• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sources: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How's about 5-6, 8-11, and 13-14?

You pickin' cherries dawg?

No, I said SOME of the teams, and those clearly have better redzone targets than we do. Our ranking might even be a little better had Crabs played the entire year, too.

As for 13-14, does it make that much of a difference to you had we been ranked 13th or 14th? Would we have good redzone offense then? What's the threshold?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vernon Davis has HORRIBLE ball skills. Anquan Boldin has good ball skills, but he's not a BIG threat like Megatron, Fitzgerald, Marshall, Jeffery, etc. etc.

The 49ers were 15th, but look at some of the teams in front of them:

1. Denver - Demaryius Thomas and Julius Thomas
2. Cincinnati - AJ Green
3. Dallas - Dez Bryant
4. Detroit - Calvin Johnson
7. Chicago - Brandon Marshall AND Alshon Jeffery
12. New Orleans - Jimmy Graham

Which guy on the 49ers rosters compares to those guys in the redzone as a threat?

I wouldn't say Davis is "horrible". When given the opportuity he generally comes through. I think he's had a couple of seasons were he had 12 or 13 TD catches and has made some big ones in big games. Seems more of a problem with Kaepernick's fear of the middle of the field inside the 20 rather than Davis' "horrible" ball skills.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would doubt that Harbs is going anywhere. There may have been talks from the Browns to the 9ers. I do know that the Harb family would not have this ,Dad would nix this for sure.....two HCs in the same division....no way.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This story is all over the place. A caller from SF told a national radio station that the local SF stations were reporting that Harbaugh's wife nixed the deal. How would they know? Even if this were true, do you think she'd be the one talking (and a leaking reporter heard it) or Harbaugh would tell the Browns/Niners, "sorry, wifey says no"? Harbaugh, if consulted, would say it was his choice.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would doubt that Harbs is going anywhere. There may have been talks from the Browns to the 9ers. I do know that the Harb family would not have this ,Dad would nix this for sure.....two HCs in the same division....no way.

Not until his contract is up. He'll have worn out his welcome by then. I believe the 49ers will struggle next year with the injury to Bowman, the aging of Justin Smith and the continued regression of Kaepernick. This will weigh heavily on Harbaugh and he'll bolt while his reputation is still intact..

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not until his contract is up. He'll have worn out his welcome by then. I believe the 49ers will struggle next year with the injury to Bowman, the aging of Justin Smith and the continued regression of Kaepernick. This will weigh heavily on Harbaugh and he'll bolt while his reputation is still intact..
JH has gotten something out of the team that was missing...the talent was there in most spots but the faith of getting the win was not. He is needed and I hope they pay him to continue. He has unfinished business to be considered as a top NFL HC. Bowman will heal for a season and be back a monster. J Smiith will see his last days as a 9er soon ,sorry to say, and Kap will fail without JH helping him out.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JH has gotten something out of the team that was missing...the talent was there in most spots but the faith of getting the win was not. He is needed and I hope they pay him to continue. He has unfinished business to be considered as a top NFL HC. Bowman will heal for a season and be back a monster. J Smiith will see his last days as a 9er soon ,sorry to say, and Kap will fail without JH helping him out.

You played right into Concern Troll's hands.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You played right into Concern Troll's hands.
Not really. I know Toby gets others panties in a bunch but I don't feel that he is a troll. When one questions a teams' actions they should not be labeled as a negative. The 9ers fans can't go on and say "who's got it better than us". We really need to figure out how the 9ers will win the Lombari instead of sniffing it once a year.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. I know Toby gets others panties in a bunch but I don't feel that he is a troll. When one questions a teams' actions they should not be labeled as a negative. The 9ers fans can't go on and say "who's got it better than us". We really need to figure out how the 9ers will win the Lombari instead of sniffing it once a year.

You clearly have never read any of his posts.

He's the biggest troll I have ever seen on any message board. Also, not sure if its his senile-addled schtick or what but he doesn't know much about the roster, the coaching staff, or the actual games that are played. He's not a real fan, just a sad little man with too much time on his hands and nothing better to do then troll the last forum he hasn't been perma-banned from.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You clearly have never read any of his posts.

He's the biggest troll I have ever seen on any message board. Also, not sure if its his senile-addled schtick or what but he doesn't know much about the roster, the coaching staff, or the actual games that are played. He's not a real fan, just a sad little man with too much time on his hands and nothing better to do then troll the last forum he hasn't been perma-banned from.
He might be everything you say he is. I only responded to things that I post about so I may not know why he has some posters calling him a troll. He has never giving me a response that I would label him a troll..including the response he gave me that started you guys calling a troll.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Paying him to continue and what he wants may not be the same. Play your leverage if you have any - until there's a team out there that he would likely like and succeed with and is near/out of contract. He's asking for more than the maximum, we could pay him the maximum when he 's up for a new contract. We are the best spot for him now and he has his QB, I think.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I disagree with the bold. Winning the SB > Losing and didn't John go to the AFCC more times? (4 or 5 times) One missed playoffs doesn't counter that. Our Harbaugh could best that soon, though.

I realize after reading it again using John was a poor example.

My larger point that I was trying to convey was I don't think the team should get hung up with the lack of Super Bowl win when it comes to contract talks.

Being in the NFC Championship game twice and the Super Bowl once and barely losing all 3 of those games is quite a feat especially in the NFC.

And I don't think enough credit is given to this years run when we had 4 straight road games against tough teams in tough places to play.

So I have to echo what Clyde has said in that I firmly believe he's worth getting paid among the top coaches in the league and I wouldn't take issue if he was the top paid coach in the league.

My take is there is no salary cap on coaches so give him top dollar which should keep him happy and move forward. For one I don't think he's the type that's never not going to give it his all when it comes to coaching even if he's unhappy with a situation. Secondly if he does become unhappy and wants to leave than let him walk away from the money and move on with someone else.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize after reading it again using John was a poor example.

My larger point that I was trying to convey was I don't think the team should get hung up with the lack of Super Bowl win when it comes to contract talks.

Being in the NFC Championship game twice and the Super Bowl once and barely losing all 3 of those games is quite a feat especially in the NFC.

And I don't think enough credit is given to this years run when we had 4 straight road games against tough teams in tough places to play.

So I have to echo what Clyde has said in that I firmly believe he's worth getting paid among the top coaches in the league and I wouldn't take issue if he was the top paid coach in the league.

My take is there is no salary cap on coaches so give him top dollar which should keep him happy and move forward. For one I don't think he's the type that's never not going to give it his all when it comes to coaching even if he's unhappy with a situation. Secondly if he does become unhappy and wants to leave than let him walk away from the money and move on with someone else.

Maybe that's part of the reason they aren't rushing to make him happy? They'll get the same effort, save money, can up it if wins, and will earn less if he doesn't.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the only risk York has is him leaving after a SB. What is he asking now? Max deal, 8/Y. If he wins next year, what will he ask? Max deal, 8/Y. What will he ask if he loses next year but wins in 2015? Max deal, 8/Y - unless the 2014 winner gets more.

The risk is him going to another team after a SB here and turning down a 8-9 /Y deal. If he wins neither and leaves, we could lose him, but his max deal demands are weaker. 7/Y might do it. I won't say that he wouldn't be worth keeping if we don't win in the next two years, but that'll be a stronger argument than now. Plus, our window could be more shut (though draft could avoid this).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
don't think the bigger problem is money, it is how well Harbaugh and Baalke are getting along? it'll never be 100% buddy-buddy, same as any GM-HC working relationship. but if it is at a point where they can't work together, THEN you might as well get something in a trade.

can't help believe there IS an issue between the two, and my GUESS is Harbaugh initiated conversation with Lombardi....to gauge what is out there? also can't help believe York knows it and hence considered this trade.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jim Harbaugh - C - 49ers

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam confirmed at the Combine that his team did attempt to acquire Jim Harbaugh from the 49ers earlier this offseason.

The 49ers' front office has vehemently denied talks occurred, but Haslam didn't back down when pressed by USA Today's Jarrett Bell. "There was an opportunity there, and it didn't materialize," said Haslam. It's entirely unclear what sort of compensation San Francisco was seeking, but pretty clear at this point that the Niners may be headed for a divorce with Harbaugh, probably after next season. It's worth noting Dolphins owner Stephen Ross pursued Harbaugh aggressively when he was leaving Stanford. Current Fins GM Dennis Hickey and coach Joe Philbin are believed to be a lame-duck pairing entering 2014.
Related: Browns, Dolphins
Source: USA Today

Feb 23 - 7:25 PM

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What does he have to explain? PFT said that the Browns nearly traded for Harbough. That means a deal was close to being done. York said that report was not true and that's it. The Browns owner says they talked about a deal with Harbough and "there was an opportunity there, and it didn't materialize". There's a huge difference between "nearly trading" to "there was an opportunity". An opportunity could be the Browns asking "Could we trade for Harbs?" and the Niners say "For what" and then say no after they hear the offer.

The fact that Florio still continues to look for people to justify his sensationalism of a non-story is just sad.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Harbaugh - C - 49ers

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam confirmed at the Combine that his team did attempt to acquire Jim Harbaugh from the 49ers earlier this offseason.

The 49ers' front office has vehemently denied talks occurred, but Haslam didn't back down when pressed by USA Today's Jarrett Bell. "There was an opportunity there, and it didn't materialize," said Haslam. It's entirely unclear what sort of compensation San Francisco was seeking, but pretty clear at this point that the Niners may be headed for a divorce with Harbaugh, probably after next season. It's worth noting Dolphins owner Stephen Ross pursued Harbaugh aggressively when he was leaving Stanford. Current Fins GM Dennis Hickey and coach Joe Philbin are believed to be a lame-duck pairing entering 2014.
Related: Browns, Dolphins
Source: USA Today

Feb 23 - 7:25 PM

Pretty clear they are headed for a divorce? :lol::wtf2:

It's seems pretty clear that these are contract negotiation moves.

It's worth noting that Harbs didn't want to go to the Fins and the Fins pulled back the massive contract that they were offering. But that's the landing spot for him 3 years later. Fascinating logic USA today.