• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sources: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Does this story even have legs? Anyone can inquire about a player or coach, but how serious was the actual discussion. Words like "opportunity" are subjective, can mean different things from different POV's. From the Browns POV, just getting the 49ers to listen to an opening discussion could constitute an "oppotunity". It seems like the media is really enjoying the story from afar, but has there been any talk from the reporters closest to the 49ers organization to say there was anything concrete?

The Cleveland fanbase has been in an uproar recently, and I think its possible that the Browns hierarchy will rosy up anything at this point to make themselves look worthy in their fanbases eye's...

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of the reasoning behind this story getting continued play is more because we are in the slowest news month for the NFL rather than this being a story that merits attention. Everyone is already aware of the Baalke/Harbaugh tension which fuels the perception that there may be something to this.

As a Seahawks fan I absolutely love the fact that there seems to be some front office drama for you guys but in reality I'm pretty sure the reality of the situation is extremely mundane and trivial

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm it did happen. Word leaked out about it from the Cleveland side and now the Niners are running damage control. Don't be so naive. Harbaugh admitted in January that he spoke to the Cleveland Browns about coaches. Mike Lombardi and him are buddies. Are you gonna sit there and lie to yourself that Mike didn't check with Harbs to see if he wanted top dollar to come save his neck in Cleveland?

Haha, anyway. Who's being naive, again?

RhojiF

Rhoji
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Trading the guy who brought back the hope for this franchise, and then extending a mediocre QB who cost us 2 Super Bowls?

I hope this doesn't happen, because I really don't think I have enough emotion to handle something horrible like that happens.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IF it is bad a working relationship, York won't be able to fix it. you can't just talk high ego guys back together, they have to do it on their own. you can't just offer more money and problem solved, so odds are this bad situation will continue.

so IF it is that bad - extending to more FO people - then Harbaugh will be gone anyway. if Harbaugh is going to leave anyway, why not get a lot of draft picks? cause IF I know it is that bad and project it is 'unrepairable', wouldn't even extend Harbaugh.

ok, that is a lot of IF's.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading the guy who brought back the hope for this franchise, and then extending a mediocre QB who cost us 2 Super Bowls?

I hope this doesn't happen, because I really don't think I have enough emotion to handle something horrible like that happens.

Me either.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I don't know I just feel that if the situation was as bad as it's being made to sound Harbaugh could've very easily bailed already.

He would be in high demand and would be able to command a huge deal from whatever teams pursue him.

Of course I'm not disputing things aren't all sunshine and rainbows in the front office but with his personality it's just going to be like that where ever he goes. Walsh and DeBartolo had plenty of spats during their time together as well.

I believe when it comes down to it Baalke and Harbaugh clash because Baalke thinks more in the long term and Harbaugh thinks more in the short term.

Which oddly enough probably makes them perfect for each other because Harbaugh keeps Baalke from thinking too long term and Baalke keeps Harbaugh in check by making sure we aren't pouring everything into one year and not being able to be competitive down the road.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its all going to boil down to Baalke vs. Harbaugh...

and if that is the case...

Harbaugh should win this one... he's the better talent... I don't even think its close...

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know I just feel that if the situation was as bad as it's being made to sound Harbaugh could've very easily bailed already.

He would be in high demand and would be able to command a huge deal from whatever teams pursue him.

Of course I'm not disputing things aren't all sunshine and rainbows in the front office but with his personality it's just going to be like that where ever he goes. Walsh and DeBartolo had plenty of spats during their time together as well.

I believe when it comes down to it Baalke and Harbaugh clash because Baalke thinks more in the long term and Harbaugh thinks more in the short term.

Which oddly enough probably makes them perfect for each other because Harbaugh keeps Baalke from thinking too long term and Baalke keeps Harbaugh in check by making sure we aren't pouring everything into one year and not being able to be competitive down the road.

He wants personnel say so it could be more than just money. Baalke and Maraathe aren't going away. Those are Yorks buds and there isn't anything wrong with that.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its all about leverage here people, 49ers probably said you don't like what we are offering? Okay well we are going to send you to Cleveland where careers go to die. And Harbs was probably like hell no, I expect a contract extension sometime soon.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is getting bad. I hope this doesn't blow up in our face. We need Harbaugh.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think its all going to boil down to Baalke vs. Harbaugh...

and if that is the case...

Harbaugh should win this one... he's the better talent... I don't even think its close...

Harbaugh is easily the more valuable one but he might not win out because the team's thinking could be that he would be too high maintenance to be worth it.

You could get rid of Baalke and make him happy for that moment but how long would it be before he's unhappy with someone or something else

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well doesnt he still have 2 years left on his contract?

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see how he does this year and go from there

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I don't think it was bad enough for that, but if he bailed, wouldn't that mean sitting out two years if no buyout? I know, he could go to college football for two and then come back to the NFL, but he doesn't have a coach option to leave to another NFL team, does he? I know Urban Meyer when he was at Utah and Florida had a clause saying he could leave to be the Notre Dame coach if offered without penalty (I'm sure he couldn't be paid for the remaining contract years but there'd be no other repercussions from Florida/Utah).

Based

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tweeted Yed York on Saturday telling him fans prefer Harbaugh over Baalke and if Harbaugh leaves the 49ers he's organization will lose support and he blocked me. My statement was something he probably didn't want to hear.