I hope Jed York's loyalty doesn't blind him. He's actually hurt the franchise by not trading away Harbaugh during the small window. I'd be much more confident in a new coach if we had those 1st rd draft picks.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to break it to everyone but there's a 10% chance Harbs is our coach in three years. I'd say there's a 1% chance he makes it to a total of 10 years. He's not a guy who's going to endear himself to an organization. His schtick is going to wear thin. He's also a burnout risk.

I love Harbs but I'd strongly consider taking a bunch of picks for him. No one is irreplaceable. Call David Shaw. Give Roman a shot. Heck what about Tomsula. Dude's gonna leave. Let's get something for him.

He needs a SB or he's Marv Levy or Dan Reeves with an anger management issue.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I hate to break it to everyone but there's a 10% chance Harbs is our coach in three years.

On what are you basing this?

If his departure is inevitable, then I agree they should deal him. Might as well start from scratch with a gluttony of draft picks.

But if he just wants final say on personnel decisions and / or a ton of money then give it to him! If he wants a harem of secretaries to follow him around fanning him, feeding him grapes & newly pressing his khakis every 2 hours then make it happen!

I just hope they don't let some petty bull shit ruin the franchise. Harbaugh is the best thing that's happened to the franchise since Bill Walsh was HC. He's the most valuable piece the team has (ahead of Aldon Smith).